JustWatching

President's Day Weekend Thread (2/16-19) | Bob Marley 28.6/34.1 (52 6-Day), Madame Web 15.3/18 (26 6-Day)

Bob Marley is a proof that if audience cares for something (character, story, premise, etc) they'll come no matter what critics say. Critics are not the saviors nor doomers. 

1 hour ago, ando said:

Anyone But You, which at one point was tracking for like a $3m OW, has outgrossed (domestic) the sequel to a $1.1B MCU film. 

Utterly insane lmao. 

Looks like the war on romance/romcom ended with romance/romcom winning. :Gaga:

Edited by Valonqar

One Love should at least match the $96M total of Rocketman, pretty impressive considering it arrived with much less fanfare than that did. 

Madame Web's is probably about as much as it could've anticipated given the horrific reviews. Multipliers look like they were pretty strong this weekend, thanks to the extended holiday.

• Like 1

To put into perspective how much the landscape has changed in the past 4-5 years: this weekend, not only did a romantic comedy, a genre flatlining for the past decade now, beat a big budget Marvel blockbuster domestically, but another Marvel-based movie got absolutely bodied by a biopic with mixed critical reception. It's honestly insane to see a genre that used to instantly print money as recently as last decade radically transform into a high-risk punchline. The characters who ascended to the top during the golden age will likely still print money, as seen by Spider-Man and that Deadpool trailer's metric. Those who couldn't will gradually fade away from the spotlight and become "that weirdo my grandpa was obsessed with when he was a kid". It'll be interesting for sure to see if any other genre becomes the new top dog in the years to come, or if wealth will be a lot more evenly distributed across the board in a new market without the record breaking highs but with far higher lows.

5 years later I’m still surprised Rocketman didn’t make 100M. I’m chalking it up to the movie taking a musical approach to a dark subject matter, and not shying away from that subject matter and making a “concert movie”. Still the best if the musical biopics we’ve gotten recently.

• Like 2

Well after a 6M global weekend, seems like Poor Things is locked for +100M. Insane for a movie like this, especially being Rated R

Anyone But You seems locked for +200M as well, exceptional surprise

Despite all the post pandemic struggles still existing, seems like there’s finally some outliers succeeding in the past months 

• Like 3

Holdovers passes 20m. The second Oscar best picture movie with a platform release model to hit that mark after PT. American fiction should be the third one. A good improvement from Oscar season last year where only EEAAO hit 20m mark. 

On the other hand, it is confirmed that Iron Claw BO in the numbers is indeed overstated by around 550k. The numbers got their new year day figure wrong.   

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DAJK said:

5 years later I’m still surprised Rocketman didn’t make 100M. I’m chalking it up to the movie taking a musical approach to a dark subject matter, and not shying away from that subject matter and making a “concert movie”. Still the best if the musical biopics we’ve gotten recently.

I think it had more to do with the fact that it released in one of the most crowded spots ever, including competing against another musical. Had to be constantly be fighting for screens against much bigger releases.

• Like 1

Actually think the box office is starting to get quite healthy market wise, it's the lacking product that concerns me this year. Which I suppose is an improvement from last couple years!

• Like 1

Is Bob Marley actually holding well? I was pretty confident that this would collapse immediately. This will likely remain the highest grossing movie domestically until Dune 2 releases. 

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think it had more to do with the fact that it released in one of the most crowded spots ever, including competing against another musical. Had to be constantly be fighting for screens against much bigger releases.

Summer 2019 was such a bloodbath. If you weren't Disney or didn't have the Mouse connection back then, it was red ink for you.

21 minutes ago, dallas said:

Is Bob Marley actually holding well? I was pretty confident that this would collapse immediately. This will likely remain the highest grossing movie domestically until Dune 2 releases. 

Well yeah that is less than 2 weeks away now. 

Something kind of interesting when you think about Marvel collapsing has kind of resuscitated all the midbudget genres that it almost killed off. Like obviously there's still a huge chunk of audience gone, but there's still something to be said that a lot of small movies, stuff that seemed like it was on its deathbed in 2019 because people kept saving their money for Marvel and Disney remakes, have now migrated back to movies that were seen as just for streaming. And yeah, the big 11B+ totals aren't a thing yet--probably never will--but people are now actually shelling out for more than nostalgic toy commercials because there isn't one studio gobbling everybody's wallets up. That's exciting. That's nice. We're moving up.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Eric Web said:

Something kind of interesting when you think about Marvel collapsing has kind of resuscitated all the midbudget genres that it almost killed off. Like obviously there's still a huge chunk of audience gone, but there's still something to be said that a lot of small movies, stuff that seemed like it was on its deathbed in 2019 because people kept saving their money for Marvel and Disney remakes, have now migrated back to movies that were seen as just for streaming. And yeah, the big 11B+ totals aren't a thing yet--probably never will--but people are now actually shelling out for more than nostalgic toy commercials because there isn't one studio gobbling everybody's wallets up. That's exciting. That's nice. We're moving up.

Musical bio-pics are nostalgia driven, estate approved brand commercials….

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Bob marley merch is a big thing if you want you can still call that a nostalgic toy commercial.

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Musical bio-pics are nostalgia driven, estate approved brand commercials….

Oh yeah. Stuff like Elvis and Bob Marley and Bohemian Rhapsody and whatever are for sure nostalgic toy commercials. The way they sell you on the music is no different than when Disney used Part of Your World or A Whole New World in all the trailers and ads for their remakes. I wasn't listing off that movie as an example in particular.