Eric Duncan

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

18 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I assumed the hybrid PA thing would be bad for legs, but with Raya going to 6x+ I wonder how much Cruella needs to debut for a shot at 100M.

Probably close to 30M 3-day imo. Raya had pretty much 2.5 months to itself, Cruella doesn't have that luxury. Plus Raya opened at a time where restrictions were starting to lift, so its opening was likely muted. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Probably close to 30M 3-day imo. Raya had pretty much 2.5 months to itself, Cruella doesn't have that luxury. Plus Raya opened at a time where restrictions were starting to lift, so its opening was likely muted. 

Raya also got a boost from Regal and Cinemark midrun. No summer weekdays though, could be relevant.

4.8m for AQP2 is 0.2m lower than what I hoped for but it is not low enough to distort my hope for 50m 3 days. Exhibition needs a record breaker to boost confidence and give them some leverage against studio and streamer. 30m 3 days projected by Variety is not enough and it shouldn't been regarded as "Not a big deal if AQP2 debut to 30m".

GvK pandemic record has to go down now. Theaters can't afford to wait until F9 or BW in July for that.  

• Like 1

I thought AQP2 is at least as big if not bigger than Godzilla yet the latter did twice as much on opening day a few weeks ago. Anyone else finding this  number kinda bad for the sequel to the horror surprise "mega" hit?

EDIT:

Oh, those are previews only. Forget what i said. One can tell it has been a while, still a little rusty when it comes to box office. ;)

Edited by Elessar
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh. But why would AQP2 vs Cruella not be as good an indicator as F9 vs BW (on two different weekends)? 

Both cinema only vs a steaming release. 

I guess I'm suggesting that BW and F9 will have better comps than AQP2 and Cruella.

Low Tier MCU is 70 ow and 200 dom.

Fast and Furious movies should pull in at least 85 ow and 200 dom.

And if they flop mid summer when most people are vaccinated it would be a canary dying in the coal mine moment.

Cruella opening to 30 m doesn't tell us much though a AQP2 50 m ow would be a good sign that box office is returning to health.

The openers are selling like crazy tonight around here, to the point where showtimes for other movies (Spiral, Wrath of Man, etc.) are being cancelled to make way for more of both movies. Drops will probably be rough despite being a 4-day holiday due to the return of movies that people actually want to see taking up most of the multiplex space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Range being that wide isn't a huge surprise. we're definitely not completely back to normal/we don't know what the new normal will be just yet. Just hoping for a 50m 4 day which seems like a solid bet right now. Could still fall short but the chances of that are relatively low.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

4.8m for AQP2 is 0.2m lower than what I hoped for but it is not low enough to distort my hope for 50m 3 days. Exhibition needs a record breaker to boost confidence and give them some leverage against studio and streamer. 30m 3 days projected by Variety is not enough and it shouldn't been regarded as "Not a big deal if AQP2 debut to 30m".

GvK pandemic record has to go down now. Theaters can't afford to wait until F9 or BW in July for that.  

Exhibition will likely never regain any meaningful leverage. Within one year they went from “banning all movies” to showing day & date and what is likely a permanently reduced theatrical window. 

6 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Yeah lol, should have stayed OUT

@Jamiem fighting the good fight :hahaha:

It could still get there in the 3 day and will easily go over $50m for the 4 day, which will bigger than GvKs 5 day so that's a huge win for domestic theatrical which had slowed down again since GvK.

Also hoping that Cruella can leg it out to $30m 4 day but much less confident in that, hopefully both these films set up a good summer run domestically. 

Edited by Jamiem

It won’t go sub 200, it’s probably looking at same 205-215 finish that it has been since Monday.  I doubt reception drops as hard DOM or OS-C.   

Wonder if we could get a domestic @Rthtr sighting for the first time in forever. May need to prepare some appropriate gifs as offering.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

It won’t go sub 200, it’s probably looking at same 205-215 finish that it has been since Monday.  I doubt reception drops as hard DOM or OS-C.   

Wonder if we could get a domestic @Rthtr sighting for the first time in forever. May need to prepare some appropriate gifs as offering.

I knew I've saved these shirtless Richard Jewell pics for a reason!