Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I said in the Twisters thread and I will stand by Twister being the most “wtf” in the entire all time top 100 adjusted list by a mile. I can’t fathom anyone will care about Twisters. 

Beetlejuice has plenty of nostalgia on the other hand. 

I think there is a lot more fondness for Twister than you realize.  

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

Twisters Is one of the most forgotten "big blockbusters" ever. I bet Kids never heard about It. The cast could help It but i see It very hard to get people interested in a franchise has nothing really special to sell. A tornado. Ok.

Beetlejuice could be became a sort of new IT if the movie is at least decent.

Wednesday was a big phenomenon and made a certain kind of product from Tim Burton cool again. This is seems the perfect Burton movie you can make to get young people after Wednesday, like IT worked very well as a sort of "stranger things on a big screen". The fact they casted the wednesday actress make this connection even stronger.And there is also Winona from Stranger things. 

1 hour ago, Kon said:

There should already be a weekend thread, right?

Or would it be created on Saturday?

When Friday numbers come out, we can open the weekend thread. I don’t think we have any. But if we do, go ahead and open it.

Twister is fascinating, because I remember seeing that movie on VHS in the '90s and watching it multiple times, but other than the flying cow, Helen Hunt's dad getting killed by a twister, and Hunt and Paxton being saved by tying themselves to a well, I don't remember any specifics about it. But I do think on its own, natural disaster stories still hold a lot of appeal with people, so if they just sell it as an A-budget movie about some crazy storm chasers with some big effects showcases, that might be enough for it to do solid business, even if it doesn't sell 1/3 of the tickets the original did ($575M adjusted?!).

• Like 1

The concept I think still carries interest if there's some decent effort put into it, that was what kept ID Resurgence from being anywhere near the hit the original was. Need just the right mix of cool special effects and broad but appealing character drama to strike a chord with general audiences. Granted that can be a hard ask in this blockbuster environment that emphasizes CGI vomit.

I can maybe see $200mil for Beetlejuice in absolutely perfect circumstances but no way on $300mil. The original movie didn't get close to that adjusted for inflation and I don't think it's the same kind of goth cult hit on VOD that Nightmare Before Christmas is.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

I agree with M37 that Beetlejuice would need a huge opening to hit 300....and I think it gets about 115. It wasn't as big as Top Gun, but like Top Gun it hasn't been ruined by any stupid or shitty sequels, and has become an oft-referenced classic with massive home video and cable reruns (plus a popular musical to get handjobs in). It returns Keaton and Burton, and adds Ortega for some real juice. It's the right sweet spot of nostalgia to take off. Quorum and Fandango Top 10 aren't perfect metrics but they are huge for Beetlejuice and so I will allow them to reinforce what my intuition tells me.

Twisters, I'm not sold on. People do love the original but the original doesn't have any of the iconic elements or characters to carry over like a Top Gun or Beetlejuice. This feels more like a typical disaster movie with a brand stuck on than a true legacy sequel.

Gladiator 2 most certainly has massive buzz but is also probably going to be weird and bad, so it's the great mystery of 2024 for me.

53 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Twister is fascinating, because I remember seeing that movie on VHS in the '90s and watching it multiple times, but other than the flying cow, Helen Hunt's dad getting killed by a twister, and Hunt and Paxton being saved by tying themselves to a well, I don't remember any specifics about it. But I do think on its own, natural disaster stories still hold a lot of appeal with people, so if they just sell it as an A-budget movie about some crazy storm chasers with some big effects showcases, that might be enough for it to do solid business, even if it doesn't sell 1/3 of the tickets the original did ($575M adjusted?!).

It's the most basic disaster movie concept you can get. 

I think back in the 90s worked well cause It was marketed as the next Jurassic Park" (same studio and Spielberg and Kennedy were producers). 

• Like 1

As an "old" lemme tell y'alls why Twister took off.  It came along right at the crest of the "disaster flick" craze.  ID4, which came out a couple of months later and which Twister had a semi-rivalry with, was the zenith.

It also had semi-marketable (at the time) stars (Helen Hunt was a thing at the time thanks to Mad About You for example), and a well executed premise.  Also, it shared some themes, if superficially and on a much smaller scale, with Jurassic Park and the Spielberg connection didn't hurt one iota.

Finally, the CGI revolution was still very much in its infancy and thus fresh.  Things that were propelling Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park and the forthcoming Independence Day also propelled Twister.

But, no, really.  "(Very) Well Made Disaster Flick".  THE. END.

(okay, might be a litttttle more complicated than that, as one can crunch down a lot of films if one is that reductive, but New At The Time CGI + Disaster Flick + More Folks Going To Movies Like That Back Then explains a whole hell of a lot of the equation)

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I think back in the 90s worked well cause It was marketed as the next Jurassic Park" (same studio and Spielberg and Kennedy were producers). 

The "little guy" versus the "big tech backed wannabe" angle is damn near universal of a basic concept as well.  Was even an old trope by the time of David vs Goliath.  

Mid 90s was an... interesting time.  Cold War was over. "Red state/blue state" wasn't a thing at all.   Islamic Fundamentalism really wasn't that much of a thing at that exact time, and what was in popular entertainment was seen through the lens of old hazy memories about the Iran Hostage Crisis or the Lebanon Civil War of the 80s/First Intifada of the early 90s*. 

* See, in reference, ST:DS9

Even the (first) Iraq War wasn't really seen along that fracture and more in the backdrop on an Unstable Middle East.  Big Tech wasn't much of a thing yet, either.  Not as we know it, at least.  Had Drug Lords running around, but was a bit of looking about for The Next Big Villain.

One thing that did start to take root, if one wants to get all Slate Pitch-y, is anger starting to turn at Big Corp.  Before the backlash to Globalization and the protests that would launch against it in the late-90 and beyond, you can see a sort of proto-form of it in much of popular entertainment of the time.  Even problematic films like Rising Sun earlier in the decade had a pretty strong anti-capitalist/anti-Big Corp angle to it as well.  Hell, a good portion of Jurassic Park is casting a disapproving glance at Corporate Governance of Projects.

Now a decent amount of this, if not most of it, was a reaction against the excesses of the 80s. But I do think one underrated reason why Twister took off is it tapping into a mood that was still in its infancy regarding the... complicated feelings Americans have to corporations, especially the ones seen as cold and unfeeling and stamping out Mom and Pop organizations/small businesses.

(worded this post as neutrally as I can to avoid it taking off)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I saw this in a drive through theatre with my childhood friends. The effects at the time were awe inspiring on the big screen (hyper realistic weather effects). I don’t see how they can recreate that feeling for audiences with the follow up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

This is my first time learning what a Twister is. 

I anecdotally don’t know anyone who has ever mentioned that movie even one time to me. If I start asking people about it I will not be surprised if many are clueless as to what it is. 

I will also throw in It’s a Mad…. World as the other of the top 100, but I’m guessing it had much to do with the star powered cast at the time. 

Edited by MovieMan89