LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (01/19-01/21)

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I  wonder if Poor Things is EVER going wide wide like 3000+ theaters. If it still doesn't get a big expansion this Fri after Oscar Noms, I'm going to give up on ever seeing it.

Really doubt it’s going completely wide, it’s too artsy i think for that

And it probably won’t go much beyond this numbers. I’m expecting next weekend to gross 3-3.5M due to Oscar nominations and then start to drop slowly, i think it’ll do this no matter how many theaters it have.

But i do think there’ll be some expansion next week, probably trying to get into most cities even if just in 1 theater 

18 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

In France it's depending of the mood and the WOM but in general it's not good , No Hard Feelings made just 100k admissions ( it's a flop) but the movie was 2-3 days at the top on ITunes ( more success in streaming like other countries) , The Lost City made just 650K and Ticket to Paradise just under 400K so not the best country to make money

The advantage of Anyone But You is Sony made promotion on Tiktok . Also contrary to other movies that I quoted , he begin one month after the US and could profit of the WOM and box office of other countries + lack of competition . ( This wednesday , we have with ABY , Color People and May December ( yes , one of the few countries that the movie begin in theaters instead of Netflix)) 

oh wow that's an excellent input into French boxoffice! Big thanks! :bravo:

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Anyone But You really was the nice surprise of the season box office wise. I was so sure that was gonna be the big bomb and I’m glad to be proven wrong.

that said, I am gonna pat myself on the back a bit after calling Wonka being the biggest film of the holiday season.

Sorry but did anyone not call this? It did in the most unremarkable and blah way it ever possibly could have, which just kinda proves it was inevitable. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Atrocious expansion for Poor Things. Hopefully theaters don't drop it this weekend.

If it gets the Oscar nominations it's expected to, they won't 

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Sorry but did anyone not call this? It did in the most unremarkable and blah way it ever possibly could have, which just kinda proves it was inevitable. 

I got some JJJ laugh reactions when I first called it so a some didn’t.

Poor Color Purple. Taraji nuked the movie. It dropped like a rock when she came out crying for more pay and feeling badly treated. Like she couldn’t wait to talk about that after the box office and awards season run? 

Saw Poor Things and I absolutely loved it.

In my top 5 for 2023. I was not expecting it be as funny as it was, most I have laughed in a theatre in years.

I did think the first half of the film was better than the 2nd half. It meandered a bit too long in the back half, but still loved it.

9/10

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 10:29 AM, TomThomas said:

I mean it's always weird to me people like to use future streaming views of a theatrical release as some financial salvation. Studios which made those movies won't get a single cent from those views, they just sell the rights for a fixed price depending on movie's theatrical perfomance (unless it's their own streaming platform) and maybe some extra points like awards/reception, so it doesn't mean anything. Poorly performed movies are usually sold for a hole of a donut.

Not sure how beepekeeper fits into this tbh. Its already at $75M on a $40M budget. Will likely break even at theatrical if not profit.

Edited by Dominic Draper

16 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Saw Poor Things and I absolutely loved it.

In my top 5 for 2023. I was not expecting it be as funny as it was, most I have laughed in a theatre in years.

I did think the first half of the film was better than the 2nd half. It meandered a bit too long in the back half, but still loved it.

9/10

I was surprised by how funny and uplifting Poor Things was. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Poor Color Purple. Taraji nuked the movie. It dropped like a rock when she came out crying for more pay and feeling badly treated. Like she couldn’t wait to talk about that after the box office and awards season run? 

That isn't true. The Color Purple has terrible box office drops even before Taraji started to speak about her issues with TCP production.

Honestly, Taraji complaining early was the best for her message, because the interest on TCP would be on the floor after the awards season run. In fact, that's likely the reason why she decided to complaint so early.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I got some JJJ laugh reactions when I first called it so a some didn’t.

Yeah, to be fair there were some who seemed to think it wouldn’t do anything. No clue why given the Xmas options this year. 

20 hours ago, grim22 said:

I will say that it does seem as the New Year came that my Regal at least is listening to these complaints. Instead of the 10-12 minutes of ads before the trailer, now it's about 7 minutes. Even the trailers are shrunk from what they were a year ago. So now the show starts 20 minutes after showtime, which...I mean, still probably not that great, but it goes a long way making the experience more tolerable. I think they are listening.

1 hour ago, Eric George said:

I will say that it does seem as the New Year came that my Regal at least is listening to these complaints. Instead of the 10-12 minutes of ads before the trailer, now it's about 7 minutes. Even the trailers are shrunk from what they were a year ago. So now the show starts 20 minutes after showtime, which...I mean, still probably not that great, but it goes a long way making the experience more tolerable. I think they are listening.

Assigned seating is a good thing because you get to come late and avoid interminable amount of trailers and ads. It's like "skip ads" button in real life.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Assigned seating is a good thing because you get to come late and avoid interminable amount of trailers and ads. It's like "skip ads" button in real life.

also allows you to be nosy and look at how many tickets have been bought

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

9c89794d-e7ac-4c6d-8971-7e4694ee2f0f_tex

Hide contents

Movie gif makes it ON TOPIC, right?!?

Unbelievable that Buffalo loses again b/c they can't have a kicker make a very makeable FG...

Wide right...

My kid wants Baltimore to win it all this year and he wanted a KC match up.  I told him he got what he wanted, but to be careful for what he wished for, b/c Mahomes doesn't choke, but Buffalo somehow always does...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Wide right...

Most hated/dreaded/feared words in Buffalo, bar none.

NB: 

Context:  Where "Wide Right" all started back in 1991 (and, for that matter might have inspired part of Ace Ventura in the first place).

• Like 2