ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

1 minute ago, JWR said:

Andrew Stanton wasn't even in director's jail for a long stretch, anyway. A year after John Carter flopped, he announced he was making Finding Dory and now he's direction episodes of TV shows like Obi-Wan, Stranger Things, and other Apple projects. 

John Carter technically MAY have lost more money than Joker 2 will but it did mean he hasn't actually directed a big budget movie since. His TV work was unaffected. I'll only assume he's truly out of jail if he gets another passion project like John Carter though.

5 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I have a question regarding musicals...I haven't seen many Hollywood musicals but I was very surprised when I learnt that the songs in the Hollywood musicals are usually sung my the actor/actress. In Indian movies where we have lot of songs, in 99% of the cases, the songs are sang by some other singers, not the lead actor, actress. Why is this not the case in Hollywood ? Wouldn't it make lot of sense to hire best possible actors suited for just acting part of the role and best possible singer for singing the song rather than have the actor do both the things ? 

Apparently, it's considered "fake" if actor don't really sing on a Hollywood movie

Honestly, I don't understand why this happened. Studios should use good singers for the songs in musical movies instead of forcing actors who can't sings.

Edited by Kon

2 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Aye, and I get that, but it’s doing similar daily numbers to movies like abominable and ninjago, yet its reduction is nearly twice as much as either of those. God the 2020’s have been brutal 

The weird thing is I can't think of another movie opening other than Joker 2 so it doesn't seem like "volume of new releases" this weekend should be the reason. Maybe next weekend but it seems a strange choice.

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

Apparently, it's considered "fake" if actor don't really sing on a Hollywood movie

Honestly, I don't understand why this happened. Studios should use good singers for the songs in musical movies instead of forcing actors who can't sings.

There's actually plenty of movies historically where the actors didn't do their own singing (My Fair Lady is notable) but Milli Vanilli made people terrified to do musical acts that are actually lipsyncs to somebody else.

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

I don't see the need to make a character iconic and then tear them down as being bad and useless.

U can look at flaws but give them an epic send off like in Logan

Wolverine's send off was D&W, not Logan. Bromance teamup with Deadpool was what the world always wanted.

11 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I have a question regarding musicals...I haven't seen many Hollywood musicals but I was very surprised when I learnt that the songs in the Hollywood musicals are usually sung my the actor/actress. In Indian movies where we have lot of songs, in 99% of the cases, the songs are sang by some other singers, not the lead actor, actress. Why is this not the case in Hollywood ? Wouldn't it make lot of sense to hire best possible actors suited for just acting part of the role and best possible singer for singing the song rather than have the actor do both the things ? 

Musicals are comparatively rare in Hollywood as opposed to Indian movies where almost every movie has multiple songs. So it makes sense to have actors focusing on acting and to have professional singers do the singing part in India. 

Also if you look at the few musicals that Hollywood does release, many of them have actors who are/were also singers. For example Naomi Scott in Aladdin, Rachel Ziegler in West Side Story, Ryan Gosling in La La Land and Barbie, Gaga in A Star Is Born. 

Besides nowadays with auto tune and other pitch correction softwares and a little bit of training you can make almost anyone sound good. 

this discussion is getting too long

only reason someone gave 200M to Todd Philips for a drama it's cause is a sequel of an 80M drama with a very popular character in pop culture made 1B.

For the rest in general is a director of mid budgeted dramas, not blockbusters, and of course he can still make them. 

If Warner really gave him 200M without even reading a definitive screenplay it's on them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Okay.

How much do you think Gladiator 2 will beat Joker 2 by?

The Gladiator 2 trailer got laughs last night before Joker (when the Kanye song kicked in). Little did we know what awaited us in the actual film lol

• Astonished 1

We're not getting a Hangover 4 unless BCoop has officially thrown in the towel on his Oscar chasing after a dozen nominations and no wins across multiple fields to the point where he's desperate for any kind of work (he's not). The last one was a critically-savaged underperformer at the box office that would've killed a franchise if it hadn't marketed as the last one and the fact this is shaping up to be both a major flop and earned a hard-to-achieve D CinemaScore grade (the biggest black mark of all by far) means WB (and other studios, for that matter) is unlikely to bankroll Phillips again in the foreseeable future. Considering even in demand names are doing streaming projects these days, I entertain that going that route might be the easiest "get out of director's jail" card of all for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

I don't see the need to make a character iconic and then tear them down as being bad and useless.

U can look at flaws but give them an epic send off like in Logan

Logan would have been an epic send-off until Reynolds got his money-grubbing mitts on the character.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

during the classic era of musical from the 40s to 60s the genre was so popular Hollywood actually created a-list stars were "used" kinda only for musicals so they were really great dancers, singers etc...Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Judy Gardland, Ginger Rogers and so many others. They made like 3 musicals for year.

in general actors were "a type" in every genre. You got the actor for hard boiled noir, actor for comedies etc.. I mean it's an era when you have Charlie Chaplin. The same theater character but in different movies, stories and contexts.

Then Hollywood changed from a lot of point of views and the acting world changed too with actors don't play "types" but they have to be "real" (all the method acting stuff).

So the hollywood star (expect for few genres still have their own specific stars like action movies) became someone makes every kinda of role. The musical as genre also didn't became something with 50 new movies every year so hollywood doesn't invest money to create a "movie musical star" to let him- her make like 3 musical in all the career.

They use for musicals the stars they have. So you have Russel Crowe, Tom Cruise, Richard Gere or Ryan Gosling in a musical .

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AN9815 said:

I must say this is the biggest surprise of the year for me by far. I never expected Joker 2 to be struggling to make $40m OW. This is a total disaster. About a month ago I said on the Joker 2 thread that this would easily make +$100m OW and possibly go up to $140m. I had seen the reviews (around 62% on Rottentomatoes at that time) and I thought the worse case scenario was a huge opening followed by terrible legs, like Batman v Superman or Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. I thought there was real interest in this movie, the first one is very well liked and had incredible legs, specially overseas. Prior to reviews, personally I thought it was going to slightly increase WW like Guardians Vol.1 to Guardians Vol.2 and even with the arguments of "the first one was a cultural phenomenon that cannot be replicated" I thought it would still decrease like Wakanda Forever from first Black Panther or The Last Jedi from The Force Awakens, whose first movies were also cultural phenomenons that couldn't be replicated. This is joining The Marvels and Alice Through the Looking Glass in movies whose predecessors made $1b WW and sequel couldn't even surpass $300m WW, with the difference that Captain Marvel and Alice in Wonderland were not nearly as well received as Joker and that The Marvels and Alice Through the Looking Glass were not as poorly received as Joker 2, for better or worse. 

This thing is reverse Inside Out 2.