Eric Duncan

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

20 hours ago, excel1 said:

Batman Begins an all-time BAD marketing campaign which was widely loathed upon release. Though I have always wondered how much higher it would have opened if WB's choice #1 the much more famous (at the time) Josh Hartnett had accepted the role.

Also, Scarecrow and a then unknown to GA Ra's Al Ghul were not the best choices for villains if the goal was to make maximum $$. I kinda like that Reeves made some business savvy decisions like casting one of Hollywood's biggest heartthrobs as Bruce and featuring Catwoman, Riddler and Penguin right off the bat.

And all in a way that actually seems appealing and not cynical. 

8 hours ago, excel1 said:

Batman Begins an all-time BAD marketing campaign which was widely loathed upon release. Though I have always wondered how much higher it would have opened if WB's choice #1 the much more famous (at the time) Josh Hartnett had accepted the role.

As an eyewitness from that era, I thought the ads were fine? I mean they did their jump hyping me up. I just think that BB was hobbled by B&R and (again as an eyewitness from that era) even with the enthusiastic reviews, alot of people just thought he was just regular Batman again (i.e. unless I'm a comic book fanboy homer, why do I need to see this in theaters now?) and didn't wait until video (which BB was a total gangbusters hit.) I know it's now CW that TDK did what it did because of Heath Ledger's pre-release passing adding a morbid curiosity/hype to it, and there is truth to that. But it ignores how much people discovered it on DVD inbetween '05 and '08.  

I wouldn't be shocked if The Batman doesn't do the billions that some locals are forecasting. Now if the movie is damn friggin good like BB was? Then that sequel will hit that mark. 

Another interesting thing to point out from Quorum: The Batman has roughly the same or even slightly higher amount of interest/awarenesss as Spider-Man No Way Home did 2 months before release. (The Batman: 57.78% awareness, 6.58 interest, 56% willing to see it in theaters on January 3rd, 2022. Spider-Man: 52.27% awareness, 6.56 interest, 56% willing to see it in theaters on October 7th, 2021)

And the amount of interest/awareness generated from The Batman's first teaser 1 month after its posting was significantly higher than the interest of Spider-Man No Way Home's 1 month after its posting. (The Batman: 63% awareness, 7.05 interest, 49% willing to see it in theaters on September 17th 2020. Spider-Man: 53.85% awareness, 6.44 interest, 53% willing to see it in theaters on September 21st, 2021)

Maybe WB isn't stupid for thinking they have a Spidey-level event in their hands, it's literally what the data is telling them.

• Thanks 1

I think the spidey level even is also relative, The highest grossing DCEU film ever is at $1.148 bil and WB probably thinks The Batman can get close to that so it would be kind of like NWH which is gonna becoming the 3rd highest grossing mcu film ever and #2 if you take out china grosses

23 minutes ago, 21C said:

Another interesting thing to point out from Quorum: The Batman has roughly the same or even slightly higher amount of interest/awarenesss as Spider-Man No Way Home did 2 months before release. (The Batman: 57.78% awareness, 6.58 interest, 56% willing to see it in theaters on January 3rd, 2022. Spider-Man: 52.27% awareness, 6.56 interest, 56% willing to see it in theaters on October 7th, 2021)

And the amount of interest/awareness generated from The Batman's first teaser 1 month after its posting was significantly higher than the interest of Spider-Man No Way Home's 1 month after its posting. (The Batman: 63% awareness, 7.05 interest, 49% willing to see it in theaters on September 17th 2020. Spider-Man: 53.85% awareness, 6.44 interest, 53% willing to see it in theaters on September 21st, 2021)

Maybe WB isn't stupid for thinking they have a Spidey-level event in their hands, it's literally what the data is telling them.

Quorum data is noisy and shouldn't be taken too literally. We know for sure that neither Batman trailer got anywhere close to the level of buzz of NWH trailer 1 or even NWH trailer 2. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Quorum data is noisy and shouldn't be taken too literally. We know for sure that neither Batman trailer got anywhere close to the level of buzz of NWH trailer 1 or even NWH trailer 2. 

Oh yeah, and I don't think it'll do the same box office wise either. But I do think The Batman will make 50%-70% of what NWH will do, and this helps that notion.