Eric Duncan

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Encanto v Gucci v Resi Evil | Sales available on the first page | We're all gonna die of sadness not COVID

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think there's about a 30 percent chance that No Way Home/Sing 2 and others (not Matrix) are delayed by the end of the week. I'll look to see if Spider-Man is delayed before tickets apparently go on sale on the 29th.

i'd love if stuff got delayed again my watchlist is starting to pile up i need the time out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good numbers for Gucci, Encanto and Ghostbusters, still going to be super low when comparing to 2019 and before but good to see an adult drama and an animated family film doing much better than their peers have so far this year. 

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think there's about a 30 percent chance that No Way Home/Sing 2 and others (not Matrix) are delayed by the end of the week. I'll look to see if Spider-Man is delayed before tickets apparently go on sale on the 29th.

Is the South Africa variant hitting key markets already? I'll admit this is all super early, but I remember it took a while for Delta to peak after that variant was founded.

Yeah, everything currently out now would have to really start tanking in the numbers like in March 2020 for studios to delay the Christmas releases at this point. At most, they'll just settle for making less than they would have in a pandemic-free environment like they have for most of the year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Madrigal said:

Is the South Africa variant hitting key markets already? I'll admit this is all super early, but I remember it took a while for Delta to peak after that variant was founded.

Delta took about three months to spread in the US, but this variant is apparently spreading way faster

Unless the production pipeline gets majorly impacted I doubt we see delays for all but the biggest films, most will shift to streaming and go theatrical were they can at this point I imagine, can't keep the production going and just hold everything back when that is what they had to do that last couple of years. Of course that is if Omicron is the real deal which is still to be determined. WHO gave it a classification as a variant of concern and studies still need to be done to determine what we are dealing with. 

6 minutes ago, Eric Madrigal said:

Only been a thing for a small while, first case was tracked back to November 12th as far as I know, has already spread to 3 continents and will likely see more countries with cases as genomic sequencing continues to be done. Confirmed cases in the tweet below, it may already be the dominant strain in South Africa. 

Edited by Jamiem

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think December releases will get delayed, but starting next year everything is in danger.

No delays. We need to start admitting some movies belong straight to streaming.

Do we really need to go outside to watch Top Gun 2?

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Madrigal said:

Has not hit the markets yet but more thinking in terms of what happened with NTTD/F9 with the delays coming because of what was imminent. I agree with Maggie that it is much more likely major 2022 releases are delayed than anything in December, so Spider Man is safe I'd say.

Early data indicates that this variant weakens vaccines efficacy but does not fully eliminate it, which is good. The other key ingredient is if the FDA would ever get off their asses and act with some urgency on approving Paxlovid and providing more clear booster guidance too. I haven't critiqued the Biden administration on Afghanistan, prices, BBB, or anything other Democrats have, but it's astonishing how much the administration is passively allowing the FDA and CDC to mangle the communications and hold life-saving drugs up in bureaucracy. I love big government but I don't love it that much.

• Like 2

Just now, AJG said:

No delays. We need to start admitting some movies belong straight to streaming.

Do we really need to go outside to watch Top Gun 2?

we don't i guess, but people who invested money in it would want to recover it. Putting it on Par+ is not an option for them

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

No December release are getting delayed. I doubt there will be lockdowns either. As someone else says before maybe some 2022 releases we moved or just put on steaming if the variant gets worse.

There's no evidence vaccines will be surpassed by the new variant. It does have mutations indicating immunity escape, how much? Nobody knows.

All the concerning variants have immunity escape, Delta included, that's why vaccines aren't giving 100% protection. They need more data to see how much escape it have, but i'll let a thread from a vaccine developer here explaining why is very unlikely the variant will overpass the protection even if it will hurt it a bit.

With that said, Omicron is very highly transmissible, more than Delta? Also hard to know because South África not only have terrible vaccination ratings but Delta also wasn't such a thing there now so the New Variant isn't really having competition to surpass it. We have to wait before knowing if it's stable and transmissible enough to became dominant globally, cases popping up is expected.

If the vaccines still work fine that's good news and we'll soon have more info about that, but it's clear for months now that governments need to help countries where vaccines aren't widely available and need to start making the vaccination mandatory where millions refuse to take the shot, otherwise If not now eventually some Variant will hurt vaccines significantly because these are the two situations that help the virus to evolve to this point that it can make everything collapse again, including theaters.

So far, we just have to wait and try to ignore the usual media clickbaits because the data is too premature. 

On topic, glad with the numbers today after yesterday disappointment, nice that Encanto is doing +40M and Gucci is doing +20M, solid for both.

• Like 5

Sony’s Ghostbusters: Afterlife earned another $5.3 million on its seventh day of release, dropping just 2% from its $5.45 million Wednesday gross. That gives Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan’s $75 million “legacy sequel” a solid $63.258 million week-long cume. That’s a better Thanksgiving day hold than any mid-November tentpoles going back 20 years

Ron Swanson Smile GIF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Knowing you, you'll thread me for talking back. Or worse having an opinion different than yours.

Something

Spoiler

li'l bitches

like you typically do.

So, I'm not the mod, but I'd suggest you delete this whole post b/c while I'm normally in favor of no bans and widespread convos, the one thing I totally come down on is name calling and/or ad hominem attacks...and your 2nd line can't be construed as anything but...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, filmnerdjamie said:

A bit confused about that Afterlife drop yesterday.

That would suggest people like it? But how can that be since Film Twitter says it's terrible and people don't really like it?!

I agree with that post but your second post was - even as a reply - a bit over the top IMO.

However, I don't remember what the total domestic projection for G:A was. Does anybody remember? I think it's doing better than projected but I'm not sure.