Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

4 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

Are you  aware of the demographics of this country? To pretend that A2 is playing extremely white based on these nums is mind bogglingly comical.

I had no idea that there were only around 12%, no. That’s absurd. I imagined it was more like here, where whites are the minority if you compare with mixed race + blacks. With that said. it’s clearly less white skewed than Maverick which was outrageously white at the opening weekend:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/top-gun-maverick-box-office-1235034420/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Top Gun: Maverick

Refused to be part of the 20% because this movie was too white

Spoiler

I was on a road trip, otherwise you bet your ass I would have been there Thursday night, IMAX, 2 hours early in a flightsuit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Problem is, when you get the to the level of having to adjust OW to cross a threshold, you're also reaching back into time when legs were just far better in general, and so not reflective of the current market. (Which is why I went down to $100M and not stopping at like $120/$130, and included Hobbit, as I'm guessing it would adjust to a similar $ value as Avatwo's expected OW)

Yeah there is definitely something to the fact that adjusting reaches you back farther into time when trends were different, so to use meaningless nums (nominal) instead of meaningful ones (real) kind of proxies as a way to downweight older data in a way that’s actually desirable.  

It’s kind of crude as a mechanism for doing so though, I have an aesthetic preference for taking adjusted cutoff and dealing with old movie skew explicitly. Which takes more time and I haven’t done yet(/ever) 😛 

• Like 1

Just now, ringedmortality said:

As someone that’s only been here for a very short time, seeing this much activity is surreal. I’m used to coming in every couple of hours and seeing like five more posts instead of ten more pages.

This is more like how it was in the old days honestly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

It’s his shtick. If you are here long enough (welcome, we have cookies) you will find we all have shticks.

Some, alas, have shticks that frequently get them thread banned. 

Mine is Steve Rogers is my perfect precious boy and I am gonna use up all my good will when we finally get to The Marvels and start I screaming SEXISM/INTERNALIZED MISOGYNY at anyone that dares speak ill of Carol, Kamala, and Monica. 

That sounds like a pretty good shitck!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

As someone that’s only been here for a very short time, seeing this much activity is surreal. I’m used to coming in every couple of hours and seeing like five more posts instead of ten more pages.

This is the way it used to be before the pandemic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

This is like the old days and it feels good. If the thread keeps going like this, I may stop taking my anti-depressants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I had no idea that there were only around 12%, no. That’s absurd. I imagined it was more like here, where whites are the minority if you compare with mixed race + blacks. 

Oh I was just being rhetorical but you actually had no idea. Suddenly this all makes more sense.

Yeah TGM is an example of an actually quite white skewing movie. ATWOW is playing pretty diverse (though not as much as like BP or even a f&f movie say).

4 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I had no idea that there were only around 12%, no.

feel like if you're gonna make big claims about how good your prediction was on what the demos would be you should probably actually know what the demos are

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Korra Legion said:

Oh I was just being rhetorical but you actually had no idea. Suddenly this all makes more sense.

Yeah TGM is an example of an actually quite white skewing movie. ATWOW is playing pretty diverse (though not as much as like BP or even a f&f movie say).

TGM white-skewing. A2 diversity seems normalish for big blockbuster (similar to what I recall for NWH at least)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Refused to be part of the 20% because this movie was too white

Hide contents

I was on a road trip, otherwise you bet your ass I would have been there Thursday night, IMAX, 2 hours early in a flightsuit.

With Maverick it’s not even the whiteness, I’m ok with whiteness. My retirement of Cruise flicks started when he started jumping up and down at Oprah’s couch and I learned about the cult non sense. I guess in twenty years I’ve watched: War of the Worlds, Live Die Repeat and Tropic Thunder. 

Just now, Alligator Zatt said:

With Maverick it’s not even the whiteness, I’m ok with whiteness. My retirement of Cruise flicks started when he started jumping up and down at Oprah’s couch and I learned about the cult non sense. I guess in twenty years I’ve watched: War of the Worlds, Live Die Repeat and Tropic Thunder. 

yeah i just like watching planes go boom

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Man, you missed the good old days. COVID pretty much ruined box office tracking. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

TGM white-skewing. A2 diversity seems normalish for big blockbuster (similar to what I recall for NWH at least)

Right, blockbusters are normally fairly diverse because they play younger and more urban than overall country. This doesn’t looks notably diverse or notably undiverse considering that backdrop.

• Like 2

Just now, Korra Legion said:

Right, blockbusters are normally fairly diverse because they play younger and more urban than overall country. This doesn’t looks notably diverse or notably undiverse considering that backdrop.

But have you considered my preconceived notions

• Like 2