Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yeah i saw that. LOL.

No1. China doesn't need a Hollywood film.

No.2. Even IF China needs a Hollywood film; it will not be Shang Chi.. it will be Venom for all we know.

You are assuming SC will do well there and reception will be great, for all we know - G.A reception might be average (similar to HK) or it may be another case of Monster Hunter - you know what happened right?

You want (need) Shang Chi to open there.. they don't need Shang Chi even if they need a high profile Hollywood film. Lol.

if you understood my comment then why you keep writing this shit.... and accuse me of things i have never said ? i have never said anything about reception for all i know if it releases there people may hate it...again either you are not paying attention or you are trolling.The " should be enough for you to understand that the ''need'' that i wrote wasnt serious.Anyways we are getting off the topic here so suit yourself as you like

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

I'll be happy when American companies stop pandering to the CCP (Chinese Communist Party).

Make Dr. Strange's mentor a white lady because you don't want to seem sympathetic towards Tibet? Or silencing all celebrity defense of Hong Kong or Taiwan? What a bunch of cowardly, sell-out bullshit.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'll be happy when American companies stop pandering to the CCP (Chinese Communist Party).

Make Dr. Strange's mentor a white lady because you don't want to seem sympathetic towards Tibet? Or silencing all celebrity defense of Hong Kong or Taiwan? What a bunch of cowardly, sell-out bullshit.

Hehe. You think Disney didn't do background check on Tony Leung's political stance before hiring him?

Tony and his wife Carina Lau are known CCP supporters, his wife higher profile supporter due to activeness on Weibo - can always see her wishing the state bday or anniversary of CCP etc. Simu Lui also smartly opened a weibo acct in May and say he is practicing Mandarin and hopes to go to China soon.

I am actually quite surprised the boycotters didn't pick up on these like Mulan. Haha.

Ya but i don't want to make this post political just some food for thought.

8 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

according to this reddit post China's Summer box office was the lowest it has been in 8 years

Yup cause 30% of Cinemas was closed in the weeks of August due to COVID, olympics also distracted some audiences as well as floods in some parts of China. High profile films all moved away. I.e. Battle of Lake Changjin which was estimated to earn at least USD400m moved from 12th Aug to 30th Sep.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Hehe. You think Disney didn't do background check on Tony Leung's political stance before hiring him?

Tony and his wife Carina Lau are known CCP supporters, his wife higher profile supporter due to activeness on Weibo - can always see her wishing the state bday or anniversary of CCP etc. Simu Lui also smartly opened a weibo acct in May and say he is practicing Mandarin and hopes to go to China soon.

I am actually quite surprised the boycotters didn't pick up on these like Mulan. Haha.

Yup cause 30% of Cinemas was closed in the weeks of August due to COVID, olympics aldo distracted some audiences as well as floods ib some parts of China. High profile films all moved away. I.e. Battle of Lake Changjin which was estimated to earn at least USD400m moved from 12th Aug to 30th Sep.

Oh I wasn't posting this as gotcha type thing. I was lonely and wanted to feel apart of the conversation 🥴

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Oh I wasn't posting this as gotcha type thing. I was lonely and wanted to feel apart of the conversation 🥴

Haha - no hard feelings at all! Didn't think your comment was directed at me.

It was a fair point brought up and since i sort of know what happened i thought i could share some context. 🙂

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-opening-weekend-box-office-1234826987/

$18.9M yesterday. That’s hands down the best Monday ever for a film during the pandemic, and the 28th biggest Monday of all-time, ahead of 2012’s Avengers ($18.89M) and behind The Dark Knight Rises ($19.4M) and Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle at $19.1M. All of this spells for a revised 4-day of $94.4M.

hang-Chi will own the No. 1 spot in its second weekend, estimated to be -60%, with around $30M, ahead of Warner Bros-HBO Max’s James Wan horror film Malignant which is expected to be in the single digits.

lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

51 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yup cause 30% of Cinemas was closed in the weeks of August due to COVID, olympics also distracted some audiences as well as floods in some parts of China. High profile films all moved away. I.e. Battle of Lake Changjin which was estimated to earn at least USD400m moved from 12th Aug to 30th Sep.

Yeah I know Disney caters to the CCP.

I'm saying they shouldn't. 

9 minutes ago, john2000 said:

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-opening-weekend-box-office-1234826987/

$18.9M yesterday. That’s hands down the best Monday ever for a film during the pandemic, and the 28th biggest Monday of all-time, ahead of 2012’s Avengers ($18.89M) and behind The Dark Knight Rises ($19.4M) and Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle at $19.1M. All of this spells for a revised 4-day of $94.4M.

This is a very unlucky number :whosad:

Hopefully actuals can hit 95m

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

That's quite informative, thank you. 

By the way Carina Lau (regardless of her political stance) is an amazing actress and each movie I watch I get to like her more than the last. 

Can't really blame the actors for not standing up to the CCP though. The alternative is, best case, fading into obscurity and maybe finding a career outside of China, and worst case, get canceled utterly and possibly have worse repercussions to yourself or your family. Or have your name scrubbed from the Internet. Or get arrested.

14 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Shang-Chi will own the No. 1 spot in its second weekend, estimated to be -60%, with around $30M, ahead of Warner Bros-HBO Max’s James Wan horror film Malignant which is expected to be in the single digits.

lol

OK, this is certified parody now. First that laughable 90M OW WW and now 60% drop with no competition. Horror doesn't completely overlap so it won't steal big chunk of the audience.