Eric Duncan

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

TBF Comic Book movies are way bigger now everywhere than they were during the Nolan trilogy days, I always harken to Aquaman which made $521 mil overseas (NOT including its china gross) I don't see why a really good batman film couldn't do that or even better  assuming covid isn't causing shutdowns

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonahVex said:

I know it won't happen and kinda doesn't make sense but hypothetically lets say the 2nd movie is Battinson vs Joaquin's Joker, how much do you guys think that could make?

Batman would be beating up an old man if this were the case. The Batman is modern day and Joker is 1980s

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Batman is not that popular in OS markets. At height of Nolan trilogy, TDKR grossed tad under 650m(of course without 3D). This with uncertain environment 400m OS would be good. Domestic 250m+ is great. what is more important is the reception. If that is strong, sequel will have much bigger potential. 

And Joker earned 728 million overseas, and the opening weekend for BvS was I think the highest in history before its terrible word of mouth. The audience for Batman has grown considerably the last 10 years. He's a character with compound interest in terms of popularity because of how much new media of him gets released each year and how emblematic his previous stuff has been. There's a whole demographic of teenagers and young adults that are now into Batman that weren't there 10 years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonahVex said:

Imagine if the first Reeves movie beats out TDKR at the box office

I mean, that was 10 years ago, and the horrible massacre was an insane buzzkill that cost the box office a ton of money. TDKR opening weekend would have easily set the admissions record without the shooting.

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

I mean, that was 10 years ago, and the horrible massacre was an insane buzzkill that cost the box office a ton of money. TDKR opening weekend would have easily set the admissions record without the shooting.

Don't forget its Chinese release was shaggy as retaliation for something Bale did at the time (I can't remember exactly and I'm too lazy to Google) which annoyed Beijing. Theoretically if that marketplace is open, it'll have that advantage over TDKR

15 hours ago, 21C said:

Batman marketing has been going for way long time than most film. Wakanda ,Thor and Avatar still don't have teaser.

DS2 teaser was released in mid December. I would have been shocked if the result were different

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, 21C said:

Would you have said the same thing about Joker? I think a billion is extremely plausible and would be a certainty if not for COVID.

I did not expect even $500m for Joker. I have been following BO for 20 years and it is, maybe next to Avatar and Bohemian Rhapsody, the most shocking result I have ever seen.

I think today people, precisely because of Covid, want to see something funnier or more colorful (just my feeling). I am really excited about this film. I want SH genre can make different things beyond MCU formula and this film seems different for sure. But if it makes a billion I will be shocked. 

Edited by peludo
  • Like 3

On 1/4/2022 at 8:21 PM, excel1 said:

Batman Begins an all-time BAD marketing campaign which was widely loathed upon release. Though I have always wondered how much higher it would have opened if WB's choice #1 the much more famous (at the time) Josh Hartnett had accepted the role.

You really do have a Hartnett fetish!  😅 

7 hours ago, RRA said:

Don't forget its Chinese release was shaggy as retaliation for something Bale did at the time (I can't remember exactly and I'm too lazy to Google) which annoyed Beijing. Theoretically if that marketplace is open, it'll have that advantage over TDKR

Bale visited a human rights-activist under house arrest.  I knew it already, but it took me 1.5 seconds to Google that.  Don't get lazy -- especially on Chinese Government issues -- it's how they got away with so much already!   

21 minutes ago, Macleod said:

You really do have a Hartnett fetish!  😅  

Not really, I just view things through the eyes of film producers. He was a way more famous and popular than Bale. The opening weekend would have looked a lot better if the star been different, though Bale was clearly a better actor. Had Josh Hartnett of 2002 accept the role of Batman or Superman for 2005 release, he would have been the most famous person to ever play a superhero origin at the time. That would have absolutely earned there films more media coverage and ultimately more money.

The unmade McG/Michael Bay-Josh Hartnett/Anthony Hopkins/Robert Downey Jr Superman film based on JJ Abrams "Superman meets Independence Day" script would have been one of the most anticipated films ever had it made its Christas 2004 release. This is an enormous "What if?" for DC and film finance fans because that would have been a truly massive opener. Instead we got the unmarketable Superman Returns and WB opened it a week before the Pirates 2 behemoth. 🤮

Edited by excel1

48 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

it was a serious drama and not big budgeted action movie. It ended up beating even endgame in few markets !!!! its OS-C is simply crazy. 

Crimes of Grindelwald beat Infinity War in Germany.

bruh-swag.gif

sarah-bowie-crumb-guzzling.gif

13 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Really? In a post-Ledger landscape? 

TDK is a Batman film with Joker being the villain. Joker is a drama film talking about mental diseases. It is not the kind of film that makes 1 billion, not even close. At least, I did not see it coming.

• Like 2