Eric Duncan

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

https://qz.com/2011315/space-jam-a-new-legacy-is-a-massive-merchandising-opportunity/

"For the new release, Warner Bros. has a dizzying array of partners and products lined up. Nike alone will sell Space Jam jerseys, tanks, hoodies, jackets, socks, backpacks, and of course sneakers. (The same shoes James wears on screen will be available for sale.)

Converse and Crocs will sell Space Jam footwear, too, while a non-exhaustive list of companies Warner Bros. has teamed up with to sell different articles of Space Jam clothing regionally or globally include:

Gap
H&M
Cotton On
Primark
Fanatics
Torrid
Snipes
Alexandre Herchcovitch
Vilebrequin
Tommy Hilfiger
Forever 21
Members Only
Rue21
Pac Sun
A Bathing Ape
Madhappy
Bloomingdale’s
Diamond Supply
MeUndies
Clothing is just one facet of the opportunity. Among the items mentioned in the press release about its merchandising around Space Jam: A New Legacy are:

Toys
Stationery
Books
Mugs
Phone accessories
Drink bottles
Keychains
Bracelets
Totes
Backpacks
Lunch bags
Watches
Small leather goods
Basketballs
Food products
A Space Jam mac & cheese box with Bugs Bunny and LeBron James on front beside a Space Jam onesieWARNER BROS.
Kraft’s contribution to the Space Jam merch.
Producing all these items are a large number of brand partners. Here are a few noted by Warner Bros.:

General Mills
Kraft Heinz
Hasbro
Funko
Moose Toys
Spalding
Fossil
New Era
Hallmark
Alex and Ani
Mobyfox
GameStop
Mattel
Upper Deck
There will also be many region-specific items for Latin America, Australia and New Zealand, Asia, and Europe."

Is anything here more extensive than any other kids film or PG13 blockbuster? There's not anything thats exactly out of the ordianary in that list of items. Unless im missing something i just dont see how any of this isnt normal.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Is anything here more extensive than any other kids film or PG13 blockbuster? There's not anything thats exactly out of the ordianary in that list of items. Unless im missing something i just dont see how any of this isnt normal.

Candy Crush rebranded to Space Jam a few weeks ago and hasn't gone back yet. There's a Space Jam 2 version of Monopoly which sold pretty well in my Target for some reason, there's Space Jam 2 NFTs being given away by crypto exchanges, Waze did a Bugs Bunny navigation thing for this, and radio shows were shilling it a lot the week of release as well.

They definitely went all out with the tie-ins.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Candy Crush rebranded to Space Jam a few weeks ago and hasn't gone back yet. There's a Space Jam 2 version of Monopoly which sold pretty well in my Target for some reason, there's Space Jam 2 NFTs being given away by crypto exchanges, Waze did a Bugs Bunny navigation thing for this, and radio shows were shilling it a lot the week of release as well.

They definitely went all out with the tie-ins.

Ok so like all of this is news to me. The Waze thing sounds annoying.

1 hour ago, jimisawesome said:

Its not a murderous row but we have an MCU movie and a Fast movie that both came up 20-30% short their opening weekend of realistic precovid expectations.  AQP2 did about 20-30% of pre covid tracking.  Snake Eyes will open to a quarter of what GI Joe 2 did and this is the first comic book movie staring an Asian lead in a major IP.  The big movies have had no legs.

At what point can we even start asking the question if people are still willing to see movies in theaters?

It’s fair to say there are a proportion of potential audiences still reluctant due to the pandemic. Which is perfectly understandable. 

As for BW’s and SJ2’s drops - I mean come on people. Are we seriously still debating the impact of home watching with these?  You can bet the industry thinks so. Beginning of the end for day and date! 

Edited by wildphantom

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

It’s fair to say there are a proportion of potential audiences still reluctant due to the pandemic. Which is perfectly understandable. 

As for BW’s and SJ2’s drops - I mean come on people. Are we seriously still debating the impact of home watching with these?  You can bet the industry thinks so. Beginning of the end for day and date! 

Sure, pandemic is getting worse again but obviously day and date is ending...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Yeah, call me when something that should have been big flops  

Reveal hidden contents

Unless something drastically changes the meltdowns in that thread are gonna make this weekend look tame. I think ITH weekend is probably the biggest meltdown thread we've had this year, but TSS flopping hard would probably beat that. 

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

Unless something drastically changes the meltdowns in that thread are gonna make this weekend look tame. I think ITH weekend is probably the biggest meltdown thread we've had this year, but TSS flopping hard would probably beat that. 

What do you think the meltdown line is? Leaving GvK as WB’s record opener? Under Space Jam?

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimisawesome said:

Its not a murderous row but we have an MCU movie and a Fast movie that both came up 20-30% short their opening weekend of realistic precovid expectations.  AQP2 did about 20-30% of pre covid tracking.  Snake Eyes will open to a quarter of what GI Joe 2 did and this is the first comic book movie staring an Asian lead in a major IP.  The big movies have had no legs.

At what point can we even start asking the question if people are still willing to see movies in theaters?

After we start acknowledging that all of these movies have their own baggage.

F9 - The series had been consistently losing steam and audiences didn’t particularly enjoy the last one. It was always going to drop after F8 *already* opened 40% lower than F7.

Black Widow - Prequel focused on a character audiences already saw die that’s also available on a streaming platform. Middling audience scores.

Snake Eyes - Third GI Joe movie after two GI Joe movies audiences didn’t like (plus the reviews and audience scores are terrible)

Space Jam 2 - Bad nostalgia-driven sequel that’s also available on a streaming platform.

Newsflash: Jungle Cruise and The Suicide Squad are also going to struggle and it has little to do with Covid. One’s based on a theme park ride and most of those movies flop, and the other is a sequel to a movie audiences didn’t care for with the additional canary in the coal mine that is Birds of Prey’s performance.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

F9 - The series had been consistently losing steam and audiences didn’t particularly enjoy the last one. It was always going to drop after F8 *already* opened 40% lower than F7.

Black Widow - Prequel focused on a character audiences already saw die that’s also available on a streaming platform. Middling audience scores.

Snake Eyes - Third GI Joe movie after two GI Joe movies audiences didn’t like (plus the reviews and audience scores are terrible)

Space Jam 2 - Bad nostalgia-driven sequel that’s also available on a streaming platform.

Newsflash: Jungle Cruise and The Suicide Squad are also going to struggle and it has little to do with Covid. One’s based on a theme park ride and most of those movies flop, and the other is a sequel to a movie audiences didn’t care for with the additional canary in the coal mine that is Birds of Prey’s performance.

For these reasons, I think that films that have hybrid release would still have the same terrible holds without streaming, only numbers would be bigger. As someone posted in another post, BW 100M OW, 37M second weekend, 17M third weekend for example. I don't think that normalcy would have turned these middling movies into events either. 

Edited by Valonqar

Tragic box office weekend. I won't post again this weekend as my opinion is already in this thread and has been known for a while.

I will let more positive people talk instead. I have nothing to add that hasn't been said in this thread already.

21 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

What do you think the meltdown line is? Leaving GvK as WB’s record opener? Under Space Jam?

I think if it got close to GvK, that wouldn't be a meltdown (assuming you mean the 5-day). I think the meltdown line is probably somewhere around BOP. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

The real problem is until now into summer, there isn't a surprise hit or overperformer. You just highlight the faults of each films, without realising that all these flaws have been with the films that debut in pre-pandemic world also, this isn't something new that we only see in this summer.   

• Like 1

I’m just going to throw my two cents in, but I don’t really think delta is having a HUGE impact on box office right now, I think it’s more product. Widow is dropping HARD in my local markets, and delta is pretty much a non-factor here. Same with Space Jam. Old is doing decently, but Snake Eyes is flopping hard.

maybe delta is having an effect, but the fact that box office sucks even in areas where it’s very minimal especially in the eyes of the public, I think we can safely say there are other factors involved too

35 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

I thought Suicide Squad was a complete reboot and they were dropping the first one?

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I’m just going to throw my two cents in, but I don’t really think delta is having a HUGE impact on box office right now, I think it’s more product. Widow is dropping HARD in my local markets, and delta is pretty much a non-factor here. Same with Space Jam. Old is doing decently, but Snake Eyes is flopping hard.

maybe delta is having an effect, but the fact that box office sucks even in areas where it’s very minimal especially in the eyes of the public, I think we can safely say there are other factors involved too

Day and Date, and audiences simply not returning to the cinema is the problem. Things will probably get better in the later half of the year.