kayumanggi

DESPICABLE ME III | 770.2 M overseas ● 1034.8 M worldwide

9 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

In the Chinese forum, they say the release date is a bit better because it's in the summer vacation (DM2 was released in Jan '14 and Minions in August '15).

Minions In September.

DM3 In Summer vocation.Schools are all off.DM3 will have preview on July.1

Cars may release in July.

July.14.A week after DM3.not official comfirm yet.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

SCREEN

Illumination’s Despicable Me 3 has kicked off in six territories ahead of the rest of the world - Australia, India, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. The animation grossed $7.2m for a running total of $18.9m. There are still 64 markets left to open.

The family film debuted in India on $1.7m including previews, the biggest opening ever for Illumination in India. Australia held at number two in week two on $2.7m for an 11-day total of $7.8m and is keeping pace with Despicable Me 2 and Minions.

The film is holding at number two behind Transformers in Malaysia on $2m to date, $3.1m in the Philippines, $2.7m in Singapore, and $1.6m in Thailand. The Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig animation debuts in 44 territories along with North America this week.

• Like 1

DHD

DESPICABLE ME 3

Despicable Me 3
Universal Pictures

Illumination and Universal’s third Despicable pic is playing in six markets including Australia ahead of the rest of the world to tie in with school holidays. The international weekend estimate is $7.2M for a total of $18.9M so far. These are very early days with 64 markets still to open, notably China on July 7.

India was a No. 2 start behind Salman Khan’s Tubelight with $1.7M for the biggest Illumination opening ever there. In week 2, Australia is holding at No. 2 for an 11-day total of $7.8M. The film is keeping pace with Despicable Me 2 and Minions. Other releases so far include Malaysia ($2M), Philippines ($3.1M), Singapore ($2.7M) and Thailand ($1.6M).  

Next weekend, the film opens in 44 territories along with the U.S. and Canada.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

So its looking at 20-30% drop in local currency compared to minions. It may not beat DM2 OS at this rate. Probably looking at 600m OS. 

DM2 only did 52M in China.DM3 might easily hit 80-100M.Presale is strong.There is no blockbuster release in 2 weeks.Transformers disappointed.

Local films move to Late July or Early August.Spiderman,Apes,Nolan all of them can't release in Summer.May release Late August or Early September.Enough room for Gru and minions.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I hope this one won't gross another $billion

It definitely won't come close to a billion unless it goes absolutely bonkers in China (which it won't; will do much better than DM2 and Minions, but likely not much more than 100m). I think it's gonna end around 850m WW.

• Like 2

@Jason would be great if you can do a detailed OS projection (best case/worst case/average) whenever you have time like you did with SLOP last year. Here are detailed breakdowns of the film's opening in around 45 OS markets with 15 markets not yet opened (China, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, Italy, Switzerland being the big ones remaining). Screen and Deadline also have compared it, with today's exchange rates, to Frozen, Minions, DM2 and other big animated films so their comps should be interesting in the analysis. @peludo - also would be interested in your feedback since you and Jason are our ER and OS gurus.

SCREEN ANALYSIS

UNIVERSAL PICTURES INTERNATIONAL

Illumination’s Despicable Me 3 is the number one film worldwide this weekend after grossing $95.6m in 52 territories for an early total of $116.9m.

The Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig animation stands at $192.3m worldwide after North America’s $75.4m haul.

Despicable Me 3 opened in 46 territories this weekend and is number one in 44 of them.  The film also reclaimed the top spot in Australia in its third weekend there.

The family film is the biggest animated movie opening weekend of all time in Argentina, Brazil, Estonia, Latvia, Venezuela and the Middle East. Estonia’s opening of $304,000 and Latvia’s opening of $240,000 are the biggest opening weekends ever in those territories.

In addition, it is the biggest opening weekend of the Despicable Me franchise, including Minions, in 11 territories, including Brazil, Argentina, and Egypt.

Despicable Me 3 opened at number one in the UK on $14.7m for a 56% market share, setting the record as the biggest opening Saturday of all time for an animated film.  In Mexico, Despicable Me is number one on $13.5m and a 74% market share. Meanwhile, Brazil debuted on $7.5m and a 63% market share.

Russia debuted on $9.2m, Spain has generated $5.5m and 58% market share, while Argentina had a $4.4m debut and 76% market share. The Netherlands produced $3.2m for a first place debut.

Despicable Me 3 is performing ahead of all comps at the same point of releae, except Minions which grossed $140m, beating Despicable Me 2, Frozen, Zootopia, Ice Age 4, Finding Dory, Toy Story 3, and The Secret Life of Pets.

There are 15 more territories to release over the next two months. This weekend, Despicable Me 3 opens in China, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Trinidad and Iceland. 

DEADLINE

Turning back to DM3, Gru and his long-lost twin brother Dru added 46 markets this frame, scoring No. 1s in 44. The Steve Carell-starrer also has bragging rights to the biggest opening weekend ever for an animated film in such markets as Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela and the Middle East. Illumination likewise had its best start ever in those markets as well as Egypt, Finland, Peru, the UAE and more.

Bows for each of the franchise films, which includes the previous DM titles as well as Minions, were bested in Argentina, Brazil, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, the Middle East, Peru, Sweden, the UAE and Venezuela. Estonia and Latvia saw their biggest opening weekends ever for any film with DM3.

The lead market to start on the Kyle Balda/Pierre Coffin-helmed pic is the UK with $14.7M at No. 1 including a record-setting Saturday that was the biggest opening Saturday of all time for an animated film. At $13.5M in Mexico, DM3 had the second best opening weekend for an animated film ever, behind Minions. Russia ($9.2M), Brazil ($7.5M) and Spain ($5.5M) round out the top new openers.

Comps are not apples-to-apples given the staggered rollout pattern, but DM3 is running well ahead of its brethren, all except Minions which, in like-for-like markets and at today’s exchange rates was at $140M at this point in release. DM2 was at $99M. The UK and China have typically led markets for the franchise, although the initial Despicable movie did not release in the latter. This one lands there on July 7 with a fair bit of runway ahead of it as the last Hollywood movie that’s thus far been dated during what is typically a blackout period.

DESPICABLE ME 3

despicable-me-3.jpg?w=301&h=202&crop=1
Universal

Illumination/Universal’s Despicable Me 3snatched the top spot for the weekend with $95.6M from 52 markets. That lifts the offshore cume to $116.9M with numbers rolled in from the earlier soft international launch. Combined with domestic, the global total to date is $192.3M. Significant markets like China, France and Germany are still on deck.

DM3 is running well ahead of the previous installments, but 16% lower than Minions at the same point of release in like-for-like markets and at today’s exchange rates. While spinoff Minions is a fair comp, it’s not apples-to-apples given the storyline focus for the DMs is on Steve Carell’s Gru; these films also play older than Minions, an out-and-out phenomenon two years ago whose own sequel is due in 2020.

Drilling down into this weekend’s DM3 numbers, it was No. 1 in 44 of 46 new plays. In Australia’s 3rd weekend, it recaptured the top spot from Transformers 5. The launch was the biggest animated movie opening weekend of all time in Argentina, Brazil, Estonia, Latvia, Venezuela and the Middle East. In addition, Estonia’s opening of $304k and Latvia’s opening of $240k are the biggest opening weekends for all films ever.

DM3 also scored the biggest opening weekend for Illumination in Argentina, Brazil, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, the Middle East, Peru, the UAE and Venezuela. Of the franchise films, including Minionsm this one was tops in Argentina, Brazil, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, th Middle East, Peru, Sweden, the UAE and Venezuela.

In the UK, $14.7M was worth 56% market share — the Saturday was the biggest opening Saturday ever for an animated film. Also No. 1 in Mexico with 74% market share, the weekend estimate is $13.5M for the 2nd biggest opening weekend for an animated film, behind Minions. Brazil bowed at No. 1 with $7.5M and 63% market share. Russia opened No. 1 with $9.2M and 68% market share. Spain started strong at No. 1 with $5.5M and 58% market share — the 2nd best Illumination launch ever. At $4.4M, DM3 in Argentina is the market’s 3rd biggest opening of all films, behind only Fast & Furious 7 and 8.

The UK and China have typically led markets for the franchise, although the initial DM movie did not release in the latter. This one lands there on July 7 with a fair bit of runway ahead of it as the last Hollywood movie that’s thus far been dated during what is typically a blackout period.

CC: @a2knet @baumer (FYI on international numbers). 

• Like 2

On 30/6/2017 at 6:03 PM, keysersoze123 said:

So its looking at 20-30% drop in local currency compared to minions. It may not beat DM2 OS at this rate. Probably looking at 600m OS. 

Unfortunately, the loss from Minions has been minimal. With China being stronger this time, I'd say the billion isn't out of question.

• Like 1

I gotta say I disagree with your assessment but you might be right.

let me tell you why.

This movie commits a cardinal sin for an Illuminations film!!  

Whatever you wanted to say about other Illuminations movies lacking story or cleverness, the had so many crowd pleasing moments and were just plain funny.

This movie was both boring and unfunny.  The first one in the franchise to be boring and unfunny.

No way it has the same legs as Minions which had so much going for it.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Why would it fall so much?

It opened 16% lower than Minions in the same markets.

Minions did 820m OS...

It is expected to outgross Minions in China by 30-40m.

Minions would be closer to 700M in today's ER. U.K. and Latin America suffered considerable drops in their currencies since 2015. But I still think over 600M OS is locked for DM3, probably closer to 650M depending on China.

• Like 2