Eric Duncan

Weekday Numbers (12/27-30) | Asgard 2 says 20.5 Thursday for NWH | Derby is Back!

54 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But they aren't watching it at home, either...

WOM seems to be - if you liked Matrix for its pop culture and sci fi coolness and wonderful special effects, you're gonna hate this movie, so just pass...

And it seems like everyone everywhere is passing...

I am gonna enjoy my empty theater tomorrow (which would probably have been changed to a Spidey showing if I didn't already have tickets)...I may hate this movie, but with the Covid breakout here, I've decided I'm just thankful I'm getting my own theater rental tomorrow morning for my boys and I for the cost of BOGO tickets (that gets me platinum status for Cinemark next year:)...$20 for a private rental is kinda awesome...

They are, it is a monster on HBO Max.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ahead of Suicide Squad and Dune, and only behind MK and Godzilla which came out when no other movie competition and when many theaters were still closed. I'm not defending Matrix's awful box office performance but this number is impressive given the holiday season and the actual competition now in theaters. I think it's crazy to say Max has no impact.

2.8m households is a lot more than 2.8m people too, it’ll probably be 5-6m people. Plus the scummy pirates. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ahead of Suicide Squad and Dune, and only behind MK and Godzilla which came out when no other movie competition and when many theaters were still closed. I'm not defending Matrix's awful box office performance but this number is impressive given the holiday season and the actual competition now in theaters. I think it's crazy to say Max has no impact.

Pretty sure SS did not start in a WED, so the numbers are worse in context.

It has impact but it's clear that Matrix would have not pass 70-80M without it either, the box office numbers are far too pathetic.

• Like 1

Logically third weekend should stay flat or increase for No Way Home as second weekend is hampered by Christmas Eve and less show times due to competition. 

Third weekend will have good number of shows as they take away from other films and a busy boxoffice new year weekend.

Weekdays 80 to 90 

Weekend 80 to 90

High possibility of being 630M to 650M by end of next weekend. 

Definitely I don't see it acting like a weekend to weekend drop.

Avatar is definitely going down to 4. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fox20 said:

Pretty sure SS did not start in a WED, so the numbers are worse in context.

It has impact but it's clear that Matrix would have not pass 70-80M without it either, the box office numbers are far too pathetic.

They used Suicide Squad's first four days and Matrix's five day, not exactly a massive difference. Also, Samba's numbers are more conservative than the made-up Netflix numbers - you have to watch a certain number of minutes for Samba to log you. There's probably another million for all these HBO Max movies that put it on for 5 minutes and turned it off.

1 hour ago, TiagoRodrigues said:

The ww numbers for NWH during this entire week will be crazy won't they? Already at 1.1b with monday numbers alone, lmao.

Sony's Spider-verse sequel next year + Spider-Man 2 videogame in 2023 (with both Peter and Miles) will be something for sure.

Also, this feels like a parallel universe or something...Sony has the #1 movie WW 2 years in a row for hollywood. Bad Boys last year and this year with NWH. I won't even mention the fact both Sony's comic movies this year outgrossed the 3 Disney MCU movies (NWH and Venom 2)

The fact that Venom outgrossed Shang Chi for less than 100M after its first movie did over 800M I would not call it a win or that BW when you add PA, did pretty much the same.

55 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

What? They are watching it at home. It's the third highest ranked HBO Max movie by viewers ahead of Suicide Squad and Dune, and will probably pace to over 5m viewers by the end of first month like Kombat and Godzilla did.

There are more than double the subscribers from the time of those 1st 2 movies ahead of it...and D+ Black Widow had the same viewers when they asked for $30/pop for the same timeframe...it's not getting watched like a blockbuster should be watched...

TSS was a fail everywhere - in theaters and on HBO Max...so's this one...

I've been HBO Max's biggest cheerleader this year - but I call it like I see it.  This isn't spin-able...it's bad...and for a $190M budget movie, it's really bad...

Edited by TwoMisfits

TSS will probably end up watched by 6 or 7 million household this year per Samba's conservative stats, which translates to about 20 million individuals. If even a third of those people had watched it in theaters, it would have added about 60-70 million to the gross. I really don't see it as an HBO Max failure or Matrix either, but I guess that's difference of opinion. And both did significantly more than Dune.

Also, there were indeed less subscribers when Godzilla/MK came out - but there was also way less theaters open and the vaccine wasn't widely available, which drove more people towards streaming as the primary option.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nostalgia said:

Logically third weekend should stay flat or increase for No Way Home as second weekend is hampered by Christmas Eve and less show times due to competition. 

Third weekend will have good number of shows as they take away from other films and a busy boxoffice new year weekend.

Weekdays 80 to 90 

Weekend 80 to 90

High possibility of being 630M to 650M by end of next weekend. 

Definitely I don't see it acting like a weekend to weekend drop.

Avatar is definitely going down to 4. 

There’s no way NWH will make over $80 million this weekend.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

The fact that Venom outgrossed Shang Chi for less than 100M after its first movie did over 800M I would not call it a win or that BW when you add PA, did pretty much the same.

Why even compare numbers from before and after the pandemic?

Venom 1 did over 856M pre-pandemic with 270M from China alone. That's 586M if we forget about China.

Venom 2 did 501M without China...and during a pandemic. Still, it only grossed 85M less. It's an incredible result.

If anything these numbers surpasses everything expected for Venom 2. Come on now...i remember the posts here with everyone surprised at how well Venom 2 was doing, specially considering critics didn't push for the first OR second movie...yet interest for the franchise seems to be increasing, not diminishing. 

Edited by TiagoRodrigues
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, there were indeed less subscribers when Godzilla/MK came out - but there was also way less theaters open and the vaccine wasn't widely available, which drove more people towards streaming as the primary option.

There were less subscribers so if the people didnt pirate the movie, the audience for HBOmax movies was not bigger during spring/before vaccine.

This isnt even starting the discussion that because fewer people were on HBOmax Godzilla/MK had to convince the people to subscribe to a new service, while Matrix just has to convince them to watch it.

43 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

I mean at the end of the day none of these films had China to rely on and on top of that, Venom is going to be more profitable than any non NWH MCU movie this year because it had a lower budget.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

$269m of Venom $800m+ gross was from China, which Venom 2 did not have.

So Venom 2s BO gross was not that much lower than the first in like-for-like markets. Also, V2 cost $110m. $500m was a great result

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Venom 2 is an astounding success. Outopened 3 Disney MCU films, "low" budget for a superhero film and the third one will likely be huge depending on what Sony adds to it. 

• Astonished 3