Eric Prime

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Can I know just what is special about VN that Universal keep it in theater for 19 weeks? they even add a theater to its run this weekend. 

- (-) Violent Night Universal $1,000 +257% -42% 25 $40 $50,051,835 127

Important contract bonuses kick in at 50,055,005

Other video game franchises that would make a killing at the box office *if executed properly*:

GTA: Adapt GTA IV, the story of an eastern European immigrant who fled a nation of war in seek of a new life in Liberty City, where he couldn't outrun his past. In the game, his home country is unnamed, but it could easily be Ukraine now. If I were somehow producing this, I'd give Chad Stahelski however much money he wanted to direct.

Red Dead (Redemption): Keeping with the Rockstar theme (honestly, they could afford to produce these blockbuster films in house and avoid studio meddling), who doesn't love a quality western epic?

Zelda: I don't think animated is the right way to go, this would need to be a live action fantasy epic

Kingdom Hearts: Multiverse, so hot right now(?), Disney nostalgia, so hot right always. Would resonate with domestic audiences much more than a Final Fantasy film

Half-Life: Sci-fi military action thriller with a scientist protagonist, adapt it with the care that HBO is giving The Last of Us, and you've got a hit film.

I think the smart move is do a Nintendo Cinematic Universe with a budget of 125m per animated movie. Cause most of the movies are grossing under 500m WW tbh (Except Zelda).

Build up to a Smash Bros crossover event.

But yeah hardly any video game franchise has Super Mario potential. Pretty much every kid played it since the mid-80's.

43 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Kingdom Hearts: Multiverse, so hot right now(?), Disney nostalgia, so hot right always. Would resonate with domestic audiences much more than a Final Fantasy film

No. Worked for NWS and EEAAO. Doesn't work as an ongoing, shared universe, multi-movie/show thing. 

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Other video game franchises that would make a killing at the box office *if executed properly*:

GTA: Adapt GTA IV, the story of an eastern European immigrant who fled a nation of war in seek of a new life in Liberty City, where he couldn't outrun his past. In the game, his home country is unnamed, but it could easily be Ukraine now. If I were somehow producing this, I'd give Chad Stahelski however much money he wanted to direct.

Red Dead (Redemption): Keeping with the Rockstar theme (honestly, they could afford to produce these blockbuster films in house and avoid studio meddling), who doesn't love a quality western epic?

Zelda: I don't think animated is the right way to go, this would need to be a live action fantasy epic

Half-Life: Sci-fi military action thriller with a scientist protagonist, adapt it with the care that HBO is giving The Last of Us, and you've got a hit film.

If the Last of Us was made into a movie instead of the series - with the same cast.. Would have done well.

But now that.a series is out, novelty factor is gone.

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Bold idea to make a movie starring a protagonist who never says a single line

Also the time for a Half-Life adaptation, if there ever was one, was 15+ years ago

Edited by 4815162342

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, Minions...

You really comparing small yellow childish creatures with an adult male human scientist

One can get away with speaking gibberish, the other cannot

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

No. Worked for NWS and EEAAO. Doesn't work as an ongoing, shared universe, multi-movie/show thing. 

Worked for spiderverse too, arguably the only misfires are when you hire a R&M writer 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I’m sure the Rockstar games would do well but their stories are so sprawling you’d have to cut a lot out.

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Bold idea to make a movie starring a protagonist who never says a single line

Also the time for a Half-Life adaptation, if there ever was one, was 15+ years ago

They would have to make him talk, like they did with Isaac in the Dead Space Remake.

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I think the smart move is do a Nintendo Cinematic Universe with a budget of 125m per animated movie. Cause most of the movies are grossing under 500m WW tbh (Except Zelda).

Build up to a Smash Bros crossover event.

But yeah hardly any video game franchise has Super Mario potential. Pretty much every kid played it since the mid-80's.

Can we please stop suggesting cinematic universes on every single franchise? If you wanna do Smash Bros., just do a one-off crossover with multiverse shit and be done with it. Cinematic universes have gotten old so quickly.

Also, Zelda, Metroid and a few others should be live-action.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Can we please stop suggesting cinematic universes on every single franchise? If you wanna do Smash Bros., just do a one-off crossover with multiverse shit and be done with it. Cinematic universes have gotten old so quickly.

Also, Zelda, Metroid and a few others should be live-action.

Well doing a crossover event maximizes how many Nintendo characters get adapted.

It also maximizes how much the studio makes from the world/universe.

But if the fans don't want cross overs then that's fine. I don't even play Smash Bros. *shrugs*

1 hour ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Worked for spiderverse too, arguably the only misfires are when you hire a R&M writer 😂

Point being, it isn't that multiverse is popular like people demand it, just that some properties do it right. Disney hasn't been one of them (NWH and Spiderverse are Sony). 

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Any predictions for Sunday?

Typically, the earlier Easter falls on the calendar, the better the Sun holds across the board (presumably because more schools have off the Monday after). But this will only be second time since 2016 that Easter is before 4/16 (and not in midst of pandemic) 

Ready Player One might be a decent comp, at +4% Sat, -29% Sun, -53% Mon, so maybe -35% Sun with potential to go even higher 

Edited by M37
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

They would have to make him talk, like they did with Isaac in the Dead Space Remake.

Sure but do you trust a movie studio to do a good job of making Gordon Freeman with a personality?

It'd end up as a wisecracking Chris Pratt or Ryan Reynolds type which would be awful

• Like 1