A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

39 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Yeah but other marvel films have been pretty meh (I mean in 2014 they were great but now 120m - 140m isn't great. I mean a lot of movie do that now a day. Alita, bumbel the rock movies get there most of the time. Not that they do bad it's just they don't seem to click like in other markets. And End Game will have to be bigger than $370m it's OW will surely be better than IW but legs probably worse. 

It is really hard that something can be liked everywhere in the same way. If each MCU could do everywhere what it does in Asia or Latin America then we would have 3 Titanics or 3 Avatar per year... Let's wait and see what happens with Endgame. Maybe it surprises and jump into a higher level like IW already did last year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

if only bc they are so hard to please

Dont think its because of that but this has more to do with majority of demand being met and this makes sense since CM release become even more hotter property with Endgame' imminent release than just a usual MCU opener which made people want to catch this as quick as possible.

Still will be another ceiling breaker on solo SH debuts with that OW and final. The run is just normalizing after the front loaded opening

Edited by NamakFiskKa

2 hours ago, justvision said:

Likely to get a lot wtf or worse reactions, but I got to say this. I respect China market. CM is such mediocre movie compared to recent MCU solo such as Thor Ragnorok and Spider-Man Homecoming that it should not earn more than them. The heavy promotion and the tie-in to Endgame boosted its OD, but after that the movie has to face the audience on its own merit.

To those haters, and to those who demand China to show favor to MCU first female lead movie, China audience is like "I do what I would do, I like what I like", and "I got nothing to prove to you". 🙂😜

It might be a language thingy, but beside one member who 'demads' it in a rather hopeful way bcs he wants his club to succeed (and is btw pretty young still) and newer / less exprienced members I do not think anyone 'demands' what you are implying here.

The one member who said he/she hates China's markt does not hate China he/she hates that it is so flexible, hates his/her frustration of not knowing what is coming.

I loe that it is not a stable / simpl market, others hate that ~ inscurity about what to expect. Its not automatically a hate for the country nor its audience

And 'thanks' for your judgement of the film being The reason for whatever/however the movie 'should' earn (irony)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

It might be a language thingy, but beside one member who 'demads' it in a rather hopeful way bcs he wants his club to succeed (and is btw pretty young still) and newer / less exprienced members I do not think anyone 'demands' what you are implying here.

The one member who said he/she hates China's markt does not hate China he/she hates that it is so flexible, hates his/her frustration of not knowing what is coming.

I loe that it is not a stable / simpl market, others hate that ~ inscurity about what to expect. Its not automatically a hate for the country nor its audience

And 'thanks' for your judgement of the film being The reason for whatever/however the movie 'should' earn (irony)

Guess you give too much leeway to people who you concur saying 'hate', while taking too seriously when I used 'haters' in the above post, the irony and dry humor of which are lost on you.

Edited by justvision

20 minutes ago, justvision said:

Guess you give too much leeway to people who you concur saying 'hate', while taking too seriously when I used 'haters' in the above post, the irony and dry humor of which are lost on you.

hence language thingy.

The 'leeway' is based on the sum of their posts all over the forum, Incl here and there the sighs about why thy are not happy with China's BO calculation thing.

Sometimes I ask pople how they mean this or that or give pointers for the next movie, sometimes per post, every now and then per PM. I get answers that explain it like that. General speaking, not only about China-

People do forget how others, not knowing what happening in their minds, might interpret a fastly written post in a complete other way than intended

If I hear someone, its no problem to hear its a 'not earnestly meant' variation.

Written in my language its often already difficult to realise, but see humor being in every culture a bit to a big difference, cutural diffs, and a foreign language

= I understand it as written, if no one had added e.g. this :ph34r: bcs.... I cant hear you. Literally.

1 hour ago, Hades said:

China does not seem to be fans of Cap Marvel Black Panther and Iron man Jr...Wonder how their sequels will perform....

Don't think China will ''Star Wars'' these characters yet....

No sequel for Iron Man. The good thing about China is that it's the only international market where it can provide any MCU movies a guaranteed floor of $100M. No MCU movies since 2015 earned less than that amount. That means there's a base for these films there. That's why I don't see it being the same situation as the SW in China.

32 minutes ago, UserHN said:

No sequel for Iron Man. The good thing about China is that it's the only international market where it can provide any MCU movies a guaranteed floor of $100M. No MCU movies since 2015 earned less than that amount. That means there's a base for these films there. That's why I don't see it being the same situation as the SW in China.

Iron Man Jr = Spider-Man

He was making a joke. 

25 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Does this make it the highest furthest fastest superhero drop? twitch-emote-pogchamp-5bda79e146e0fb0051

According to Gavin Feng, seems like it. But you don't have to be gleeful about CM's China free fall because a horrific leg (like BvS) will still get the film to gross more than $900M worldwide.

29 minutes ago, boyamama said:

no billion ???:Venom:

I said, with a horrific leg like BvS, it will gross $900M (to be exact, a leg like BvS will have CM gross $944.1M plus around $10M from Japan, so a total of $954M). Do you actually think that CM will have a leg like BvS? And this film doesn't really need to hit a billion to be successful. It only has a budget of $152M. Quite small budget for a SH film. And also remember, CM is a D-list Marvel comics character. Most of the public don't even know her until this film. 

Edited by UserHN

12 hours ago, justvision said:

Likely to get a lot wtf or worse reactions, but I got to say this. I respect China market. CM is such mediocre movie compared to recent MCU solo such as Thor Ragnorok and Spider-Man Homecoming that it should not earn more than them. The heavy promotion and the tie-in to Endgame boosted its OD, but after that the movie has to face the audience on its own merit.

To those haters, and to those who demand China to show favor to MCU first female lead movie, China audience is like "I do what I would do, I like what I like", and "I got nothing to prove to you". 🙂😜

Sure except horrendous films like Venom did great there. Venom is easily one of the worst comic book type films I have ever seen and I love Tom Hardy. Saw it once and not a chance I would ever see it again. I have no more respect for it anymore than European or American markets. People have different tastes, for me Ant Man and the Wasp was incredibly boring and mediocre. I don't put Captain Marvel anywhere near the Hulk and that but it's nowhere near the top either. IMO of course.

• Like 1