EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/20/22 - JWD $8.5m, TGM $8.0m, LY $6.8m

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

TGM is getting IMAX back. I call flop if it doesn’t get a 35m weekend with this premium boost.

Just telling it how it is!

Here in Canada, not only is it playing on some IMAX screens this weekend, it’s also getting other PLFs back too. 

if attendance dips, say 30% from last weekend, I would say the increase in ATP will probably offset 10-15% of that. We could be seeing yet another great hold heading into next weekend.

Also, Canada Day is July 1st, a federal holiday that almost everyone is off for. In the US, the holiday Monday will make Sunday another Saturday. Should see some spectacular numbers next weekend too, especially if it can hold onto nighttime PLF shows. 

Then it still has the rest of summer to play. 
exciting!!

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 2

The Black Phone is brilliant, hope it does well. As of Avatar 2 and BP2, it's silly to predict tallies really. You can predict OW, that's fine, but both of them films will rely heavily on WoM to come close to their predecessors, so it's just difficult to foresee at this moment in time with BP not even having a teaser out. It's safe to say that neither is touching TGM in the calendar year, Avatar 2 might gross more as it has really zero competition throughout its run.

There's a potential for 7 900m films this year WW which is amazing! More likely 6, but there's a tiny chance for 7 (DS2 and TGM already there, JWD and Thor will possibly get there, BP2 and Avatar 2 are a locks).  Black Adam, Minions - longshot. 

Just now, Torontofan said:

I think its near locked avatar will win worldwide 2022

If that does not happen I be shocked. 

Avatar definitely isn’t one to write off, in terms of potential gross it might have the most of any film this year, but there are a lot of factors that will be at play. Namely; quality and just how the original has endured in the eyes of the GA. 3D is basically a niche market at this point, so I’m also interested to see if Avatar 2 is enough to bring people back to the format.

6 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

JWD need to quickly narrow its week-to-week drop in Wednesday and Thursday, if not the movie will have another round of >50% drop given that JWD is unlikely to repeat that 83%+ Thursday-Fri bump last week. 

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The Black Phone is brilliant, hope it does well. As of Avatar 2 and BP2, it's silly to predict tallies really. You can predict OW, that's fine, but both of them films will rely heavily on WoM to come close to their predecessors, so it's just difficult to foresee at this moment in time with BP not even having a teaser out. It's safe to say that neither is touching TGM in the calendar year, Avatar 2 might gross more as it has really zero competition throughout its run.

There's a potential for 7 900m films this year WW which is amazing! More likely 6, but there's a tiny chance for 7 (DS2 and TGM already there, JWD and Thor will possibly get there, BP2 and Avatar 2 are a locks).  Black Adam, Minions - longshot. 

JWD hasn’t even released in Japan yet (JWFK made 72 million in Japan) and it’s already at 650 million or so as of today. 
I would say 900 million is very likely at this point.

Edited by VanillaSkies

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

JWD need to quickly narrow its week-to-week drop in Wednesday and Thursday, if not the movie will have another round of >50% drop given that JWD is unlikely to repeat that 83%+ Thursday-Fri bump last week. 

must point out the last JW had 4th of July in Its second week so we can’t compare them directly 

Both IMAX near me (one AMC, one Regal) are both doing the same thing this weekend.

jWD gets the first and third showtime, Lightyear gets the second and TGM gets the late show.

Maverick is also going back into the 4DX nearby.

and as for the Dolby at Disney Springs, it’s an even split between Lightyear and Elvis, Lightyear gets the early shows, Elvis the evening shows.

29 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Crazy thing about this weekend is you could tell me on Sunday we’ll have a five way tie at $30 million a piece, I would believe you.

The Black Phone isn't going to do 30M opening.