Eric Prime

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

Each Warner movie released in the last months dropped more than 50% on the second weekend.

Tom&Jerry-53%

Godzilla vs Kong-56%

The Little Things-56%

Conjuring 3-57%

Judas an The Black Messiah-57%

On the Heigths-63%

WW84-67%

SJ2-¿68%?

Those Who Whis Me Dead-69%

Mortal Kombat-73%

And TSS will drop more than 60% even with amazing WoM...

The Hybrid release is a killer.

Edited by efialtes76

6 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Obviously making the movies available online for no extra cost beyong an HBO max subscription is gonna affect the box office. For WB it's probably been worth it though, since HBO Max has been one of the most downloaded apps in the US in 2021.

And the Piracy with good quality copies on the net since OD.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Obviously making the movies available online for no extra cost beyong an HBO max subscription is gonna affect the box office. For WB it's probably been worth it though, since HBO Max has been one of the most downloaded apps in the US in 2021.

Moviepass was popular download too

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Moviepass was popular download too

I don't think it's really comparable, moviepass was obviously non-sustainable, while streaming is a great business to get a piece of, if WB needs to kamikaze their entire film lineup to get a place at the table with Disney and Netflix, it might be worth it for them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I don't think it's really comparable, moviepass was obviously non-sustainable, while streaming is a great business to get a piece of, if WB needs to kamikaze their entire film lineup to get a place at the table with Disney and Netflix, it might be worth it for them.

streaming kills home video and theatrical business , Netflix is burning money

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

People saying Old is fine because it cost 18M need to shut up. That is not the point. Of course it will turn a profit. The point is that in a healthy market Old would be easily opening above 20M. If the new normal can't sustain a movie like Old opening with 20M, then the market is unsustainable.

And it isn't just Old, with movies tanking 60% left and right on their 2nd weekends against no competition, streaming option (BW, SJ2) or not (ER2, F9). 

People simply don't wanna go back to theaters. That is the major obstacle right now. Streaming was already turning theaters into a place to see mostly events only, and now not even that.

Didn't you just say you were finished talking for this week?

• Thanks 1

Knowing a movie is available to purchase/rent online takes away that special feeling of going to the cinema to see something new. I felt more urgency to go when there was a 4 month window between a theatrical and Blueray release.

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

People saying Old is fine because it cost 18M need to shut up. That is not the point. Of course it will turn a profit. The point is that in a healthy market Old would be easily opening above 20M. If the new normal can't sustain a movie like Old opening with 20M, then the market is unsustainable.

And it isn't just Old, with movies tanking 60% left and right on their 2nd weekends against no competition, streaming option (BW, SJ2) or not (ER2, F9). 

People simply don't wanna go back to theaters. That is the major obstacle right now. Streaming was already turning theaters into a place to see mostly events only, and now not even that.

If I made  an inaccurate statement like “No openings over 10m until September”, spewing nonsense like this wouldn’t be my follow up 

• Haha 1

I think Disney would rather make Shang Chi and Eternals a hybrid releases than push bach their entire schedule. 

But Sony might push back Spider-man anyway.

It all depends how bad Delta gets. Most governors and leaders are trying to avoid another lockdown at all cost. Much of the public wants to pretend the pandemic is behind them. I went to a restaurant today and there were no masks or social distancing. But it might get to a point where hospitals are beyond capacity and people shut in again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

People saying Old is fine because it cost 18M need to shut up. That is not the point. Of course it will turn a profit.

The point is we’re not in a “healthy market” CJohn. 

It’s a bit rude to tell people to shut up for speaking common sense. A film that cost $18m opened to $15m. Not many films can achieve that. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just think, LUCA would've been in the top 5 if it came out a month ago...

I’m still floored Disney didn’t bother with a theatrical release for this. Did they really believe it wouldn't find a paying non-streaming audience?

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just think, LUCA would've been in the top 5 if it came out a month ago...

This has...eerily similar vibes to this vid and I'm kind of afraid here

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

This shtick is getting Old...

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Don't think Old is gonna turn a profit once you take marketing into effect, Super Bowl adds aren't cheap.

18m budget means it needs to do at least 45 even with Super Bowl marketing. You don’t think it’s hitting at least 45m WW? Forever Purge is already at 52, Quiet Place 286 and Conjuring 3 at 191

Of course COVID complicates matters but M. Night travels well. Glass did 135 internationally (246 WW), Split made 140 for 278 total, Visit’s 33m foreign brought total up to 98m. 

• Like 1