Eric the Fall Guy

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

5 minutes ago, El Gato said:

I don’t see Batman as a success. A disappointment definitely 

So the 919th Batman film, which is also a reboot, which is also 3 hours long, which is also more of a noir crime thriller, which has 3 action scenes and which also has to still deal with the pandemic and despite all that was a raving sucess with fans and critics and will gross 370M+ DOM and just under 800M worldwide is now a disappointment?

Damn.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol, can we at least see how the weekend goes when the weekend..... actually happens?

I mean I understand the sentiment but also I’m looking moreso at past box office performances of family films in April. A 170m-190m total is nice but given a $70m+ OW is disappointing for a family film. That’s just my opinion, pandemic or not. The hold can be unexpectedly great today and Sonic does like idk 11-12m+ but judging past performances I doubt it. I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

So the 919th Batman film, which is also a reboot, which is also 3 hours long, which is also more of a noir crime thriller, which has 3 action scenes and which also has to still deal with the pandemic and despite all that was a raving sucess with fans and critics and will gross 370M+ DOM and just under 800M worldwide is now a disappointment?

+ a war in Europe

• Like 1

I watched Morbius today. It was the best Morbius movie ever made. However, it is also one of the worst big budget studio movies I have ever seen in my life. What the hell were they thinking with this shitshow. 

Box office thoughts:

- Fucking awful but expected for FB3. Between FB2's reception, pandemic and change of habits, nobody was gonna show up to watch this. It might open under Morbius.

- Sad for Sonic. Terrible drop incoming. 200M dead. Overall the state of theaters really showed its weakness in the last 4 weeks. I am not sure about the future.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I watched Morbius today. It was the best Morbius movie ever made. However, it is also one of the worst big budget studio movies I have ever seen in my life. What the hell were they thinking with this shitshow. 

Applause The Rock GIF - Applause The Rock Clapping - Discover & Share GIFs

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I miss the days when Deadline would provide us midday updates at around lunchtime PST.

Deadline Anthony needs more time to figure out how to rationalise FB3’s low opening without upsetting his delusion that the current health of the box office is “totally fine”, “back to normal”, “exceeding pre-pandemic levels”, “ROARING TWENTIES” etc.

• Like 1

I’m a little thrown by the disappointment at SONIC 2. The first was already a really high profile video game movie - the room to grow was always limited.

Before this month the highest-grossing video game sequel was TOMB RAIDER: THE CRADLE OF LIFE  which made half as much as its predecessor. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

Deadline Anthony needs more time to figure out how to rationalise FB3’s low opening without upsetting his delusion that the current health of the box office is “totally fine”, “back to normal”, “exceeding pre-pandemic levels”, “ROARING TWENTIES” etc.

The roaring twenties fucking lmao. Anthony needs a chill pill.

6 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I’m a little thrown by the disappointment at SONIC 2. The first was already a really high profile video game movie - the room to grow was always limited.

Before this month the highest-grossing video game sequel was TOMB RAIDER: THE CRADLE OF LIFE  which made half as much as its predecessor. 

Sonic had its legs clipped by COVID-19, without the pandemic it’s total would be around where Sonic 2 ends. The thing is this skewed more towards families than the first one did, that’s more so the befuddling part of the legs.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The roaring twenties fucking lmao. Anthony needs a chill pill.

We should’ve paid closer attention to his delusion when he said Encanto did poorly because “it looked too much like Coco” and ignored the fact that families hadn’t returned to the cinema.

He must have AMC stock.

• Haha 3

Can we also talk about Sonic 2’s release date?

Sing 2 had over 3 months of the family market literally all to its self.

It got to take advantage of MLK, Valentine’s Day, President’s Day, and March’s Spring Break dailies all to its self.

The theater count Sing 2 benefited simply due to lack of content was ridiculous…

Missed opportunity I think that Paramount didn’t release in February or March.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JjFit said:

Can we also talk about Sonic 2’s release date?

Sing 2 had over 3 months of the family market literally all to its self.

It got to take advantage of MLK, Valentine’s Day, President’s Day, and March’s Spring Break dailies all to its self.

The theater count Sing 2 benefited simply due to lack of content was ridiculous…

Missed opportunity I think that Paramount didn’t release in February or March.

I think if it and The Lost City swapped dates, both would have stronger legs and might’ve reached their anticipated milestones of 200m and 100m respectively. 

However tentpole stacking moreso, especially with shorter theatrical windows is a massive problem. Films need breathing room to thrive, which is kind of why a lot of things Q1 while gross was depressed, legs were great.

• Like 1

I'm still glad Lucas sold to Disney.

You got the biggest movie in North America, The Force Awakens. I actually like Solo and Rogue One. And The Mandalorian is a huge hit. Honestly the only thing Disney did wrong was fumble TLJ and TROS.

Then again Lucas made his own mistakes also.

Edited by grey ghost