titanic2187

Halloween Weekend Thread | D:$15.53m HK: $8.5m NTTD: $7.82m

I abhor that we live in a time that it's not enough for a movie to exist or to complete its story - each big budget movie must spawn six other movies or it's labeled a failure. It's stupid studio math and it drives fans to be defensive because they're wrapped up in the thing they love not being perceived as a disappointment.

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

Must be one of those rare movies to cross 300M without the GA, literally running completely off film twitter I suppose.

PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING, a flop sequel that nobody liked, made $290M.

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE, a colossal flop people were laughing at months before release, grossed $389M worldwide.

Would you label these big General Audience hits, @Last Man Standing

• Like 1

Just now, ViewerAnon said:

PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING, a flop sequel that nobody liked, made $290M.

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE, a colossal flop people were laughing at months before release, grossed $389M worldwide.

Would you label these big General Audience hits, @Last Man Standing

They're sequels to movies that did well with the GA, so the GA has given them a chance. Your personal dislike of the movie is somehow stopping you from seeing the obvious, the movie is gonna be one of WBs biggest of the year, is getting a lot of social media buzz, and is highly rated on every possible site. It obviously connected with the GA.

14 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Your personal dislike of the movie is somehow stopping you from seeing the obvious

My dislike of the movie has nothing to do with it. We can happily talk about LAST NIGHT IN SOHO being a bomb if you'd like and that's one of my favorite movies of the year. You, however...

the movie is gonna be one of WBs biggest of the year, is getting a lot of social media buzz, and is highly rated on every possible site. It obviously connected with the

GA.

...are arguing that it's going to be one of WB's biggest of the year, which doesn't mean much if they had a terrible year. See also: Paramount in 2016, where STAR TREK BEYOND was their #1 earner.

...is getting a lot of social media buzz, which means absolutely nothing and is that bubble I was just talking about. 

...is getting highly rated on every possible site, which is that same exact bubble. 

Here's some fun math for you.

CinemaScore -

PACIFIC RIM: A-

DUNE: A-

Opening Weekend -

PACIFIC RIM:  $37.2M

DUNE: $41.0M

Second Weekend - 

PACIFIC RIM: -57.1% (Running Total: $68.2M)

DUNE: -62% (Running Total: $69.4M)

Third Weekend -

PACIFIC RIM: -51.9%

DUNE: ???

PACIFIC RIM is currently $1.2M behind DUNE's pace. It finished with $101.8M domestically. How confident are you that DUNE keeps up this weekend? After all, people are talking about it on social media, I'm sure it will make a difference.

I bring up PR because their numbers are fascinatingly close, Legendary has to be having mild potential franchise PTSD, and I was frequently told on message boards that audiences loved it, that everyone loved it, and I was just blinded by the fact I didn't like it much myself.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

This thread is full of people seeing what they want to see.

My guy, that's just you. The facts are that it is getting a major awards push (which btw, Pacific Rim did not get) and practically every major pundit thinks it's getting a BP nom. A 62% drop for this film is also better than every other $20 mil+ opening HBO Max day and date film except for Conjuring 3. People overestimating earlier this week doesn't change that. The movie has also gotten pretty good audience scores and great legs outside of the US (where it's not receiving a day and date release date). 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Some people are in for a really nasty shock when DUNE doesn’t even sniff a Best Picture nod.

This wouldn't surprise me at all.  If Bladerunner 2049(his best film) didn't get one, then I see no reason why this one would.

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

French Dispatch falling from 3.5 estimates to 2.7 is pretty bad. Sad.

2 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

Yeah, wtf happened there? Really good Friday, but just a bad Saturday and Sunday?

Like Last Night in Soho, it clearly just didn't appeal to anyone who wasn't a card-carrying member of the director's fanbase, in addition to the already much-discussed specialty/adults only box office concerns. A few weeks ago the head of distribution at Searchlight said they would be happy if the movie made just 30% of The Grand Budapest Hotel's total, although wonder if their tune has changed now that it's looking to struggle to make even 1/6 its total.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

What a 190M movie grossing 400M (112M from China) during the 3D peak have in common with a 165M movie grossing something similar during a pandemic with a streaming release?

Nevermind Dune is a safe bet to be a tech Oscar contender, 3 words that didn’t describe PR.

”Dune is this year’s Pacific Rim!” Boy outside of context, that’s hilariously silly that is worthy of being shared online for LOLz like a Devin Faraci hot take from back in the day. Even inside context, it’s a stretch. PR never had a Paul Krugman blowjob column.

VA, you’re usually calm/objective with good opinions around here and yes we always appreciate your scoops. But sometimes you have the tendency to double down and be defensive when something goes against your predictions (here and Twitter) and you act like the very people you’re complaining about. It’s ok, it happens. I remember being pressed when Wonder Woman did well reviews/box office and I took any opportunity to snipe it or belittle it because I was a franchise war soldier. Now I look back and realize how stupid and time wasting it was for a decent picture that yes was a big hit. One has to learn and move on.

I mean I’m a Marvelite, do you see me acting like this with the Eternals reviews? No. Notice how I gave an opinion about how Oscar voters don’t vote just to get their awards show a ratings boost. Somebody disagreed with that. Well, ok. 

The French Dispatch is increasing its screens next week.

From Deadline

The notable holdover was Wes Anderson’s The French Dispatch. The film from Searchlight Pictures, which posted a super per screen average of $26,000 last weekend in 42 locations — expanded to 788 theaters for a $2.8 million, three-day gross and per screen average of over $3,500. The cumulative gross after 10 days in release is $4.6 million.

Searchlight said strong venues opened in week two include the Belcourt in Nashville, Avon in Stamford Ct., Cinema du Parc and the Forum in Montreal, Hillcrest in San Diego, Tower in Sacramento, Avon in Providence, Lagoon in Minneapolis, Piedmont in Oakland and the Manor in Pittsburgh.

Next week it moves to 1,200 theaters in all remaining medium and smaller markets, including arthouses across New England, Western Mass., upstate New York, Raleigh North Carolina, and Central Pennsylvania.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ronin46 said:

The French Dispatch is increasing its screens next week.

From Deadline

The notable holdover was Wes Anderson’s The French Dispatch. The film from Searchlight Pictures, which posted a super per screen average of $26,000 last weekend in 42 locations — expanded to 788 theaters for a $2.8 million, three-day gross and per screen average of over $3,500. The cumulative gross after 10 days in release is $4.6 million.

Searchlight said strong venues opened in week two include the Belcourt in Nashville, Avon in Stamford Ct., Cinema du Parc and the Forum in Montreal, Hillcrest in San Diego, Tower in Sacramento, Avon in Providence, Lagoon in Minneapolis, Piedmont in Oakland and the Manor in Pittsburgh.

Next week it moves to 1,200 theaters in all remaining medium and smaller markets, including arthouses across New England, Western Mass., upstate New York, Raleigh North Carolina, and Central Pennsylvania.

It’ll probably be crushed by Spencer 

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

If this is what’s happening with Dune actually meeting expectations, I dread to think what next weekends thread will be like. 

I think expectations have been largely recalibrated over the past week, so I (perhaps naively) think we’ll be fine as long as we beat the Meltdown Bar™️

1 hour ago, Avatar Legion said:

I think expectations have been largely recalibrated over the past week, so I (perhaps naively) think we’ll be fine as long as we beat the Meltdown Bar™️

I’m still expecting it to be the first $100m opener, despite the reviews. 

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m still expecting it to be the first $100m opener, despite the reviews. 

Then I suggest you lower your expectations  it's looking like 10m previews for now. With a standard mcu  internal multiplier  7.5-8 gets it to 75-85m. 

Reviews have really not done this any favors tbh.

• Like 2