kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

6 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Where did ATSV fall short overseas if it only made $88 mill and did fairly well in China?

Dunno that it’s really fallen short, at least compared to the first film. Per deadline:

The international box office debut was $88.1M, ahead of early projections and 2.8x Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse in like-for-likes, excluding China. 

First movie did $62 million in China so it seems like the second should do something close to that. As has been noted it’s still to open in Japan, Korea and a lot of the Mideast, too.

Off topic kinda, but Spider-Man: Across the Spider Verse for some reason attracts a lot of people with blue ticks on twitter (?) so the replies are good for mass blocking lol.

But yeh, that overseas start seems underwhelming compared to the US. Similar to last weekend, except a quarter of the gross is from China. 

Edited by Krissykins

33 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Why on earth did Boogeyman cost 35M+ ????

I just got out of the film and this was my first question lol. 

Even taking into account the fact it was made for streaming, the film looks like a $5-10M production.

Small cast, very few locations with most of it taking place in 1 house. The movie is so dark that you don't even see the creature other than brief flashes here and there. 

Anybody expecting this to have legs, I just don't see it. This is no "Smile."

It was very dull, boring with almost 0 scares or interesting wrinkles. I'd put on par with the "Boogeyman" film from 20 years ago. Shocked the RT is that high because I don't see it at all.

Re: TLM merchandise

I work at Target and while I don't know any specifics, our Little Mermaid toys and merch do seem to be selling a lot. The shelves dedicated to it are frequently empty, while the ones for the new Transformers, Guardians 3, even Spider-Verse are still relatively full. It does seem like the merch is a big deal, and Disney Princess has always been a hot commodity since day 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Expect it to do 400m+ OS but I think it will dissapoint Dom.

I don't see this doing 400M+ OS without very strong WOM.
The Batman had very good WOM and only did 400M, even though it had a really weak China dealing with a Covid surge at the time. Granted TB is a type of movie that tipically don't play great overseas with it's tone and lack of action, but Indiana Jones is not in the same place it was back in 2008 and critics reactions are terrible.

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Spider-Verse is showing signs of strong legs (for a CBM), not fan-driven frontload. Thursday previews are lower than Guardians 3 but overall weekend is higher. And Spider-Verse had summer weekdays previews, which hypothetically should have caused it to be more preview-loaded than Guardians, but obviously it isn't, showing strong legs. It's gonna have great legs and play throughout the Summer and the haters are going to seethe.

I mean... it's clearly going to leg out much better than your average MCU movie, but it's not going to have legs close to "traditional animations" either. I don't see this exceeding a 3.5x multi.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

I mean... it's clearly going to leg out much better than your average MCU movie, but it's not going to have legs close to "traditional animations" either. I don't see this exceeding a 3.5x multi.

3.5 is enough for 420.

family guy smoking GIF

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Re: TLM merchandise

I work at Target and while I don't know any specifics, our Little Mermaid toys and merch do seem to be selling a lot. The shelves dedicated to it are frequently empty, while the ones for the new Transformers, Guardians 3, even Spider-Verse are still relatively full. It does seem like the merch is a big deal, and Disney Princess has always been a hot commodity since day 1.

I think female oriented merchandise tends to sell better than male oriented merchandise, Disney's biggest issue before they bought Marvel and Lucasfilm was that they could easily attracts girls with Princesses and things like Hannah Montana but boys were a tougher sell apart from the likes of Cars and Pirates of the Carribbean. 

It does somewhat rubbish the idea that people hate Disney, they clearly don't if merchandise is selling like hot cakes and the parks have record attendance. 

39 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think female oriented merchandise tends to sell better than male oriented merchandise, Disney's biggest issue before they bought Marvel and Lucasfilm was that they could easily attracts girls with Princesses and things like Hannah Montana but boys were a tougher sell apart from the likes of Cars and Pirates of the Carribbean. 

It does somewhat rubbish the idea that people hate Disney, they clearly don't if merchandise is selling like hot cakes and the parks have record attendance. 

I assume Ariel Princess merch is a singing Barbie-like doll with hair and extra dress that my little sister has. This one:

Preview of new Live Action Little Mermaid doll by Shop Disney —- credit to  magicdisneydolls and the.cursed.prince on Instagram! : r/Dolls

I can tell you that girls in my family never cared for action figure-type of doll save Reylo. They always wanted dolls with hair and dresses. So I'm not surprised this one is doing really well.