Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Boss Baby & Purge 1.3M Previews

At this rate, F9 will likely finish at 160m range, which isn't really far off from China's total. Considering they only got <25% share of box office over there, domestic will be still a biggest contributor.  Shouldn't Vin diesel make a video thanking American like how he did to Chinese?

Just now, filmlover said:

Isn't there an animated Jurassic World show on Netflix?

That's...what I just mentioned? And again, it still seems weird they didn't try and make a live-action show on Peacock. Coulda did like a prequel or something about the creation of Jurassic World or showcase some raptor tamers doing their thing. Wouldn't have been amazing, but it would certainly make people, especially the fans, curious in checking out the service and get a couple headlines from the entertainment press.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's pretty clear that Comcast doesn't view Peacock as a big deal. There's no big shows, no movies announced for it and their franchise continuations are all Netflix animated stuff.

A Purge TV show exploring the non Murder-Death-Kill side of the Purge would be a low budget fun thing to put on there tbh. Something like a team planning a heist on Purge day knowing that they only have a 12 hour window, or immigrants waiting for the Purge time to get into the US knowing they can't be prosecuted, or even an episode which is just a legal drama where a lawyer has to fight for a client who was stabbed during the purge but like became paralyzed after the purge was over due to the stab wound. There's so many places to explore in the purge day stuff and all we get in the movies is people killing one another.

Universal is ending it's pay 1 deal with HBO this year and won't be renewing it, so I guess they think Peacock is big enough to do that though? Really weird I guess. No clue what Universal and Comcast are trying to do with Peacock.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's pretty clear that Comcast doesn't view Peacock as a big deal. There's no big shows, no movies announced for it and their franchise continuations are all Netflix animated stuff.

A Purge TV show exploring the non Murder-Death-Kill side of the Purge would be a low budget fun thing to put on there tbh. Something like a team planning a heist on Purge day knowing that they only have a 12 hour window, or immigrants waiting for the Purge time to get into the US knowing they can't be prosecuted, or even an episode which is just a legal drama where a lawyer has to fight for a client who was stabbed during the purge but like became paralyzed after the purge was over due to the stab wound. There's so many places to explore in the purge day stuff and all we get in the movies is people killing one another.

Well there was actually a Purge TV show on USA Network and I believe season 2 takes place in the aftermath of a Purge night. Of course nobody watched it, so...

Just now, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Well there was actually a Purge TV show on USA Network and I believe season 2 takes place in the aftermath of a Purge night. Of course nobody watched it, so...

I think there was, but it was more murder and killing stuff itself. There's a lot of potential with the purge but so many movies and a tv show have all stuck in a small niche.

Yeah, I fully expect Peacock to be the official home for Universal movies once the HBO output deal expires. Sony also made that big deal with Netflix so it's clear that the major studios are just getting out of the pay TV window business in general, especially when streaming seems like a better deal these days than broadcasting a movie 200+ times over the course of an 18 month licensing period.

Honestly when Peacock was first announced I felt a good launch title would have been a Tyrese-led Fast and Furious show. You got a big headliner with the brand and a recognizable name, you can put Roman into some fun little heist adventures, sprinkle in a few more cast members from the movies into there, and Universal would have had Tyrese shut up about Dwayne getting his own movie and not have him act like a doof on Instagram (well...okay he would still act like a doof, but at least he wouldn't tarnish the movies anymore). A win-win for everybody!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Honestly when Peacock was first announced I felt a good launch title would have been a Tyrese-led Fast and Furious show. You got a big headliner with the brand and a recognizable name, you can put Roman into some fun little heist adventures, sprinkle in a few more cast members from the movies into there, and Universal would have had Tyrese shut up about Dwayne getting his own movie and not have him act like a doof on Instagram (well...okay he would still act like a doof, but at least he wouldn't tarnish the movies anymore). A win-win for everybody!

fxl6.gif

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Tyrese shut up about Dwayne getting his own movie and not have him act like a doof on Instagram (well...okay he would still act like a doof, but at least he wouldn't tarnish the movies anymore)

Lol when did this happen. Rock is star, ofc he can/gets own movie. In fact, Rock is a catalyst that make these FF films bigger. In fact H&S2 as chance beating F10 as well of say if Rock stay absent.

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Lol when did this happen. Rock is star, ofc he can/gets own movie. In fact, Rock is a catalyst that make these FF films bigger. In fact H&S2 as chance beating F10 as well of say if Rock stay absent.

There are whole articles about the beef between Tyrese and The Rock. It is absurdly funny

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2477798/a-history-of-the-beef-between-fast-and-furious-dwayne-johnson-and-tyrese-gibson

1 hour ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

I own the premium version of Peacock because my parents still have Xfinity cable and even I can't bring myself to watch the service 98% of the time. Half of it is stuff I can already get on other streaming services, while their original stuff is just generic comedies that would fit snugly into the NBC primetime schedule. Not surprised Peacock did little to impact Boss Baby's box office.

I agree - I've only watched sports so far...I won't be keeping it after the Olympics b/c tennis will be over for months (I did enjoy French Open and Olympic trials coverage)...

39 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

There are whole articles about the beef between Tyrese and The Rock. It is absurdly funny

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2477798/a-history-of-the-beef-between-fast-and-furious-dwayne-johnson-and-tyrese-gibson

Funniest part is all Rock has to do is make one call and Kevin Hart is taking that slot.

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

for what its worth even in a pre covid enviroment, i always expected fast 9 to be closer to habbs and shaw than fast 8  in terms of dom total

Same. Fast 8 dropped back down to earth for the franchise after hitting a major high with 7. I was expecting it to either barely crack $200 million or come a little short. Still a good total, just that the franchise has kind of been squeezed dry. The numbers it’s putting up right now seem pretty great for the recovering market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I fully expect Peacock to be the official home for Universal movies once the HBO output deal expires. Sony also made that big deal with Netflix so it's clear that the major studios are just getting out of the pay TV window business in general, especially when streaming seems like a better deal these days than broadcasting a movie 200+ times over the course of an 18 month licensing period.

Variety posted a tweet yesterday saying Uni movies go to Peacock starting in 2022. HBO will only have WB titles for Pay 1 starting in 2023 once Summit moves to Starz

Edited by WrathOfHan