Eric Prime

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

Here in 2021 we call the coasters. Bluray is the bottom end now 👀

Blu-Ray was a revolution for me but I think I’m done with physical movies. I’m skipping out on 4K UHD disc entirely. It’s too expensive, I can’t tell the difference between Disney Plus 4K and 4K disc, and honestly I truly can’t be bothered to stand up start swapping discs in and out.

11 minutes ago, AJG said:

Blu-Ray was a revolution for me but I think I’m done with physical movies. I’m skipping out on 4K UHD disc entirely. It’s too expensive, I can’t tell the difference between Disney Plus 4K and 4K disc, and honestly I truly can’t be bothered to stand up start swapping discs in and out.

A good 4K disc blows away any 4K streaming. But not every 4K release is like that, in fact a lot of them don't so I see why some arent interested. I've found older films like Blade Runner have gotten the biggest bump in 4K. 

Apple TV+ has the best 4K streaming I haven seen though, its damn good.

I think my 4K disc collection is around 100 now, and I would say about 25 of them are ones I cant imagine not watching in this format again. But that leaves 75 that I felt didnt make a significant difference lol. 

But its definitely diminishing returns for most people.

EDIT: I'm actually up to 134 4K discs now. 

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Lmao Deadline even has the audacity to point out that their Saturday projection would be -7% vs pure Friday 🤡

I think there is more of a rush factor for really bug films, even more than pre-covid.  I could be wrong of course, but a lot of films are really front loaded now.

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

A good 4K disc blows away any 4K streaming. But not every 4K release is like that, in fact a lot of them don't so I see why some arent interested. I've found older films like Blade Runner have gotten the biggest bump in 4K. 

Apple TV+ has the best 4K streaming I haven seen though, its damn good.

I think my 4K disc collection is around 100 now, and I would say about 25 of them are ones I cant imagine not watching in this format again. But that leaves 75 that I felt didnt make a significant difference lol. 

But its definitely diminishing returns for most people.

EDIT: I'm actually up to 134 4K discs now. 

yeah, 4K UHD is certainly better than 4K on Apple. I mean, the latter is very very good, but can’t compete with the compression and bitrate on disc. Enough for most people, but I need the absolute best out there for my favourite movies - and UHD is getting bucket loads of classic catalogue stuff now. 

That said, there are still brand new movies unforgivably not getting 4K disc releases when they are in 4K on Apple. Drives me insane as I can’t justify picking up the regular Blu-ray.  

Apple are definitely the leader of 4K streaming though. I just wish they’d let you curate your collection like Plex does. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think there is more of a rush factor for really bug films, even more than pre-covid.  I could be wrong of course, but a lot of films are really front loaded now.

Don’t think we see this for theatrical exclusives, it’s just that a majority of blockbusters have been hybrid so that general vibe develops. Anyway the way to be pessimistic about Sat is forecasting a 7% increase, not a 7% decrease.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MikeQ said:

It feels good to have the box office back, and to have an exciting weekend with an MCU theatrical exclusive - silly thread meltdowns and all. 😂

Cracking out and updating one of my box office charts for Shang-Chi. As you can see below, it's had a healthy share of opening day from previews, hitting under 30%. I'm hopeful for a weekend that isn't frontloaded and benefits nicely  from Labour Day.

Preview Grosses for Some Comic Book Films and the Share of Opening Day

Title / Preview Gross / Share of Opening Day

1. Avengers: Endgame (2019) — 60.0 million (38.1%)
  2. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) — 39.0 million (36.7%)
  3. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) — 30.6 million (40.4%)
  4. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) — 27.7 million (34.0%)
  5. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) — 27.6 million (32.7%)
  6. Black Panther (2018) — 25.2 million (33.2%)
  7. Captain America: Civil War (2016) — 25 million (33.1%)
  8. Captain Marvel (2019) — 20.7 million (33.5%)
  9. Suicide Squad (2016) — 20.5 million (31.6%)
  10. Marvel's The Avengers (2012) — 18.7 million (23.1%)
  11. Deadpool 2 (2018) — 18.6 million (35.1%)
  12. The Dark Knight (2008) — 18.5 million (27.5%)
  13. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) — 17 million (30.2%)
  14. Iron Man 3 (2013) — 15.6 million (22.7%)
  15. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) — 15.4 million (30.5%)
  16. Thor: Ragnarok (2017) — 14.5 million (31.0%)
  17. Black Widow — 13.2 million (33.4%)
  18. Deadpool (2016) — 12.7 million (26.8%)
  19. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) — 11.5 million (34.1%)
  20. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) — 11.2 million (29.6%)
  21. Wonder Woman (2017) — 11.0 million (28.3%)
  22. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) — 10.2 million (27.6%)
  23. Venom (2018) — 10.0 million (30.8%)
  24. Doctor Strange (2016) — 9.4 million (28.8%)
  25. Aquaman (2018) — 9.0 million (32.1%)
  26. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) — 8.8 million (29.7%)
  27. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) — 8.7 million (24.7%)

Peace,

Mike

Mike I haven't been active here much in the last 18 months but seeing your name and your post is like an old familiar shirt you find in the back of your closet.  It fits nicely, brings back great memories and makes you feel nostalgic.  Damn good to see you.  :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Is DEH more of a US thing? I’m in the UK and consider myself fairly up to date on most forms of entertainment, but I’ve genuinely never heard of DEH or the guy who stars in it until pretty much a few months ago. 

I'm in Canada and I too have never heard of it.  The trailer was good though.

• Like 1