Eric Loves Rey

Weekday Numbers (12/27-30) | Asgard 2 says 20.5 Thursday for NWH | Derby is Back!

2 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

“Always going to hit” kind of elides then difference between 450M and 750M, which is a pretty big difference. For instance, a difference of 3 GvKs.   

If NWH was just puttering to like 625 from a weekend around TLJ perhaps there would be a serious argument here.

Meh. It doesn’t matter if it’s 3 GVKs. GVK over performing the manner it did within the context of its release is undeniably Impressive. It was basically the movie that re-opened theatrical floodgates. And it came off a weakly reviewed previous Godzilla movie. I still don’t think people here fully realize that 100million dollars worth of Americans went to see the theater when the virus was still peaking and there were still no vaccines and theaters were not operating at 100% capacity. All with the simultaneous streaming release 

I hate the movie, so I’m not arguing quality. 

I know a lot of the talk is about this week, but just looking ahead at next month, I wouldn’t be surprised if The 355 opens similar to The Rhythm Section a few years back. There’s absolutely zero buzz for this thing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I know a lot of the talk is about this week, but just looking ahead at next month, I wouldn’t be surprised if The 355 opens similar to The Rhythm Section a few years back. There’s absolutely zero buzz for this thing.

It's been obvious it was a dud whenever they originally decided a movie with that good of a cast wasn't deserving of anything better than a dumpy January spot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I feel like I've gotten a trailer for that about 10 times within the past three months. I would love to meet the man who decided to make a moody remix of a Rihanna song for the trailer and ask them what gave you the idea to do something so stupid.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Posting mostly to stir the pot, but beyond the beloved reception to the first one and the big audience it had on Netflix, and NWH, we really might be underestimating Spider-Verse 2.

I'm gonna put it on my 2022 resolutions list - DO NO UNDERESTIMATE SONY(supers)VERSE.

Sony won the 2020 DOM top title, Sony won the 2021 DOM top title - both by landslides, but the 2nd was more earned...seems like they could potentially pull a 3-peat with the right material releasing next year - and Spidey-verse could be it, b/c Spidey's on a roll:)...

• Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'd be surprised if anything besides Scream and Morbius made more than $10m total next month tbh

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm gonna put it on my 2022 resolutions list - DO NO UNDERESTIMATE SONY(supers)VERSE.

Sony won the 2020 DOM top title, Sony won the 2021 DOM top title - both by landslides, but the 2nd was more earned...seems like they could potentially pull a 3-peat with the right material releasing next year - and Spidey-verse could be it, b/c Spidey's on a roll:)...

Eh...would love to see it as the first film is a 10/10 for me, but we did have a trailer for Across the Spider-Verse and it did not do anything crazy. I am pretty sure people were confusing it with NWH in that Fandango poll.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean, it's not that crazy. It'll be over $30M by the end of this weekend (with a nice boost after it looked like all was lost a week ago) and will have two months of Oscar buzz that'll keep it afloat. The fact there's so little coming out throughout January and February means December movies won't be leaving as quickly as they normally would. But yeah, $70M is probably only happening if it becomes the undeniable Best Picture frontrunner.

I'd take $40-45m at this point. Still, WSS is holding well now, it's just that opening weekend was so low. Relative to all the other "awards bait" titles, it will have the best box office next to House of Gucci (BTW, did y'all know that "House of Versace" was a 2013 Lifetime movie starring Gina Gershon as Donatella? It's on YouTube for free right now, at least in the US). WSS will lose some theaters soon but its not doing so badly that its count will plummet in the next weekend or two.

16 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Meh. It doesn’t matter if it’s 3 GVKs. GVK over performing the manner it did within the context of its release is undeniably Impressive. It was basically the movie that re-opened theatrical floodgates. And it came off a weakly reviewed previous Godzilla movie. I still don’t think people here fully realize that 100million dollars worth of Americans went to see the theater when the virus was still peaking and there were still no vaccines and theaters were not operating at 100% capacity. All with the simultaneous streaming release 

I hate the movie, so I’m not arguing quality. 

Part of this might be that GvK performed exactly in line with my expectations from like, February. I was tracking covid recovery quite closely and it was apparent that the end March market was going to be stronger than people expected.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

They are on a roll and it’ll pull good numbers, but yeeeeaaaa it could also easily be 10th DOM on this list of 10. I would be shocked if it finished higher than 8th in that list.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Eh...would love to see it as the first film is a 10/10 for me, but we did have a trailer for Across the Spider-Verse and it did not do anything crazy. I am pretty sure people were confusing it with NWH in that Fandango poll.

Well, I'm not 100% serious (b/c I'd probably pick a different supers movie winning the year), but this was the actual demo breakdown of the audience for the full opening weekend for Into the Spidey-verse - tell me, this doesn't fall into the currently 100% recovered theatrical audience (vs the ones still staying home)...as the saying goes, demography can be destiny...from Deadline...

"As we mentioned previously, exit demos for Spider-Verse were 67% non-families, with men 25+ repping 41% of moviegoers, followed by men under 25 at 26%. Both enjoyed the movie, with men under 25 giving it 96% and men over 25 a 91% positive score. Boys under 12 outnumbered girls 70% to 30% in turnout. Diversity demos were 43% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 15% Asian."

https://deadline.com/2018/12/spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-mortal-engines-clint-eastwood-the-mule-weekend-box-office-1202520137/

Edited by TwoMisfits

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, I'm not 100% serious (b/c I'd probably pick a different supers movie winning the year), but this was the actual demo breakdown of the audience for the full opening weekend for Into the Spidey-verse - tell me, this doesn't fall into the currently100% recovered theatrical audience (vs the ones still staying home)...as the saying goes, demography can be destiny...from Deadline...

"As we mentioned previously, exit demos for Spider-Verse were 67% non-families, with men 25+ repping 41% of moviegoers, followed by men under 25 at 26%. Both enjoyed the movie, with men under 25 giving it 96% and men over 25 a 91% positive score. Boys under 12 outnumbered girls 70% to 30% in turnout. Diversity demos were 43% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 15% Asian."

https://deadline.com/2018/12/spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-mortal-engines-clint-eastwood-the-mule-weekend-box-office-1202520137/

But those demo stats are from a low base. Too low to get anywhere near #1 in a year as stacked as 2022 without a massive, massive sequel surge, which the just good performance of the trailer doesn't indicate.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

The 2022 DOM race has like 3 movies taking a crack a 600+, Spiderverse won’t be 50% of the champion even if it does gangbusters.

Avatar 2, BP2 and what else are you thinking could do 600+?

14 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Avatar 2, BP2 and what else are you thinking could do 600+?

Jurassic world will perform closer to JW1 adjusted (like mid 700s) than JW2 adjusted (mid 400s) imo. Call it 750, 450, geomean’d be… 581M

Edited by Product Driven Legion
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1