Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

23 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m not sure that’s fair. Gladstone is fantastic in the film. A worthy contender, even if it’s much more a supporting role than a lead one. 

Carey Mulligan’s Maestro performance is by far the best lead actress contender I’ve seen. Yet we know campaigns and politics all come into it, especially in the final weeks. It’s always about the nominations for me.  The eventual winners are subject to a pony show that takes no prisoners. 

this is greta lee erasure.

23 hours ago, Joel M said:

I disagree with this as a factual statement about "everyone". Ava2 opened under expectations and went on to have fantastic legs way beyond the holiday corridor. People that don't care or don't like Avatar can pretend that the millions of people in theatres just liked the pretty colors on screen. Still doesn't make it true.

Even though it sold like half the tickets of Avatar 1, there still needs to be an investigation into Avatar 2's box-office because nobody I know has seen it - from my circle of friends/family to the people I work with and most of them are what I'd call 'media savy'

• Haha 4
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Deadline updates from 5mins ago:

DEC 26 AM UPDATE: We’re still waiting on official numbers, but Warner Bros wound up owning Christmas with its trifecta of Aquaman 2, Wonka and The Color Purple respectively in the top three spots. Speaking of The Color Purple, it came up big — much bigger than expected on its first day with an estimated $18.1M, A CinemaScore, 5 stars and 92% positive. That haul was enough for Color Purple to win Christmas Day ahead of Aquaman 2 ($10.6M) and Wonka ($10.4M). As of right now that ties with the first Christmas day of Universal’s feature take on West End/Broadway musical Les Miserables which went on to ultimately make $148.8M. Are musicals dead on the big screen? Absolutely not, they just need to be excellent.

• Like 10

Diversity demos on the Oprah Winfrey-Steven Spielberg produced Color Purple were 65% Black, 19% Caucasian, 11% Hispanic and Latino and 2% Asian. We always knew presales were big, especially in the South, with projections for Christmas Day raising from $8M to $10M-$12M. But yesterday was amazing. Older folks may have taken a longer time to return to cinemas post Covid, but they came back big with Color Purple‘s largest demo being those over 55 at 25%; they also gave the Blitz Bazawule directed movie its best grades at 97%. Women over 25 turned out at 62% (94% grade), followed by guys over 25 at 21% (86%), women under 25 at 14% (91%) with guys under 25 a far distant at 4% (89%).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Even though it sold like half the tickets of Avatar 1, there still needs to be an investigation into Avatar 2's box-office because nobody I know has seen it - from my circle of friends/family to the people I work with and most of them are what I'd call 'media savy'

An...investigation? As in you think it's fake?

15 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

The Color Purple, it came up big — much bigger than expected on its first day with an estimated $18.1M

So What No GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, titanic2187 said:

65% black?! I guess that cost few millions from OD. But this should signal good legs ahead as there are still ample room for non-black folks to discover the movie upon hearing great review.

If they do - could just as easily turn into another Woman King where non-black demos just don't show up and that had even better reviews and audience reception...

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

If they do - could just as easily turn into another Woman King where non-black demos just don't show up and that had even better reviews and audience reception...

I hope this is not the case. The good thing is The Color Purple is a popular book and the previous movie is well known. Trying to be optimistic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

65% black?! I guess that cost few millions from OD. But this should signal good legs ahead as there are still ample room for non-black folks to discover the movie upon hearing great review.

It could also mean that the legs won't be as good because of limited appeal. I was expecting a 50% black share (similar to renaissance by beyonce) but 65% is kind of insane. Far more lopsided than even Black Panther or The Woman King (iirc). Though I have to say, Warner bros deserves an A+ for their release strategy this month, they somehow managed to have different movies that collectively appeal to pretty much every demographic just in time for the holidays. There's not gonna be any cannibalization of sales between Wonka, Aquaman or The Color purple as all three go on to make $100m+.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

If it does follow the same path as The Woman King, then that is still $180,000,000+ in America 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

it’s an open secret they cooked the books. Cameron has powerful accounting friends. 

It must be so powerful that they are capable of refusal to fake their number for Marvels or DC this year but somehow willing to work for JC, for some benefit they can only reap once in a decade. 

Edited by Borobudur
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3