Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I have a hunch D'Esposito's head will roll before the year ends.

At some point instead of talking about Feige's minions getting sacked perhaps we should start the conversation that Feige is the one who should go? Cause ultimately Feige is the one who is happy to let the inmates run the asylum. Happy to let the MCU degrade to it's current state. 

Edited by scytheavatar

9 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

At same point instead of talking about Feige's minions getting sacked perhaps we should start the conversation that Feige is the one who should go? Cause ultimately Feige is the one who is happy to let the inmates run the asylum. Happy to let the MCU degrade to it's current state. 

and put exactly who in charge of mcu,looking at disney do you really see them getting someone better

• Like 2

Yeah lol the MCU will last 5 days without Feige. He will never ever get fired. Alonso has been put out as the sacrifice and she was not getting along with Feige. No more heads of top executives will roll this year, the hyperbole right now is puerile. Marvel has been screaming about making changes since December now, they are coming. Those changes won´t be seen before 2-3 years and the MCU will be fine. Diminishing returns, big time but it will be fine. The increase in output that was 3x more a year cleary became too much. Disney can look at themselves for trying to milk the brand for streaming. 

Anyhow re Mario: Could 200M 5-day be a small possibility?

94% of QM would be pretty decent actually and suggest like 24... except that QM was fewer hours. But curious to see where QM d3 or so is at.

Definitely getting hammered from all the crap they've put out recently as many ave already noted. Being actually great could still lead to a fine Dom finish, but if not... 👀

Guardians of the Galaxy MiniTC2 T-31 days

Previews - 2,947/83,711 (322 showings) $45,601

Comps

96.5% of Quantumania (Actually more like 76% ish)

63.4% of Wakanada Forever

As everyone said, sales below QM. Not really surprised as well given QM felt like had more urgency. What this need to is end well which last few MCU films have faltered. Can see it go over $20M if all goes well.

That said, Friday & Saturday sales are relatively better than QM. So that is that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Other local set...again, not a huge Marvel team up clear out, but some expansion (almost 5 of 14 screens now - 4.75).  So, good expansion from a great starting set, but not amazing expansion, where the sky's the limit for the open...

Anyway, surviving and other openers here...

Air - Now 2 screens - that is an expansion from presales - the power of a TMobile Atom deal to give hope to theaters (since they get full price for those $5 tickets)

D&D - 1.75 screens - again WOM hope here

JW3 - 2.25 screens - same as the other

Shazam - .75 screens - JW3 has the latest show, which I assume Shazam sold nothing to anyway

Creed - 1 screen

Scream - .25 screen - has 2 late shows - again, it takes the biggest hit for March movies

Jesus - 1 screen - probably since the other dropped it last week - this may not even make it past Sunday, and I'd expect this is where they scratch shows if needed

Foreign - one does stay for 1 showings - .25

Dropped = The rest of the foreign, Ant Man, and Puss - so the same as the last theater - Ant Man biggest loser (since Puss was only held for animated) and Scream the biggest held showing loser...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Damn. If even GOTG3 which felt like the most fireproof one at a glance is taking the heat of recent MCU output I wonder how things will go with The Marvels..

At this point I can honestly see that making less in its entire run than the first Captain Marvel did in its opening weekend. Its only hope now is getting Dark Knight-level out of this world reviews. And even critical lauding didn't save Dungeons and Dragons.

I honestly cannot wait for November. We might have another John Carter-level omegabomb for the ages, folks.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

Anyhow re Mario: Could 200M 5-day be a small possibility?

I would’ve said not a chance a week ago, but these pre-sale numbers are something else.

I’m officially going to be disappointed with sub-$150M.

All this "MCU is doomed" noise is becoming really annoying.

So Guardians 3 first day of presales doesn't match expectations and people freaking out without considering that we are a full month away from the OW and that the presales have begun in the middle of a tentpole's huge opening

50 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

At this point I can honestly see that making less in its entire run than the first Captain Marvel did in its opening weekend. Its only hope now is getting Dark Knight-level out of this world reviews. And even critical lauding didn't save Dungeons and Dragons.

I honestly cannot wait for November. We might have another John Carter-level omegabomb for the ages, folks.

Brie Larson was promoting AMWQ on twitter; it seems like she has a big stake in Avengers: KD, as I hadn't seen her promote any other MCU movie before. So if The Marvels flop, then even Spider-Man can't save Avengers 5 from flopping hard.

38 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Anything is possible after it's a Marvel Movie 

There's this tiny little detail: The Dark Knight is widely considered the greatest comic book movie and one of the greatest movies ever made. Let's just say it's highly highly unlikely The Marvels will reach those heights, it doesn't have anything behind it for that leap.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Guardians of the Galaxy MiniTC2 T-31 days

Previews - 2,947/83,711 (322 showings) $45,601

Comps

96.5% of Quantumania (Actually more like 76% ish)

63.4% of Wakanada Forever

As everyone said, sales below QM. Not really surprised as well given QM felt like had more urgency. What this need to is end well which last few MCU films have faltered. Can see it go over $20M if all goes well.

That said, Friday & Saturday sales are relatively better than QM. So that is that.

As the date gets closer, and there's word of potential big events like key character deaths that people will want to ensure they see it unspoiled, I think it could lead to a late surge.

I think general audiences are more motivated by that type of urgency rather than the broader lore type of spoilers.

2 hours ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

People already got into "fire Feige" zone. How about we wait before the doomtalk, things are bad now but GA waiting for reactions before jumping in is totally possible. People don't want to experience the broken hype again after the last few Marvel movies.

“Fire Feige” is the Hollywood equivalent of “fire Klopp”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1