YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

There's nothing wrong with inclusion and acknowledging people exist.

The white audience for the typical Disney movie is only 30%. If half those whites are conservative then it's down to 15%. 

Losing China hurts revenue numbers but realistically Hollywood keeps only 20% of those ticket sales.

Overall Disney is not losing 50%. So the question is do they pay the price to be on the right side of history.

I think that gamble pays off in the long run. The younger generations are way more pro-LBGT than the Boomer generation. And banning LBGT inclusion from schools won't change that at all. You just make supporting LBGT a noble act of rebellion for students.

Either way there are lots of reasons Lightyear could underperform. It's less kid-friendly than Toy Story and it's a kinda weird spin off. So lets not be so quick to consider the bigot boycott a smashing success.

• Like 1

Feel like too many people here are being far too eager to press the panic buttons when animation remains of the genres looking to make a comeback from the pandemic (Encanto and Sing 2 opened during the midst of Omicron fears and performed well enough under the circumstances). Pixar movies are known for having good legs, and aside from Minions (which as I mentioned in the tracking thread earlier feels more and more like an underperformer waiting to happen), is going to have pretty clear sailing for most of the summer since WOM will likely be good. All this needs to do is make more than Sing 2 (which it'll be pretty much locked to do if it lands in that $70-85M range from earlier) and the bar will be raised even further.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean, even if this does disappoint at the box office, everything that happens after that is still just conjecture. A lot can still change in the market between now and when Strange World and Elemental are supposed to be released. It's understandable how one might be inclined to assume the worst case scenario, but it probably isn't all entirely riding on how this movie performs. It's possible a straight to streaming release really does end up not being as financially smart a movie as sending a movie to theaters, even Netflix themselves are starting to test the waters giving the Sea Beast a limited run this summer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Lightyear said:

That's what I said earlier, though apparently people considered it trolling. But yeah, if this does poorly (which is already the case overseas so far), we're probably not getting another Disney animated film in theaters outside of like Frozen 3 or Zootopia 2 or whatever. If a Toy Story movie can't reach 70M (maybe even less), what hope is there for anything else?

Looks like your "talk" with him didn't do anything @Cap

• Like 2

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Feel like too many people here are being far too eager to press the panic buttons when animation remains of the genres looking to make a comeback from the pandemic (Encanto and Sing 2 opened during the midst of Omicron fears and performed well enough under the circumstances). Pixar movies are known for having good legs, and aside from Minions (which as I mentioned in the tracking thread earlier feels more and more like an underperformer waiting to happen), is going to have pretty clear sailing for most of the summer since WOM will likely be good. All this needs to do is make more than Sing 2 (which it'll be pretty much locked to do if it lands in that $70-85M range from earlier) and the bar will be raised even further.

Yep.

The last 2 animated movies released this year have made a half a billion dollars in the theater.  This one is going to make a half billion.  3 movies and $1b from theaters.  

Hey, I'm totally sure that studios are just devastated and going to stick everything on Disney+ or other streaming and watch the billions in theatrical revenue disappear.  Makes total sense.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Yep.

The last 2 animated movies released this year have made a half a billion dollars in the theater.  This one is going to make a half billion.  3 movies and $1b from theaters.  

Hey, I'm totally sure that studios are just devastated and going to stick everything on Disney+ or other streaming and watch the billions in theatrical revenue disappear.  Makes total sense.  

Here's the thing dude: I agree with you. I think it is very silly to move animated movies to streaming. But I don't work at Disney. I don't control how this stuff goes down. I'm only stating what think Disney will do. And frankly, this seems, to me, like something Disney will do, in my personal, subjective opinion that could be wrong. Especially since Lightyear's a super expensive beast and who knows if $500 million will even happen. So yell at them, not me.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Yep.

It's taken less for studios to make reactionary decisions lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Yep.

Do you honestly think that in the hypothetical scenario in which Lightyear underperforms (sub 60m/sub 200m/sub 500), Chapek wouldn’t use it as a justification for sending their 200m budgeted animations (whereas unlike The Bad Guys and Sonic 2, their budgets are low enough for the grosses to be satisfactory) to streaming and would settle for “We beat Sing 2, right…”, especially when it’s obvious he’s been wanting to do it for months now? I don’t think anyone is justifying or think this move is a good move at all, but it’s not unlikely to see Chapek try to pull it off.

That said, theatrical animation still has an obvious pulse as I’m confident Minions 2 will explode and I think if Lightyear does underperform it’s because the movie looks unappealing to the GA not necessarily families not coming back but maybe I could see budgets being trimmed within the next few years to compensate. I also don’t think necessarily it’s the end for Disney or Pixar animations theatrically and I also agree that doing straight to plus is a lose lose for all parties (studios, creatives, theaters, etc) and a bad move but I can see a Luca/Soul/TR situation happen more frequently than not in the scenario because of how reactionary Hollywood studios can be and how much Chapek wants to boost Disney Plus.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Do you honestly think that in the hypothetical scenario in which Lightyear underperforms (sub 60m/sub 200m/sub 500), Chapek wouldn’t use it as a justification for sending their 200m budgeted animations (whereas unlike The Bad Guys and Sonic 2, their budgets are low enough for the grosses to be satisfactory) to streaming and would settle for “We beat Sing 2, right…”, especially when it’s obvious he’s been wanting to do it for months now? I don’t think anyone is justifying or think this move is a good move at all, but it’s not unlikely to see Chapek try to pull it off.

That said, theatrical animation still has an obvious pulse as I’m confident Minions 2 will explode and I think if Lightyear does underperform it’s because the movie looks unappealing to the GA not necessarily families not coming back but maybe I could see budgets being trimmed within the next few years to compensate. I also don’t think necessarily it’s the end for Disney or Pixar animations theatrically and I also agree that doing straight to plus is a lose lose for all parties (studios, creatives, theaters, etc) and a bad move but I can see a Luca/Soul/TR situation happen more frequently than not in the scenario because of how reactionary Hollywood studios can be and how much Chapek wants to boost Disney Plus.

Why? The last Despicable Me posted a noticeable drop from the previous movies in the series except the first (and probably sold less tickets than that with inflation factored in) five years ago and this seems to be arriving with even less fanfare. 

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Why? The last Despicable Me posted a noticeable drop from the previous movies in the series except the first (and probably sold less tickets than that with inflation factored in) five years ago and this seems to be arriving with even less fanfare. 

Far easier sell to the GA, less reliant on presales determining a good OW, skews probably much more younger and more female than Lightyear ergo more accessible and better for legs, the trailer plays well with audiences when I see it in movies, the forth of July weekend is very lucrative to Illuminations in the past, Illumination uses the fort that should be used for storytelling in its marketing and if Lightyear underperforms it’s more of a benefit to it. I’d be more surprised if it did under 200m than Lightyear at this point which judging from presales seems more and more like an underperformer.

Edited by YourMother

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

For legs, it's b/c kid groups, swim teams, and summer camps have selected this movie for summer viewing...and that's a lot of "required group buys" for a lot of summer week days...

For whatever reason, Lightyear is not getting much of that business...it is all streaming to Minions, probably for all the reasons listed (skews younger, skews more female, funny vs action, etc, etc)...

• Like 1

I'm honestly tired of these "they should respect everyone's beliefs and opinions" and then the opinion is that LGBT people should not exist and/or should not have same rights as everyone else. Makes me wish Thanos was real

Edit: Btw, I'm really excited to watch this movie now. Based on the reviews I don't think it is going to be in my TOP Pixar movies but the trailers looked fantastic. 

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 7

The movie is being review bombed on RT, to surprise of no one i think, since on social media this is being discussed for several days.

Verified audience reviews at 100% with 4.8/5 average 

Unverified is at 40% with 2.3/5 average tho

As an LGBTQIA+ person this makes me very angry, it's not a movie about a gay kiss, i'm 100% sure is just a sideline plot, and despite being such a small part of the history, we still have to deal with people questioning it as we don't have the right to see us represented for 30 seconds in a 110 minutes movie without being attacked and accused of destroy childrens lives.

I mean, this happens everytime a movie do the mininum for representation, it's expected, i just gets angrier every time it happens.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I saw Lightyear last night at an early screening and wom seems to be good. The adults liked it more than they were expecting, the kiddos liked it as much as they were expecting and some of the middle school aged kids were a little disappointed. It's definitely one of Pixar's weaker films and doesn't feel like it would be an entire generation's Star Wars like it was for Andy. But Zurg let me just say is an EXCELLENT villain. His Origins are extremely mysterious and his motivations are a good mold for Buzz Lightyear and their conflict reflect the themes the writers were going for well. I also saw this in IMAX and there were some good use of aspect ratio changes to make the space scenes feel bigger and more expansive.

• Like 1