Eric the Ape

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

34 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Patty got lucky, ww84 would have dropped big time in nonpandemic times. With the weird HBO max deal Patty and Gal still got paid extra and ww3 will happen.

Now Patty will give ww3 an 45 minute CGI shitfest action final battle to please the studio and fanboys disappointed at the art movie ww84.

"the art"

The first Wonder Woman third act was the weakest part and almost everyone pretty much agree, so it's funny people think the reason the second one was disliked was for the "not CGI action final battle", almost no one was saying that when discussing WW84 thousand problems.

Edited by Fox20
  • Like 4

Honestly so pleased with what it did...great film - was so surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Loved the fantasy elements and the creatures.

They actually put a fucking NINETALES in the film?!

I mean...they must have known it would be so similar to a certain franchise lmfao

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bladels said:

Yeah

Disney claimed Raya is the first South East Asians Princess. WTF is that even mean? I'm Vietnamese and in no universe we act like Raya. The only thing remotely Vietnamese about Raya is when Raya and Namaari calling each other “dep la”. That's vietnamese word but it sounds so strange in the movie, nobody in Vietnam use the word like that.

I'm glad the movie boombed in SE Asia.

And people in this thread can forget about the idea that casting one or two famous Chinese actor can increase movie's box office in Asia. That just seems a little insulting. 

The word “dep la” is also low key insulting even if it’s the characters calling themselves that. Like I guess they think it might be a term of endearment or inside jokes between friends. But in certain circumstances it’s equivalent to me looking at someone appearance and calling them “beautiful but in like an exotic way” and that’s not it. 

I’m Asian American and I couldn’t even connect with whatever it was they try to do in Raya so I was not at all surprised about its reception from SE Asians. It really was such a wasted opportunity and disappointment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Honestly so pleased with what it did...great film - was so surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Loved the fantasy elements and the creatures.

Hide contents

They actually put a fucking NINETALES in the film?!

I mean...they must have known it would be so similar to a certain franchise lmfao

It was a Huli Jing but I know what you mean

Edited by iHeartJames

7 minutes ago, Sam said:

The word “dep la” is also low key insulting even if it’s the characters calling themselves that. Like I guess they think it might be a term of endearment or inside jokes between friends. But in certain circumstances it’s equivalent to me looking at someone appearance and calling them “beautiful but in like an exotic way” and that’s not it. 

I’m Asian American and I couldn’t even connect with whatever it was they try to do in Raya so I was not at all surprised about its reception from SE Asians. It really was such a wasted opportunity and disappointment. 

I sometimes wonder...with a studio spending nearly $200m on a project...could they have not spoken to proper Taiwanese people to get a better grip of the culture? 

Ok, that is a very not sus at all lucky number. Disney really trying hard to make up for the unlucky 4 day total:rofl: The final 4 day will be like 94,668,888 :P

Movie Distr Gross %LW Thr Thr
Chng
Per
Thr
Total
Gross
W
1 N Shang-Chi and the Leg… Walt Disney $75,388,688   4,300   $17,532 $75,388,688 1
Edited by Lion Roar
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, xiazhi said:

Financially ww84 is the bigger flop because at least Raya has that PA money. Raya is also doing extremely well on streaming while I doubt anyone still watches ww84 on hbomax. Besides ww84 is already a flop when you compare it to Raya.

You just proved my point lol. Raya is doing well on streaming now that it’s free. It never had a week as big viewer wise as WW84 did (according to Neilsen). Disney didn’t release any PA numbers like they did for Black Widow and Jungle Cruise, so we know it was much lower than both. 

You’ll never know if people still watch WW84 because Neilsen don’t track HBOMax. WW84 is still the biggest film of the year on home video here in the UK. 

Cinderella was the most streamed film of the weekend. 

Shang Chi was the 5th most illegally downloaded film of the weekend. People must be stealing/watching awful quality versions. 

1. Don’t Breathe 2

2. The Protege

3. Cinderella

4. The Suicide Squad

5. Shang-Chi

https://deadline.com/2021/09/camila-cabello-cinderella-amazon-weekend-viewership-samba-tv-1234828383/

That shows though, as soon as the film hits a streamer or PVOD, the pirates are all over it. Scum.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Shang Chi was the 5th most illegally downloaded film of the weekend. People must be stealing/watching awful quality versions. 

1. Don’t Breathe 2

2. The Protege

3. Cinderella

4. The Suicide Squad

5. Shang-Chi

https://deadline.com/2021/09/camila-cabello-cinderella-amazon-weekend-viewership-samba-tv-1234828383/

That shows though, as soon as the film hits a streamer or PVOD, the pirates are all over it. Scum.

at least there's one chart where suicide squad is beating it.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Cinderella was the most streamed film of the weekend. 

1. Don’t Breathe 2

2. The Protege

3. Cinderella

4. The Suicide Squad

5. Shang-Chi

Pirating Cinderella? That's the last low even for them.