Noctis

The Last Of Us - universal acclaim!

I'm assuming they're going for some post-apocalyptic Karen vibe. Can take or leave her but I see the logic in swapping faceless raiders with motivated, named antagonists.

Anyway, ok episode. I've tempered my expecations for this show massively and have accepted it won't hit me as hard as the game.

Said it before: it's striking how different Joel is. Notice how he reacts to Ellie saving him versus the game version. Feels like it's leaving very little room for their relationship to evolve if they're already at the joking and laughing stage.

Edited by Hatebox

9 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Anyone else notice the theater they drove by had Matchstick Men and Underworld playing when the world went to shit?  Nice little detail I appreciated, I saw both of those at the theater in 2003!

I don't usually quit a show once I've started and this show isn't nearly bad enough for me to think about doing that.  So far imo there have been 2 good episodes(1 & 2) and 2 middling ones(3 being filler and 4 just meh) and things really look like they're gonna get back on track with episode 5 if the preview is anything to go by. 

I suppose it felt more like you were not liking it much at all from your previous comments.

I did find the Matchstick Men and Underworld thing to be amusing (and lined up with my rough memory of what was out in September of 2003)

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I'm assuming they're going for some post-apocalyptic Karen vibe. Can take or leave her but I see the logic in swapping faceless raiders with motivated, named antagonists.

Anyway, ok episode. I've tempered my expecations for this show massively and have accepted it won't hit me as hard as the game.

Said it before: it's striking how different Joel is. Notice how he reacts to Ellie saving him versus the game version. Feels like it's leaving very little room for their relationship to evolve if they're already at the joking and laughing stage.

Tbh I don't find him that much different. It's just loosening up quicker because of the compressed nature of the show. But by this section of the game, he's given her the rifle and has started to ease up anyway. But it's not like you can fit in all those small moments as you're just scrounging around for supplies where Joel is giving context to the world to Ellie and you can sort of more slowly see that transition. And since there's no section where Ellie is using the rifle here, this is sort of the substitute of the loosening up, not to mention it changes the dynamic of the game version when Ellie saves him, since there is no future situation to force Joel to give Ellie the gun, it's this specific experience that is the complete trigger for it.

In general I think this was the weakest episode so far, which I think a lot comes down to this part of the game being a very meat and potatoes section. It's a lot of gameplay focused segments which obviously doesn't adapt well to screen but there's places they gotta get through to set up where most of the story happens in Pittsburgh (now KC).

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Yeah, from the first moment on it screamed they were going for unassuming soft voice nice lady being actually ruthless militia commander or sth. I'm fairly neutral on her so far. Lynskey is a good actrees, maybe she 'll pull it off next episode. 

As for the ep. I think I'm in the minority that likes this and episode 2 the most so far, which are the two that kinda adapt gameplay instead of the story and that's have been the most interesting thing so far for me. I hope someone finds a bottle of aspirine in a deserted bathroom in a future episode.

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Yeah, from the first moment on it screamed they were going for unassuming soft voice nice lady being actually ruthless militia commander or sth. I'm fairly neutral on her so far. Lynskey is a good actrees, maybe she 'll pull it off next episode. 

As for the ep. I think I'm in the minority that likes this and episode 2 the most so far, which are the two that kinda adapt gameplay instead of the story and that's have been the most interesting thing so far for me. I hope someone finds a bottle of aspirine in a deserted bathroom in a future episode.

yeah where is the scenes of joel picking up scraps of fabric, empty medicine bottles, and half broken scisors and crafting on a table 

XD 

Wow. 

Fantastic episode - another one that continues to further the journey of Joel and Ellie, while introducing us to new characters that we quickly invest in. Meanwhile, the lore expands and the production quality remains top notch. This show is just a terrific balance of heart and humanity with horror and world building.

The biggest thing for me is that the show keeps on surprising me. It’s a joy to watch.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4

Another great episode. I think it's my favorite up there with ep 3.

I kind of see why they went with Kathleen now, basically a twist on the trope of has to be strong woman leading a bunch of people. It's jarring and interesting instead to see an average person carry out leadership tasks. She basically became in charge because of her brother and she accepts it with a self awareness that she'll do what needs to be done. But does feel like the Kansas City plot was a little undercooked. 

Sam and Henry's actors were fantastic. 

Spoiler

The infected coming out of the ground then the bloater was an incredible and terrifying scene in how zombies can actually be a threat without being in every single scene. It makes it worthwhile.

Though I'll admit the slow motion with Kathleen's right hand man before the Bloater came up was jarring compared with the rest of the scene. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Another great episode. I think it's my favorite up there with ep 3.

I kind of see why they went with Kathleen now, basically a twist on the trope of has to be strong woman leading a bunch of people. It's jarring and interesting instead to see an average person carry out leadership tasks. She basically became in charge because of her brother and she accepts it with a self awareness that she'll do what needs to be done. But does feel like the Kansas City plot was a little undercooked. 

Sam and Henry's actors were fantastic. 

Reveal hidden contents

My thought with the casting of a decently known actress as Kathleen and

Spoiler

how they re-arranged things to the search for Joel/Ellie/Henry/Sam caused loads of infected to break out and swarm the previously safe Kansas City area was going to be that it was gonna cause KC to fall completely and then Kathleen and a small group of survivors would pursue Joel and Ellie, leading into the game's events in Colorado

But that thought evaporated after a minute based on how the show went

On 2/7/2023 at 10:36 AM, Hatebox said:

I went and rewatched a few scenes and I don't really think it is so different - in fact with Henry they are exchanging stories and it's pretty good vibes (which wasn't even there in the show instead), Joel definitely had started to mellow out by now.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

Up there with episode 3. The show is really starting to capture that same magic as the game now. I liked the first two episodes but it basically felt like they were "doing the game" on TV. It's still a faithful adaptation but becoming it's own distinct thing by doing things and telling the story in ways that aren't really possible in the game and I love that. There was so much cool shit in this episode

Spoiler

I knew the Henry and Sam storyline was going to break my heart and it did, even more than I was expecting, well done. Both actors were incredible. Sam was so young and sweet here :( The burial scene made it even more brutal, knowing on top of witnessing their deaths Ellie also has to help bury them.

Agreed that Kathleen made more sense as a leader here. She was basically thrown into the position due to who her brother was, and her bitchy Karen-ness turned out pretty useful for an angry revolutionary militia. Also great that it ended up getting them all killed and their city overrun with zombies

The infected scene was a great action setpiece. Like others I've noticed the show has kinda been shying away from the violence and brutality of the games (possibly to appeal to a wider audience), like the opening scene where they're overthrowing FEDRA and killing them, it's all very quick cut and you can't really see anything. I like the violence in the games though (SO SUE ME) so it's nice to get some of that.

If HBO wants to milk this thing, the Ish storyline that was very briefly hinted at here would make a GREAT miniseries. LISTEN TO ME HBO I know what I'm talking about, fans have been dying to see that adapted for ages.

Only thing missing from the episode was this guy

Sams Robot Figure the Last of Us 1 & 2 - Etsy Israel

Edited by MOVIEGUY

Spoiler

Minor complaint, Sam's justification for giving up Kathleen's brother felt a little contrived. So Sam had leukemia and is just fine now, not displaying any symptoms? Also from the timeline explained in the episode that would to have happened pretty recently. Just didn't seem that believable.

1 hour ago, MOVIEGUY said:
  Hide contents

Minor complaint, Sam's justification for giving up Kathleen's brother felt a little contrived. So Sam had leukemia and is just fine now, not displaying any symptoms? Also from the timeline explained in the episode that would to have happened pretty recently. Just didn't seem that believable.

I think it's the case of unreliable narrator. We see it through Henry's eyes so since he wants to believe that Sam is fine now he appears fine to us. Similar to how Ruth Negga in Passing doesn't pass for white because we see her through Tessa Thompson's eyes. I think that the bite at the end was both literal thing and metaphorical one (he was always a goner just his brother wouldn't admit it). Excellent, sad episode, with terrific performances.

definitely kind of rolling my eyes at how we need to give everyone a sympathetic backstory

we already seem to be on the "you're not my daughter and I'm not your dad" part and the connection between the two just isn't as strong as it is in the game but I guess that's is just something that happens in the change from game to series

seems quite a bit left for the amount of episodes they have. Next episode is Wyoming, the one after that is Left Behind, then all the David stuff in one episode I assume, then the climax