Eric Loves Rey

Weekday Numbers (12/27-30) | Asgard 2 says 20.5 Thursday for NWH | Derby is Back!

10 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

What expected number today?

Based on yesterday, I’d say at least 22.5 but potentially more. It’s dependent on how widespread “Discount Tuesday” is today. Today will probably outsell yesterday in terms of actual tickets.

1 minute ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Jurassic world will perform closer to JW1 adjusted (like mid 700s) than JW2 adjusted (mid 400s) imo. Call it 750, 450, geomean’d be… 581M

Oh wow yea I definitely don’t think that. I expect it to be basically flat from FK (+/- 5%).

Venom 2 should be the story of the re-opening so far.  It was long delayed, then had a set date, then moved, then moved again on short notice.  It had a really short run time and early word was that it was a complete mess.  

Then it opens to $90m+ in the midst of Delta and blows the hair back on the box office while getting over $500m with no release in China.  

On that note, a big fuck you to China and love that studios are figuring out they don't need their oppressive communist censorship bullshit to make lots of money.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Venom 2 should be the story of the re-opening so far.  It was long delayed, then had a set date, then moved, then moved again on short notice.  It had a really short run time and early word was that it was a complete mess.  

Then it opens to $90m+ in the midst of Delta and blows the hair back on the box office while getting over $500m with no release in China.  

On that note, a big fuck you to China and love that studios are figuring out they don't need their oppressive communist censorship bullshit to make lots of money.  

All that with a budget of 100/110M. Doing 5 x its budget in 2021 during a pandemic is not easy for a huge movie like that. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Oh wow yea I definitely don’t think that. I expect it to be basically flat from FK (+/- 5%).

I think he is going to be right.  The original cast back is going to kick the nostalgia factor way up, and right now that is what is selling and moves the needle.  It will do much better than FK.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

The 2022 DOM race has like 3 movies taking a crack a 600+, Spiderverse won’t be 50% of the champion even if it does gangbusters.

Well, there was an enormous argument before open that Spidey 3 couldn't do "X" b/c 1 and 2 didn't come close to "X"...Spideyverse did have huge legs and was an Oscar winner and A+ Cinescore, right?  If there's any movie that could build on its GA love by delivering another knockout movie and go sky high, this would be my bet...it is the sequel next year that is coming off the most beloved version right before...and folks won't be getting a dose of Tom Holland Spidey next year...

I mean, a lot of those 12 and under boys will be 13-16 when this comes out...right smack dab into that male 13-45 diverse demo that this movie series has already brought out in spades...

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I'd lift the middle finger to their government not the whole country 

not like they can do anything about it

But yes to the fact that Hollywood should stop pandering to their dumb censorship

So did America Underdog crater after opening day? Is its Monday good at all? I thought this was gonna be a surprise leggy hit, especially appealing to middle America (still can be I guess).

Cinemascore and audience scores really ain't shit anymore

Edited by Pinacolada

43 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I think he is going to be right.  The original cast back is going to kick the nostalgia factor way up, and right now that is what is selling and moves the needle.  It will do much better than FK.  

13 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

It has a way better premise and hook than Fallen Kingdom.

Hmm this could just be one I’m off on then. Wouldn’t be the first time. I guess we will see what happens but I feel that the idea of the franchise has played itself out at this point, and the human cast isn’t much of a draw (vs other nostalgia movies where the people involved are the biggest draw).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

So did America Underdog crater after opening day? Is its Monday good at all? I thought this was gonna be a surprise leggy hit, especially appealing to middle America (still can be I guess).

Cinemascore and audience scores really ain't shit anymore

It's pretty good - down 24% from Sunday...

42 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Hmm this could just be one I’m off on then. Wouldn’t be the first time. I guess we will see what happens but I feel that the idea of the franchise has played itself out at this point, and the human cast isn’t much of a draw (vs other nostalgia movies where the people involved are the biggest draw).

Same I feel any nostalgia of the Jurassic Park franchise coming back was maximised with Jurassic World. The human cast coming back is a good addition so I do see a slight increase but only slightly. 

If theaters somehow get away from this and I had to choose the movie responsible for it, it would be GvK. 100M+ DOM total with a day and date release. The OW numbers were so good the Summer schedule filled within a matter of days after its first Sunday. So many movies moved forward or got release dates after that. AQP2 moved the week after. Lionsgate set like 3 or 4 movies after that. Sony gave theaters a movie per month after that.

• Like 2