Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

With Rise of the Beasts looking like a flop I wonder what the next step they will take with the TF franchise 

It's a franchise that could build real nostalgia if they gave it a 10-15 year break or so. Unfortunately studios don't do this anymore.

• Like 1

Transformers is Paramount who don't have a ton of cash cow franchises so they'll probably try again with another transformers pretty soon whether it's a reboot or a continuation. Most studios are content to keep trying with the same franchises until the numbers get truly earth shatteringly embarrassing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's a franchise that could build real nostalgia if they gave it a 10-15 year break or so. Unfortunately studios don't do this anymore.

I really disagree. 

I think an interesting comparison to the TF franchise is Twilight. The Twilight films always get a bump online whenever they jump to a new streaming service. There's been a lot of positive retrospectives, and I know people that like to sit and rewatch them.

I just never see that kind of love for the Transformers films. Apart from maybe thr first one, I don't get the sense people are lining up to watch the other 6. They're loud, annoying, and dated. Same goes for Pirates of The Carribean. One good movie, four middling sequels we can just ignore.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

I really disagree. 

I think an interesting comparison to the TF franchise is Twilight. The Twilight films always get a bump online whenever they jump to a new streaming service. There's been a lot of positive retrospectives, and I know people that like to sit and rewatch them.

I just never see that kind of love for the Transformers films. Apart from maybe thr first one, I don't get the sense people are lining up to watch the other 6. They're loud, annoying, and dated. Same goes for Pirates of The Carribean. One good movie, four middling sequels we can just ignore.

the first three Transformers topped Netflix when they arrived there in January 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

I really disagree. 

Dead mans chest slander. 

• Like 4

I will call TLK or AoU a box office disappointment but they are never a flop. It was just disappointment in relative to expectation but the latest transformers is one of the rare movie that I would call it a surprise hit although still being a flop. 

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

I really disagree. 

Dead Man's Chest opened to 133 million in 2006.

I think there's a lots of love for POTC franchise, Atleast the first three, crazy to tag it with twilight.

3 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Dead mans chest slander. 

Yup. Super fun movie. Still some of the best art direction, set design, creature design, visual effects. Awesome score. Awesome action. It's a convoluted mess of a story but Gore goes full Gore with it. I like World's End too.

• Like 1

I miss the early 2010s era of mega-bombs. Disney in particular rained sacks and sacks of dollar bills on supposedly proven directors and reaped the rewards with three wonderful mega-bombs: John Carter, The Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland. Even WB dabbled in this excess, such as green-lighting the one-and-done Wackowskis predictably bombing Jupiter Ascending.

We need more lurid excess and delusions of grandeur from studios. When movies mega-bomb these days, it doesn't feel as fun anymore. As if things only bombed due to some slight unbeforeseen aberration in a future-proof movie/franchise optimization machine or something.

1 minute ago, Marathon said:

I miss the early 2010s era of mega-bombs. Disney in particular rained sacks and sacks of dollar bills on supposedly proven directors and reaped the rewards with three wonderful mega-bombs: John Carter, The Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland. Even WB dabbled in this excess, such as green-lighting the one-and-done Wackowskis predictably bombing Jupiter Ascending.

We need more lurid excess and delusions of grandeur from studios. When movies mega-bomb these days, it doesn't feel as fun anymore. As if things only bombed due to some slight unbeforeseen aberration in a future-proof movie/franchise optimization machine or something.

Well we do have Elemental

• Like 1