EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not sure about these two. They didn't do well OS either and OS showed up in droves for many movies including some targeting families aka 4 quad movies. Encanto still hasn't passed 100M OS (probably happening these days which is terrible for Disney animation brand) and they have no D+ excuse. People just didn't care about this one. I guess King Richard is like other Oscary dramas starring Will Smith - no splosions, no audience. 

They don't? I just watched Encanto on Disney+ in Portugal.

King Richard was never gonna do well OS. Nobody cares about tenis outside of the USA.

Edited by CJohn

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Not sure about these two. They didn't do well OS either and OS showed up in droves for many movies including some targeting families aka 4 quad movies. Encanto still hasn't passed 100M OS (probably happening these days which is terrible for Disney animation brand) and they have no D+ excuse. People just didn't care about this one. I guess King Richard is like other Oscary dramas starring Will Smith - no splosions, no audience. 

Disney+ is actually in most of the major markets around the world now. The only big ones which don't have it is China and Russia. In fact, there are around 120 million subscribers globally. When you include couples or families that share accounts, that's easily hundreds of millions of people that could watch Encanto for free instead of going to theaters. This is not taking into account countries like Japan where many theater chains actively boycott Disney+ releases or remove them from theaters once they hit streaming. 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Man, West Side Story is a fucking knockout. My new number one of the year (several others pending)

It’s so great. I was just looking at yesterdays numbers, in complete disbelief that it hasn’t even hit $22m yet. 

Truly one of the biggest disasters of the whole year. Here we were considering a $70m final (because of the time of year) after its crap opening and it’s honestly completely sputtering to maybe $30m total. Dreadful. Such a shame. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Man, West Side Story is a fucking knockout. My new number one of the year (several others pending)

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

I just got out of Matrix. Absolutely fucking fantastic!!! Smfh at WB for dumping it.

Y’all are real ones

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Nobody cares about tennis outside the US? Guess Wimbledon is just a little local tournament then

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Whatever. English spoken countries then.

Yea, English speaking countries like the ones Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic come from! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Disney+ is actually in most of the major markets around the world now. The only big ones which don't have it is China and Russia. In fact, there are around 120 million subscribers globally. When you include couples or families that share accounts, that's easily hundreds of millions of people that could watch Encanto for free instead of going to theaters. This is not taking into account countries like Japan where many theater chains actively boycott Disney+ releases or remove them from theaters once they hit streaming. 

yes but it wasn't released day and date no? it went to D+ recently. Also, just because people can watch something from home it doesn't mean they'd automatically watch it in the theaters if there wasn't a home option. It's a reassuring thought that they would but no proof. 

I guess people care about tennis as a game not tennis in movies. @CJohn

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes but it wasn't released day and date no? it went to D+ recently. Also, just because people can watch something from home it doesn't mean they'd automatically watch it in the theaters if there wasn't a home option. It's a reassuring thought that they would but no proof. 

I guess people care about tennis as a game not tennis in movies. @CJohn

I agree that not everyone watching at home would have gone to theaters, but there's no denying the Disney+ release hurt its theatrical earnings. If even a small fraction (say 10%, which is likely a lowball estimate) of that global subscriber base watched it at home vs at the theater, that's still $100+ million in lost box office revenue. 

And although Encanto wasn't day and date, waiting 30 days is honestly nothing compared to the previous 3-month theatrical exclusive window (and still lower than the 45 days most studios are going with now). The convenience of watching at home for free is pretty big for families since you are saving the price of admission for at least 3-4 people. Then you have to factor in all the families who are still hesitant about returning to theaters during a pandemic, and it's easy to see why many will just wait 30 days to watch it for free at home. It will be interesting to see the metrics for Encanto on Disney+ when they are released. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

The convenience of watching at home for free is pretty big for families since you are saving the price of admission for at least 3-4 people.

The novelty of watching stuff at home must be wearing off. People need to get out more. 

• Like 2

Spider-Man ay nearly 6x the #2 movie in Canada today. 

Matrix at #2, Sing not far behind in admissions, but ATP is lower so Matrix is safely ahead.

Kingsman about 1/3 of Matrix. The “smaller”

releases aren’t doing a whole lot, but the biggest of them is LP despite being in less than half as many theaters.

American Underdog is doubling Journal for Jordan (I don’t even think there’s a single theater in the country that’s sold more than 30 tickets for the latter).

Oh lol and MacBeth is ahead of Jordan even though the former is only playing in 4 theaters.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Spider-Man ay nearly 6x the #2 movie in Canada today. 

Matrix at #2, Sing not far behind in admissions, but ATP is lower so Matrix is safely ahead.

Kingsman about 1/3 of Matrix. The “smaller”

releases aren’t doing a whole lot, but the biggest of them is LP despite being in less than half as many theaters.

American Underdog is doubling Journal for Jordan (I don’t even think there’s a single theater in the country that’s sold more than 30 tickets for the latter).

Hmm, trying to figure the rough math here if we assume MR is doing about double what it did Friday, and your numbers can be expanded to the entire domestic market then we're probably looking at $31-33M for NWH today which would be even weaker than expected. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Nobody cares about tennis outside the US? Guess Wimbledon is just a little local tournament then

Yeah but i mean hes right, take the French Open for example: They have mostly 1 or 2 spectators during the tournament, dont they?

Oh, wait i may have forgotten to put several more numbers behind those.

Mega loling at anyone even remotely thinking tenis is mainstream in any region of the European Union. Literally bursted out laughing. It is a niche thing that would never make a movie like King Richard a big hit.

Edited by CJohn

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Mega loling at anyone even remotely thinking tenis is mainstream in any region of the European Union. Literally bursted out laughing. It is a niche thing that would never make a movie like King Richard a big hit.

I don't think anyone thinks that. You keep doing you, CJohn. 

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF