charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread: The End is Near.

Disney/Pixar’s Onward is dropping steeper than the usual 45% (or less) for an animated pic’s second-weekend hold, with $16 million, -59%, just like Good Dinosaur‘s Weekend 2 drop. The latest pic is eyeing a $4.3M Friday, -64%, and a 10-day total by Sunday of $65.8M.

Lionsgate’s I Still Believewhich I’ve heard has had some solid advance sales from church groups, is seeing $3.8M and a three-day total of $10.3M, just outside the $11M-$14M industry tracking was seeing. Friday’s gross includes Wednesday and Thursday previews.

All the Vin Diesel fans appear as though they showed up last night for Sony’s Bloodshot, as Friday only looks to be $3.4M for a three-day cume of $8.4M.

Universal/Blumhouse’s The Invisible Man looks to outflank the duo studios’ satirical genre opener The Hunt, $6.4M to $5.7M. The latter is seeing a Friday of $2.25M, including last night’s $435,000. Invisible Man is eyeing a Friday of $1.83M, -60%, with a third weekend that’s down 58%. The running total by Sunday looks to be $64.8M.

While STX moved My Spy to April 17, the family movie opened in Canada at 125 theaters in three markets via local distributor Elevation.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

charlie had Onward's Friday at sub 4M and deadline are saying 4.3M? :thinking:

Maybe 3 mil now after Trump announced national emergency? Evening shows are gonna be dead. Would be even worse if tomm stays flat too. 80% 2nd weekend drop possible?

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1

Onward will always have a weird ass * after the total gross. We will never know what it would have done in total in a normal market. This kind of hold would never have happened but that is all we can actually know. Will forever have to throw it out of discussions on averages for Pixar (other than OW). 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Did people think I was joking last weekend when I was suggesting an 80M finish? I was not joking.

This is your BO on national pandemic.

Didnt laugh as much as put it in the "worst case scenario" column that we sadly were not going to avoid. 

This is not a surprise. BO will take a big hit. One thing I am seeing is Big cities(NYC/LA) are taking a big hit and so MTC1 is under performing big time. 

I looked at onward and it looks like dropping around 55% from last week(true friday). But one cannot extrapolate impact of COVID-19. it could be positive if night shows are empty and that makes folks go to theater to relatively empty shows. None of the movies playing are going to be busy anyway. 

• Thanks 2

I'd say good that the openers matched their expectations given the panic going around, but it's not like said expectations were high to begin with for any of them.

Depending on what the numbers look like tomorrow and Sunday it wouldn't be much of a surprise if theaters announced on Monday that they're closing for the rest of the month. The entire spring box office is now gone and most other entertainment venues for mass gatherings (sports, theme parks, Broadway, etc.) have already closed or are about to.