Eric Prime

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

17 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

I agree it is clear positive and not mixed (let alone “mixed”) but these 3 aren’t that close? SC>A2=BPWF>NTTD 

Think SC is a bit of a weird case in that reception in the US is much better than outside though, iirc asia kinda hated it didn't they? Not sure about BPWF, all I remember was bad in korea.

• Like 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

Think SC is a bit of a weird case in that reception in the US is much better than outside though, iirc asia kinda hated it didn't they? Not sure about BPWF, all I remember was bad in korea.

Post was about US reception I would assume. Otherwise WF would be below A2 considering it had less consistent reception across markets. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

You don't really need to add marketing to calculate break even point. Usually, as I've seen from the yearly Deadline's Profit Tournament, extra costs are often covered by post-theatrical revenues. So, it's mostly just what goes back to the studios minus production budget and that's it. 

So taking the middle ground of your estimate, $6B (assuming 30/70 split) translates to about $2.5B coming back to the studios, minus $1B of production cost, netting a total profit of $1.5B.

I thought the studio take from worldwide numbers were more like 45/55?.

Anyway even using your 30/70 split, its still a healthy profit.

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

Well, does Simon Pegg also get the girls going?

Screenshot-2022-12-20-at-13-53-57.png

I said i gave you the easy answer!

I would also check that tag for Alternate Universes and Crossovers. A Zombie AU Based off Hot Fuzz feels like definitely A Thing that would’ve happened in the late aughts. 

it also has a blank if you miss a cameo featuring Barton Freeman. So you have no idea how much of that tag is somehow related to the Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock.  Those girls were CRAZY and LOVED their crossovers/AUs

never mind that. I read that as Shaun Of The Dead 😆😆

Hot fuzz is also a fun movie, and Nick Frost/Simon Pegg probably provided a bunch of slash fic prompts 

• Like 1

pretty interesting that its been almost a week and I still cant get a read on reception, conflicting signs pointing to  both amazing reception and merely good one

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

16 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

not sure whats the point of focusing on a single random point in a single interview to assume big things about the movies development, pretty clear he said it with a big grin on his face, and Cameron movies are famous for repeat viewings, and with TGM as a recent example, dont really think its a particularly noteworthy comment

But TGM was a major exception in current market with theatrical repeat viewings, especially with the GA and not just film fans. That’s what I mean about losing touch, in that even if said half-jokingly, there’s an underlying assumption that what you’ve got is not only good enough to get people to pay to watch once, but multiple times.

1 hour ago, Eastwood47 said:

I think history will look back on this film and ask the question why it's director/creator chose to make so much press over a dollar amount the film needed to break even. 

Did they tho? Did Cameron? Or was it a single answer in an interview that didnt even include numbers (and was actualy him quoting what what he told the studio execs before it getting greenlit) that was then reproduced in a thousand clickbait articles about it needing 2 billion. Cameron absolutely didnt chose to make much press over the amount of money this needs to break even or how it costs 500 million or whatever. This perspective is very skewed 

Edited by Gkalaitza
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

Did they tho? Did Cameron? Or was it a single answer in an interview that didnt even include numbers (and was actualy him quoting what what he told the studio execs before it getting greenlit) that was then reproduced in a thousand clickbait articles about it needing 2 billion. Cameron absolutely didnt chose to make much press over the amount of money this needs to break even or how it costs 500 million or whatever. This perspective is very skewed 

Yep Cameron already clarified he was talking about in 2011 when the sequels were greenlit. And if A2 does hit 1.5-2bil WW, it will be well in that 'top 3 or 4 biggest fil;ms of all time' range for 2011.

Of course the clickbait articles wont update their articles with his clarification.

The movie will be fine. Lofty expectations are what they are, but it will do fine.

The question is whether he can keep selling Avatar movies on the basis of visuals. What else is there to offer visually? At some point the story will have to sell itself more than visuals. Is there a story to tell where people truly want to see what happens next? Are people tied to the characters enough to anticipate the next and the one after that and the one after that?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

The movie will be fine. Lofty expectations are what they are, but it will do fine.

The question is whether he can keep selling Avatar movies on the basis of visuals. What else is there to offer visually? At some point the story will have to sell itself more than visuals. Is there a story to tell where people truly want to see what happens next? Are people tied to the characters enough to anticipate the next and the one after that and the one after that?

The third movie will be released with Smell-O-Vision, so that entry will be fine, but I do wonder where you can go after that.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, jedijake said:

You could ask that for many blockbusters. I feel like Avatar gets singled out because the visuals are such a leap forward compared to the rest and thus such a talking point.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I think that's just about everyone expects diminishing returns from A2 to A3. That said, if it's still doing 350M+ and 1B+ WW, I'm not sure that's actually a very big deal. That's a 1B+ grosser and no way the production budget is 450M+ for A3. I bet some of that reported budget for A2 is rolled into A3 a bit and that production budget just won't be as high. Something like 350M budget rather than the 460M+ budget reported for A2.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Ngl, this has been so much fun to follow :popcorn:. Stars seemingly lined up for A2 to break out - reviews, awards nominations, spike in tracking - and then it opened well below projections (no, WC cannot be blamed for everything). Twist of the century. I hope @IronJimbo is OK. There's still A3-5. 

It's pretty rough how good things were looking 10 days ago compared to now ngl. Still this is gonna fill out PLF's til the end of jan and people are still underestimating it and it's still on track to become the highest grossing post-covid movie of all time.

• Like 1

Are people really trying to say that A2's *bad* script is the reason it opened well below expectations? Was it the script that made the spike in presales to not happen as well? The lackluster preview walkups? The dissapointing Friday number? It doesn't really seem reasonable to me. It's much likelier that everyone just overestimated the general interest in the movie which caused too high predictions, which again tracks back to the first Avatar film. The likely outcome is that people who liked the first Avatar film will like this one, people who liked the visual but disliked the story will again like the visuals and dislike the story whereas the people who disliked the first will obviously dislike this as well. 

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

You could ask that for many blockbusters. I feel like Avatar gets singled out because the visuals are such a leap forward compared to the rest and thus such a talking point.

Jurassic franchise actually gave a hook to audience not just Dinosaur but different plots for dinosaur it's different thing that they were not well made but still.

Avatar is just relying on visuals , even for part 2 hook was underwater visuals

if I have to guess for Part 3 , the hook will flying visuals or something , when they meet the air tribe ??