Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (10/22-24) | Dune 41M OW. French Dispatch 1.35M. Timothee can't be stopped!

I am over cine going altogether. I went to cinema earlier this month after 550+ day, found it very underwhelming and expensive. For context, it cost me same to watch a movie and my 1 year Amazon Prime subscription in India. Coincidentally, the movie dragged so hard in 2nd half, if I was watching it at home, would have liked it better with forward option at my hand. Only reason I am going to cinema is for FOMO affect for MCU films which are hard to avoid spoilers, though I am still to watch Shang Chi.

For rest of stuff, I am gonna love 45 days window for Hollywood & 4 weeks window for most Indian content.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Dune seems very polarizing. I think I would come down on boring side, May catch on max over Christmas or something.

92% from over 1000 verified accounts on RT, 8.3 from 133K on IMDB, 8.4 from 253 audience ratings. Not polarizing in the slightest but overwhelmingly positive. Numbers are likely going down the more people see it but they won't go drastically down.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Honestly for me I...don't get the PLF hype? Outside of the fact that I'm a cheapskate who doesn't like paying extra, I can watch a movie just fine even if it's in a crummy projection area. I saw Shang-Chi in IMAX and it didn't really change anything for me (though I'm aware that's probably a case of just the movie or something). And really, if you think you absolutely need to see a movie in IMAX or whatever to get out of something, I feel like that says to the movie that it can't stand on its own and that it's not entertaining unless you get some extra bells and whistles.

I'm seeing Dune later today, and despite everybody saying how it must be seen in IMAX and I will miss out on so much without IMAX...I'm just going to the 2D show. If I need to see a movie in a PLF in order to like it, then it says to me maybe the movie isn't very good or holds up on its own.

Why not just watch it on a TV? If you need to see a movie in a theater in order to like it, then it says to me maybe the movie isn't very good or holds up on its own.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Honestly for me I...don't get the PLF hype? Outside of the fact that I'm a cheapskate who doesn't like paying extra, I can watch a movie just fine even if it's in a crummy projection area. I saw Shang-Chi in IMAX and it didn't really change anything for me (though I'm aware that's probably a case of just the movie or something). And really, if you think you absolutely need to see a movie in IMAX or whatever to get out of something, I feel like that says to the movie that it can't stand on its own and that it's not entertaining unless you get some extra bells and whistles.

I'm seeing Dune later today, and despite everybody saying how it must be seen in IMAX and I will miss out on so much without IMAX...I'm just going to the 2D show. If I need to see a movie in a PLF in order to like it, then it says to me maybe the movie isn't very good or holds up on its own.

I saw it on a large 2D screen with Dolby in cinema and it was magical with that. Can't tell how much IMAX adds to that but hard to imagine that you must do that in order to really enjoy this.

That said, I think it is great that we can have IMAXs and developments in cinema that give more tools to create even more immersive experiences, and that there are movies that use it. I would say that most movies don't need it, and most filmmakers don't know how to use it in a way that complements the storytelling itself rather than overwhelms it, or becomes the main act.

I think Dune is a perfect example where you have that pure cinematic experience where story, sound, and visuals play near perfection together.

It's not for everyone and it's far from casual. I think the most important thing for experiencing this is not the settings in the theater but how you prepare yourself for it. Good night sleep, throw your cellphone away in the morning, get relaxed and when in theater, try not to think anything, just be open and let it sink in. If your brain is in the hamster treadmill when you walk in, it's not gonna work.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Dune seems very polarizing. I think I would come down on boring side, May catch on max over Christmas or something.

Mah boi, we've been friends for how many years now? You know this is important to me! 😠

4 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Dispatch taking the PTA crown from Venom by a good bit here I suppose.

This is Timothee's world and we're all living in it. 🤩

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Isn't Wes Anderson's audience millennials with disposable income rather than the older gen X and boomers

I saw Dispatch last night. There was like one Old couple, then a few 30/40 somethings, and a whole group of 20somethings around my age. This definitely benefits from Wesley having young Film Twitter dorks like me on its side. Don't know if PTA has a "brand" like Anderson does, but I feel the youths are in his corner too for Licorice Pizza...maybe?