Eric Duncan

Dune: Part Two (2024)

Dune: Part Two (2024)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

14 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Had a similar experience watching this as I did with The Batman - absolutely stunning to look at and drink in (seriously other blockbusters, try even half as hard as this with presentation) but the second half does start to buckle a bit under the weight of the plot. The parts that take their time stand in stark contrast to the parts that feel weirdly rushed. I know mystical mumbo-jumbo will always put the viewer at arm’s length from the protagonist to some extent but it feels really quite sudden here.

turns out this and The Batman have the same cinematographer, so go figure

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

In the original novel she gets impregnated by Feyd with a daughter just like in this movie. Then neither her nor her husband nor her unborn daughter are ever mentioned again in the ones Frank Herbert wrote. He drops the plot point completely.

Thanks. This Is why i don't remember It. It was there but didn't bring anywhere. 

Villenueve seems so precise on Building the plot, he said the mentat didn't return cause he decides to pur bene gesserit at the centre of the story. So if It's in the movie this time should have some role in the story.

The whole cast was awesome in this, but especially Bardem, who had couple of good comedic moments that really worked for the audience. Shouty Timothee also really worked, though I can totally see Clay's point about the transition being too abrupt. I think the change of Chani being a skeptic helps here though, as there's a palpable dread hanging over everything. It's a tad alienating to lose Paul's perspective at this point, but that might also be the point as well. 

Beyond curious what approach Denis would take with Messiah at this point. Please, please let it happen.

On 2/29/2024 at 7:45 PM, Cmasterclay said:

Huh. Well I liked it alot better than the first, and it was flirting with masterpiece status for awhile - but did they leave a scene on the cutting room floor or something? Paul's heel turn goes from gradual to full blown so fast it barely makes sense. From "we must go to the South" to full blown baddie with one drink that we don't even see the results of? Needed a three minute scene explaining his mindset or something. Without it....I don't know how I felt, honestly.

That's basically my big issue with it. For a nearly 3 hour movie that felt very abrupt.

I like the first better but this is still good.

On 3/1/2024 at 3:18 AM, WorkingonaName said:

Do I remember the first movie to understand this one? might go see this 

Do you got max? I just rewatched the movie on there a day before I went to see the movie and it really helped me with knowing what was going on lol. Great movie. The story reminds me of Game Of Thrones but it’s sci-fi instead of fantasy.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 2:39 AM, Brainbug said:

Half a day later and i cant still comprehend how good this movie is. Films like these just arend made anymore.

A true epic. True pathos. No cringe humour, real stakes in the story and battles, a convincing romance.

Its a miracle.

This. It lacked the usual heroic lines that makes audience go crazy. Which makes it amazing. it are more of what is shown on the screen that any tell. Plus the twists were brilliantly done. 

That said I am not surprised by not everyone not warming up to this movie. To me this is among the greatest sci-fi movies ever made. Makes Lucas movies more like kids flick in comparison. 

• Like 3

They chickened out with Alia. That was disappointing. I was hoping for a creepy CGI toddler. 

There was a lot of stuff here that I don’t recall in the book, although I only read through it once, so there’s that. I certainly don’t remember Chani being angry at Paul in the book. 

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I certainly don’t remember Chani being angry at Paul in the book. 

It's not in the book.  They're ride or die in the book.

1 minute ago, ZackM said:

It's not in the book.  They're ride or die in the book.

Yeah. I just wanted to make sure my memory wasn’t failing me. Chani in general is a very different character from what I remember from the book. 

• Like 1

Regarding Paul’s abrupt turn I think it makes perfect sense since he drank the WoL as Paul and then he woke up as the utterly powerful KH. 

Edited by Mr Roark
  • Like 3

Wow GIF - Wow Cartoon Cartoons GIFs

This is every bit as much an incredible visual experience as Part One was, and might even surpass it in some respects. I saw this on an IMAX screen and was truly blown away by how breathtaking the filmmaking is. Arrakis is as much a technical marvel as, say, Middle Earth was, if not more so. It's also a rather satisfying adaptation of the difficult-to-adapt novel, and the approach to the material here is just so much better than the awful David Lynch movie. This is true CINEMA! and not an obvious product of soulless corporate greed designed only to keep the cash cow going until the money runs out (that's you, the Fast & the Furious franchise).

It speaks to how much confidence the talented cast has in Denis' vision that he's able to recruit a number of notable new participants for this in addition to those returning, led again by yet another strong performance from Timothee Chalamet. He has by far the meatiest material out of the massive ensemble, which also includes a much larger role for Zendaya and new-to-the-universe Florence Pugh and Austin Butler (bringing a crazed energy) leaving an impression despite not having an abundance of screen time.

I can see where the complaints about Paul's turn manifesting way too quickly are coming from, but it doesn't impact the overall overall experience for me. This is a real big screen epic. My only true complaint is that I now have to wait who knows how long for the final installment in the trilogy.

A-

Well, looks like I’m that guy this time. It pains me to say it, but my first thought as the credits began to roll was, that’s three hours of my life I’ll never get back. It’s just inert. I didn’t feel a thing watching it, or care about anyone. It’s not bad. It looks pretty, the script is serviceable — and some of the changes, like Alia, are probably for the best — the acting is, well, let’s just say Chalmet and Zendaya put an entire career’s worth of longing glances into one movie and I did not buy for one second that they were in love.

Stilgar rocks, tho. He and Gurney felt like the only actual people in the whole thing.

The first one got me excited to see this. This made me not care if there’s a third. 

• Like 2

In book Paul needed few years to achieve what he achieved in movies in few months, in book he had child with Chani. Leto was murdered. But this changes made movie worse, and i dont understand why they were made. 

1 hour ago, JustWatching said:

Well, looks like I’m that guy this time. It pains me to say it, but my first thought as the credits began to roll was, that’s three hours of my life I’ll never get back. It’s just inert. I didn’t feel a thing watching it, or care about anyone. It’s not bad. It looks pretty, the script is serviceable — and some of the changes, like Alia, are probably for the best — the acting is, well, let’s just say Chalmet and Zendaya put an entire career’s worth of longing glances into one movie and I did not buy for one second that they were in love.

Stilgar rocks, tho. He and Gurney felt like the only actual people in the whole thing.

The first one got me excited to see this. This made me not care if there’s a third. 

100% QFT, no emotion at all

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

16 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Yeah. I just wanted to make sure my memory wasn’t failing me. Chani in general is a very different character from what I remember from the book. 

Chani Paul story in the next movie will be totally different from the book i feel. 

The chani of the movie won't accept to became a concubine. Imo when Paul will marry Irulan she's gonna "leave him". And probably seeing Paul visions in both movies She will became the leader of a rebellion against Paul.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Chani Paul story in the next movie will be totally different from the book i feel. 

The chani of the movie won't accept to became a concubine. Imo when Paul will marry Irulan she's gonna "leave him". And probably seeing Paul visions in both movies She will became the leader of a rebellion against Paul.

If Denis wants to take all of the good will he’s built with these two movies and set it on fire, this is what he’ll do.

If he’s not an insane person, he’ll adapt Messiah in a more straight forward way.

• Like 1

This feels like watching the child resulting from a marriage between Game of Thrones and Star Wars. Except this is older than both of them, so it's more like watching their… grandparent?

I love both of these (or, at least, I used to love both of them) so naturally I'm loving Dune.

One thing I didn't expect was Timothée Chalamet stepping up big time. I wasn't feeling it too much with him in the first movie, but in this he really went like, okay I need to deliver. And he did. Splendid.

I also thought Chani would be a one-note bland character; I'm really glad to have been wrong.

Stunts - 80/100 | The action is sharp and exciting. Blockbusters sometimes do have it in them to awe an audience, and this is one of those. The money went to the right place.

Narrative - 88/100 | The less they explain things, the better. And here they explain roughly… not much. Just what you need to follow the story. I love it. The mythology is just so goddamn interesting though, I might just go and pick up the books. It's a middle chapter so, know what to expect.

Fight Choreography - 80/100 | Denis is cutting his fights less and less. 👍

Enjoyment - 94/100 | That third act though. Jesus… Guys, blockbusters this good are absolutely fucking rare. Don't miss this! In theaters if possible.

I'll be at the station waiting for the hype train that is Dune: Part Three. ETA: unknown. But I'll be there.

The spice must flow.

A

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ZackM said:

If Denis wants to take all of the good will he’s built with these two movies and set it on fire, this is what he’ll do.

If he’s not an insane person, he’ll adapt Messiah in a more straight forward way.

The woman we see from the back in both movies with the Bloody dagger It's her right?