The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Jungle Cruise will get a sequel, right? Feels pretty easy for Disney to say that it would have done 175 without D+/COVID and 175/500 would have certainly justified a sequel in the old days.

I think they will but with a way smaller budget.

I still can't see how this movie cost 200M. If they manage to make a sequel costing $ 120-130M i think it's worthy, the movie is doing really fine considering the situation and people loved it.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Jungle Cruise will get a sequel, right? Feels pretty easy for Disney to say that it would have done 175 without D+/COVID and 175/500 would have certainly justified a sequel in the old days.

Jungle Cruise isn’t performing internationally at the same level as domestic though. 

Dwayne mentioned he was having talks with Disney and his production company for a sequel a couple weeks back, though obviously this stuff is super early. The only real hurdles here are that reception generally seems to be "it's fine I guess", which is never a good sign for a startup franchise, and also that Dwayne keeps attaching himself to project after project after project that it could get pushed to the backburner. Dude is a Lin-Manuel Miranda/Greg Berlanti level of a workaholic and it's genuinely insane how he never stops.

• Like 2

This is Disney — it’ll get 3 sequels and 2 D+ spinoff series, one a prequel for Jesse Plemons’ character, the other about a baboon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Depends. Cruella is getting one even though it will finish with a smaller theatrical gross than Jungle Cruise will but it also cost about half of what the latter did (and has already made a profit between international and PA) so we'll see.

10 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I can't help but feel like The Suicide Squad would have been far better of as an HBO Max original. Virus or no virus, it was never going to even come close to profitability in theaters. The stench of the first movie is still strong. Birds of Prey was just a preview in hindsight.

If it was a Max original, at least WB wouldn't have to deal with all the headlines about how poorly the movie is doing in theaters and how it has the biggest second weekend drop in the entire franchise. It would have found an audience there at least.

in a normal scenario before the pandemic, "TSS" would have been a commercial success, there is no reason to assume otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Fast 9 looks like it will make over 700m. The success story of the year 

I hope it does! It would be great to have a 700M pandemic grosser. I know that big chunk comes from China, F's most loyal market, but credit where it's due. It's a great success. :bravo:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poncho said:

in a normal scenario before the pandemic, "TSS" would have been a commercial success, there is no reason to assume otherwise.

Well, the subpar box office combined with the subpar streaming numbers would seem to indicate that's not a total sure thing.  For the GA, it's not been evenly received by age or gender outside of the uber-fan base.  Even Deadline mentioned that OW, and it's uneven reception is not improving as more non-uber-fans saw this...

It would have better numbers...would it have gotten to "commercial success" with its budget?  There's a lot more doubt here...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Joker made a billion just before the pandemic. I don't think there's a problem with the brand, it's just that WB isn't making the movies fans want to see.

DC doesn't have a strong fan base to support a movie box office during a pandemic, Marvel fans will watch their movies in any possible setting.
The last three DC films were released in a pandemic setting, and it's too surreal to assume that "TSS' and "WW84" wouldn't be big box office hits in a non-pandemic setting.

And even Marvel with a large fan base couldn't avoid the failure of "BW". 

• Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, poncho said:

audience reception, streaming numbers and box office numbers say otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, poncho said:

No numbers so far suggest that and neither does audience reception.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Free Eric said:

Dwayne mentioned he was having talks with Disney and his production company for a sequel a couple weeks back, though obviously this stuff is super early. The only real hurdles here are that reception generally seems to be "it's fine I guess", which is never a good sign for a startup franchise, and also that Dwayne keeps attaching himself to project after project after project that it could get pushed to the backburner. Dude is a Lin-Manuel Miranda/Greg Berlanti level of a workaholic and it's genuinely insane how he never stops.

and he has time to shower thrice daily!

• Thanks 2