EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

6 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

69% drop for NWH on par with other massive drops during the Pandemic for Blockbuster films.

I think it's high time people just accept the fact that the pandemic has changed movie theaters and theater going experience. Majority of people will go opening weekend, but if they don't go opening weekend the chances are very high they will not see the film in theaters. And will just wait 2 months and sometimes even less for it to end up on streaming.

That is why 30-45  theater exclusive window is a joke. They may not impacting a movie only when on the week when it is available on streaming but the impact may very well in place on a movie 1st or 2nd week. And studio still rushing going somewhere else where a film will stick there forever, thereby cheapen their product  

• Like 2

How is an increase from Sat bad? Bodes very well for NWH's weekdays.

Sing 2 idk. It doesn't seem terrible. I'm not sure how "anticipated" it was. I agree with whoever made the Secret Life of Pets 2 comp. Illumination has had a lot of success with their new IPs or adaptations, but other than Despicable Me/Minions they don't have long lasting appeal. Kind of like animated flavor of the week movies. Also, is it one of the movies coming to Peacock with that stupid 17-day theatrical window? If so, it's the same situation as Encanto.

Just now, Mango said:

How is an increase from Sat bad? Bodes very well for NWH's weekdays.

Sing 2 idk. It doesn't seem terrible. I'm not sure how "anticipated" it was. I agree with whoever made the Secret Life of Pets 2 comp. Illumination has had a lot of success with their new IPs or adaptations, but other than Despicable Me/Minions they don't have long lasting appeal. Kind of like animated flavor of the week movies. Also, is it one of the movies coming to Peacock with that stupid 17-day theatrical window? If so, it's the same situation as Encanto.

A 6% increase is terrible for an animated film.

• Like 1

It's good that The Matrix is burning.  AT&T needed to feel one last kick to the nuts for their idiotic HBOMax bullshit.  

The funny thing is that the narrative will be that their first release in 2022 and first to go theatrical exclusive since nearly 2019 is going to be a monster and make like $175m+ opening weekend.  

• Like 1

Actually, the first 4 movies for Warner Bros. are all going to be big hits for them.  

The Batman is guaranteed to be huge.  Fantastic Beasts 3 looks like a good reset and will do well, The Elvis movie is going to surprise and Black Adam will be fun and do great.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's good that The Matrix is burning.  AT&T needed to feel one last kick to the nuts for their idiotic HBOMax bullshit.  

The funny thing is that the narrative will be that their first release in 2022 and first to go theatrical exclusive since nearly 2019 is going to be a monster and make like $175m+ opening weekend.  

I’m (somewhat) glad that Matrix is crashing specifically because it makes it less likely that WB will be able to keep milking it. If that was Lana Wachowski’s intention when she signed on to direct, then I actually have a certain degree of respect for that. I have zero interest in a Matrix movie from the writer of Free Guy.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Actually, the first 4 movies for Warner Bros. are all going to be big hits for them.  

The Batman is guaranteed to be huge.  Fantastic Beasts 3 looks like a good reset and will do well, The Elvis movie is going to surprise and Black Adam will be fun and do great.  

if batman is great it'll be the best DC/WB film since TDKR, that means over 1.1 bil worldwide.

6 hours ago, RiddlerXXR said:

In lieu of this, I'm updating my expectations to the following....

595 through January 3rd

75 after that

670 final 

more like 470 by sun and if your drop holds then  20 mill mon ,if the mon drop is close to 30% as you said in the other thread then we would have 22,75

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Johnny depp fans are boycotting fantastic beasts

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kinda happy with Matrix's boxoffice performance tbh. Kills the franchise, meaning that the Wachowskis get the last say on it for at least the next decade or so. Could mean Wachowskis will never get to work on this scale ever again, but after having seen this film, I doubt they even want to deal with the frustration of doing so ever again.

FB3, I honestly have no idea how that will do.  I wouldn’t be surprised if its performance is underwhelming, as much as I wouldn’t be shocked if it does pretty well.  International will likely pulls its weight more than domestic if I had money on it. 

it feels like a LONG time since the second movie. Does your average joe even remember where the story left off? 

Edited by wildphantom

Why the meltdown?

It's clear that the theatrical market is not what it once was and yet NWH has already entered the top 20 all time.

Did you all really think that it would challenge Endgame or TFA or whatever when there are demographics that still haven't returned to theatres? Shouldn't the performance of WSS/Sing 2 etc. show you this? Weird.

Also, why do people keep saying this movie will drive subscribers for any movie opening early digitally? I can guarantee that most movies will not do so. You really think Encanto will push people over? So since it's gonna be spending the rest of its life on Disney+, they really should not have rushed it. The most high profile animated film failing to make $100m is depressing for the medium's future.