Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

1 hour ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

The first one was all style and spectacle. Most of the characters were forgettable aside from Idris Elba ans Ron Perlman. 

As for the 2 pilots, I believe they needed to form some mental connection with the Jaegers and it was too much for 1 person to handle or something like that. 

I remember that element on the first one, but in this trailer it does not look like it is mentally heavy and it make it look like they do not show what the second pilot is doing on purpose.

Being hit does not seem to hurt them much either, not sure that trailer at least communicate the concept of what is going on here.

I love the complaints that the visual in this film seem not be as good as the original. Maybe that this film has a much smaller budget then the original had something to do with that.

I understand one of the reason's Del Toro basically walked from the film was that he felt the budget was way too low.

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I love the complaints that the visual in this film seem not be as good as the original. Maybe that this film has a much smaller budget then the original had something to do with that.

I understand one of the reason's Del Toro basically walked from the film was that he felt the budget was way too low.

It ALL has to do with the fact it is all day light.

It changes everything as far as CGI goes.

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Well yes that the main complain that they have reduced the budget (and everything) for a movie that does not make much sense if you do know go big with it.

Audience want big budget (obviously)

Edited by Barnack

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well yes that the main complain that they have reduced the budget (and everything) for a movie that does not make much sense if you do know go big with it.

Audience want big budget (obviously)

This could join the recent "Ben Hur" and "Samson" as examples of what happens when you try to do a film on a budget that is just plain too small for the story you are filming. The term is "Go Big or Go Home"..ie, there are some projects that if you can't get a big budget on, you are better off just not doing them.

39 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Now yall just need to admit to yourselves that the first was terrible too, a real low point for GDT

It was not terrible, it was an OK way to pleasantly waste some time,but it was GDT working way below his potential. And GDT skill and visual sense was the only thing that made a pretty silly grade B Sci Fi idea entertaining.

Though I enjoyed it, eve while watching I thought "COme on  Del Toro, you are capable of much better things".

I admit I do have hopes that GDT's Oscar win will get studios to take a second look at "The Mountains of Madness".

It's no secret that almost all the attempts to put H.P. Lovecraft's Cthuluhu Mythos on the screen have failed miserably..largely because much of the horror in Lovecraft's stories depends largely on the exact way he verbally tells the story (and that kind of story is always a real challenge to get on the screen) but if anybody can do it it's Del Toro.

It is ironic that the only really successful films of Lovecraft's work were the Reanimator films..and those were based on a very early story of Lovecraft which had nothing to do with his Cthuluhu mythos..and a story that Lovecraft himself dismissed as a horribly flased early work.

• Haha 1

I enjoyed the first movie, but seeing the trailers for this had my expectations really low. And for good reason.

Seems like they have somehow forgotten the events from the first movie. The pacing is horrid (there's a certain sub-plot that drags on way toooo long) it actually affected my enjoyment of the movie more than anything else. The editing has too many cuts. Boyega is the only one in the cast giving somewhat of a damn, everyone else was forgettable. The tone feels light and off to me. 

If you're seeing this, I suspect the only thing you may halfway enjoy are the fight scenes, there's a few that are decent. The Kaiju actually had some decent looking CGI. Some bits of the soundtrack from the first movie gets used again.

Never seeing it again

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

one of my favourite things i've read from the internet giving GDT career consulting on what his post-oscar move should be was a random redditor saying he should do Doctor Strange 2.

Don't you know that CBMs are the only things that exist anymore?

When I see comments like those, the unwritten thing is "Why don't you make something I would watch instead of your passion projects?"

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I enjoyed the first movie, but seeing the trailers for this had my expectations really low. And for good reason.

Seems like they have somehow forgotten the events from the first movie. The pacing is horrid (there's a certain sub-plot that drags on way toooo long) it actually affected my enjoyment of the movie more than anything else. The editing has too many cuts. Boyega is the only one in the cast giving somewhat of a damn, everyone else was forgettable. The tone feels light and off to me. 

If you're seeing this, I suspect the only thing you may halfway enjoy are the fight scenes, there's a few that are decent. The Kaiju actually had some decent looking CGI. Some bits of the soundtrack from the first movie gets used again.

Never seeing it again

Considering it's a good 22 minutes shorter than the first film, for it to have pacing issues is never a good sign. 

• Like 1