Eric Duncan

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

6 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Cars 2 was my first guess and indeed it's 49% so I'd suggest you weren't 'struggling' very hard.

You've missed the word "Verified". Right now Strange World has the worst Verified score for an animated movie.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Cars 2 was my first guess and indeed it's 49% so I'd suggest you weren't 'struggling' very hard.

Cards 2 was your first guess and indeed… it’s not a verified audience score, so it doesn’t count! Maybe they were struggling after all, eh?

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Cards 2 was your first guess and indeed… it’s not a verified audience score, so it doesn’t count! Maybe they were struggling after all, eh?

If you're limiting yourself to a couple of years' worth of movies then the point being made isn't a particularly strong one, surely.

My premise is quite simply that the quality of Strange World (which I haven't seen) is rather irrelevant. The marketing is what has killed it.

Cars 2 by contrast went through a fire of publicity, launch and manufactured goodwill and still despite every clamour going its way managed to rightly be perceived as total horse manure.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

9 hours ago, John Marston said:

Fablemans doesn’t look to be doing that well. Likely to flop with a 40m budget 

It comes across as a pure "eat your greens" film. US critics will label it an insurmountable masterpiece and it will be nominated for all the Oscars they can get away with it being. But it likely had little chance with the general audience, and it will do absolutely nothing internationally where critics won't have kid gloves either.

1 minute ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

If you're limiting yourself to a couple of years' worth of movies then the point being made isn't a particularly strong one, surely.

The Verified Score has proved its reliability time and time again and tends to line up well with Cinemascores. We've already ran down the significance of the B Cinemascore. The verified score still may be a new system but a score in the 50's or 60's is still shockingly low not only for an animated film but for most big budget PG/PG13 blockbusters from a major studio (even Morbius is in the 70's).

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It comes across as a pure "eat your greens" film. US critics will label it an insurmountable masterpiece and it will be nominated for all the Oscars they can get away with it being. But it likely had little chance with the general audience, and it will do absolutely nothing internationally where critics won't have kid gloves either.

Okay.

• Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It really is just fine. Fist of all, it comes across as a bit of a love letter to himself. Kind of off-putting. 

Second, Spielberg is too deep ensconced in the Hollywood popcorn machine to be able to pull off a subtle portrait of a mother quietly suffering on the inside. There is a scene where Michelle Williams dances that couldn't be more on the nose. I'm actually surprised because Spielberg seems to watch cinema from all over the world (I remember when he raved about Blue is the Warmest Color) so I'm disappointed he wasn't able to move past squarely middle of the road obvious American filmmaking where people say things like "follow what your heart tells you!!!" 

6 minutes ago, Eric Clade said:

Okay.

He may have a point. The image of the boy harnessing the AWESOME AND LIFE CHANGING POWER OF CINEMA within the palm of his hands always makes me cringe

8Z36_D040_00074_D040_00075COMP.6.jpg

It feels like something out of that Nicole Kidman Odeon ad.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

He may have a point. The image of the boy harnessing the AWESOME AND LIFE CHANGING POWER OF CINEMA within the palm of his hands always makes me cringe

8Z36_D040_00074_D040_00075COMP.6.jpg

It feels like something out of that Nicole Kidman Odeon ad.

wait isn't this an amc ad? 

Off a $17.5M Black Friday for BPWF:

$45-$46M 3-day (-31-32%), $63-$64M 5-day, and a total of ~$367M by Sunday

With a softer bump than usual over the holiday period, probably heading for a (Age of Ulton range) $450-$460M finish ... right around - if not above - where expectations should have been set        (though for many, they were much higher).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

Off a $17.5M Black Friday for BPWF:

$45-$46M 3-day (-31-32%), $63-$64M 5-day, and a total of ~$367M by Sunday

With a softer bump than usual over the holiday period, probably heading for a (Age of Ulton range) $450-$460M finish ... right around - if not above - where expectations should have been set        (though for many, they were much higher).

Feel like typical marvel performance here would be -2 -45 for 44M, which I suspect can take it to 470s with xmas period and very light competition 

• Like 1