kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

7 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Are there capacity issues at some places? It released on 3.8k screens compared to 4k+ of Ghostbusters.

Those bottom 200 theaters don't add much, but there may be some constraints with not enough sometimes. Was booked more like the $50M+ opening WB set for expectations

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Any theater that picked up busters will be locked into that for two weeks, so single screens wouldn't be able to drop it for Zilla

It should mean more spillovers for GxK on Sunday at least. People that weren't able to get good seats on Fri and Sat will go on Sun instead.

Spillovers have been helping Dune 2 alot these past few weeks.

1 hour ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Sitting in the theater for Godzilla x Kong. The start time was 7. It's 7:05 and the TRAILERS haven't even started yet. AMC MUST BE STOPPED

I always arrive 15 minutes late into a showing from the listed start time, that way I only have to watch like 2-3 trailers before the movie starts. It makes it more tolerable!

Only works for theaters with assigned seating obviously. 

• Like 1

Saw Immaculate.

It's a tightly made,straight to the point horror thriller. Absolutely no fat on the film, just lean and well paced.

It very much has giallo vibes to me, something like Don't Torture a duckling. Modern wise it also reminded a lot of a Cure For Wellness.

I don't think it does anything extremely well, but it's fairly effective and well executed. 

It had some decent hyper violence, but honestly I wish it went even further than it did. 

All in all a decent time for a horror fan.

7/10

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 6

I have to think Legendary is feeling vindicated about throwing a fit about WB’s day-and-date streaming strategy in 2021 after how Dune and Kong have performed in March. 

• Like 10

I looked at Saturday PS and I am expecting 5-10% bump tomorrow minus previews. Based on reports 72% of school and 39% of Colleges were out today and so there is further potential plus under performing MTC will also do better tomorrow. 

37/30/20 - 87m OW. I am sure @Brainbug can live with that. :sparta:

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 14
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-godzilla-x-kong-the-new-empire-1235871440/

FRIDAY NIGHT: This is how a great box office weekend should be. A studio goes into the frame expecting ‘X’, and they wind up with a substantially higher ‘Y’. It was definitely a good Friday for Legendary and Warner Bros with more walk-up business than expected as Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire is now posting a $35M first day (plus previews) putting on the path to a $75M opening weekend. Also, the sequel nabbed an A- CinemaScore, which is the second best CinemaScore for a Monsterverse movie after 2021’s Godzilla vs. Kong, which was also directed by Adam Wingard.

Godzilla x Kong‘s weekend is still the second best U.S./Canada start for a Monsterverse, but also the fifth best Easter weekend opening ever after Warner Bros’ Batman v. Superman ($181M), Universal/Illumination’s Super Mario Bros Movie ($166.4M), Universal’s Furious 7 ($161.2M) and Uni’s The Fate of the Furious ($107.3M).

We’ll have more for you in the AM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Squire said:

I have to think Legendary is feeling vindicated about throwing a fit about WB’s day-and-date streaming strategy in 2021 after how Dune and Kong have performed in March. 

Legendary got hit with bad luck of the pandemic, but Dune 3 and GxK3 should happen in a few years.

• Heart 1