Eric Prime

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

40 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I hope I am wrong badly.

I think everyone on this forum hopes you are wrong but thanks for putting in the effort seeing as we haven’t gotten numbers from anywhere else yet. 

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If both Tenet and Mulan do disastrously this weekend, I think it just shows that there's no space at all for big-budget blockbusters atm (which might actually be a good thing).

I really hope Candyman still opens in October.  

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

If both Tenet and Mulan do disastrously this weekend, I think it just shows that there's no space at all for big-budget blockbusters atm (which might actually be a good thing).

at least tenet does well os 

• Thanks 1

IF, and it’s a big IF, the numbers aren’t where they even thought they’d be low-end, then I can definitely see WB releasing it to digital in the next month. 

we’ll see what happens, but if there’s evidence the US is miles behind how audiences are coming out overseas, then we really might see international only releases for the big guns left in 2020, with digital a couple of weeks later stateside. I don’t know. Nothing will surprise me, but let’s see how Tenet does both this weekend and next....

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

My galaxy brain take: I always thought Tenet's trailers weren't great and it was bound to disappoint a little relative to y'alls expectations (my prediction in old thread before pandemic was like 50/140) and that if Wonder Woman 84 had been the big opener this weekend we would perhaps all be singing a different tune. 

• Disbelief 1

5 hours ago, imbruglia said:

This looks okay - not bad at all

What did i miss? Why are the last few posts so pessimistic?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

IF, and it’s a big IF, the numbers aren’t where they even thought they’d be low-end, then I can definitely see WB releasing it to digital in the next month. 

we’ll see what happens, but if there’s evidence the US is miles behind how audiences are coming out overseas, then we really might see international only releases for the big guns left in 2020, with digital a couple of weeks later stateside. I don’t know. Nothing will surprise me, but let’s see how Tenet does both this weekend and next....

I'm not sure they'd rush release it to digital, rather than try and see if they can work the long game.

I'm way more interested to see what the numbers, if lower than expected, means for Wonder Woman 1984. It's release is now less than a month away (Oct 2nd), and a lower weekend for Tenet will really deflate hopes for massive B.O. for that one... 

• Founder / Operator
20 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

This looks okay - not bad at all

What did i miss? Why are the last few posts so pessimistic?

16 minutes ago, excel1 said:

$35m through Labor Day would be OUTSTANDING imo.

Much as I/we appreciate the vote of confidence, I would like to stress that coming in under that forecast was/is still considered a strong possibility when that report came out (as much is stated in the written report). There's no real way to define what success is this weekend other than simply being open for business.

Projecting has always been an inexact science and is enormously more volatile right now for obvious reasons. Looking at some raw data today, I'm thinking we may have over-estimated potential walk-up business for this weekend... but we'll see when the numbers drop. The sampling is completely thrown off without a completely open market and the uncertainty about how many people actually know theaters are even open in the States (I've heard a major industry tracking source polled only one-third of people were aware entering the weekend).

And of course, opening weekend won't tell the whole story on this movie. Let's all be patient and see how the daily/weekly holds go throughout the month. :)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Much as I/we appreciate the vote of confidence, I would like to stress that coming in under that forecast was/is still considered a strong possibility when that report came out (as much is stated in the written report). There's no real way to define what success is this weekend other than simply being open for business.

Projecting has always been an inexact science and is enormously more volatile right now for obvious reasons. Looking at some raw data today, I'm thinking we may have over-estimated potential walk-up business for this weekend... but we'll see when the numbers drop. The sampling is completely thrown off without a completely open market and the uncertainty about how many people actually know theaters are even open in the States (I've heard a major industry tracking source polled only one-third of people were aware entering the weekend).

And of course, opening weekend won't tell the whole story on this movie. Let's all be patient and see how the daily/weekly holds go throughout the month. :)

wow thats actualy very very important thing to note

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

That article was written days before Charlie's numbers from yesterday, I think...

Ah. I thought that article was updated based on time of posting...

Let's hope numbers are good. If not, i hate to say this..but Disney might be onto something here with D+ experiment of Mulan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Ah. I thought that article was updated based on time of posting...

Let's hope numbers are good. If not, i hate to say this..but Disney might be onto something here with D+ experiment of Mulan.

we will have to see more than the ow as @Shawn and other have said, its not over, it just began