Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

11 minutes ago, Alli said:

I can't believe i'm about to defend Bay, but it's not his fault the script sucks. The Transformers movies needed a coherent writer.

He directs the shit out of his movies. But he has nothing to work with

He is the man in charge, the main creative force, a producer, that goes in the writing room talk to them in pre-production, would not surprise me if he choose the writers and some of the movie high concept. He probably even has the power to push production if he don't like were the script is (the way they talked about him deciding to still go on with T2 during the writer strike). He is not a director for hire with little control.

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

He is the man in charge, the main creative force, a producer, that goes in the writing room talk to them in pre-production, would not surprise me if he choose the writers and some of the movie high concept. He probably even has the power to push production if he don't like were the script is (the way they talked about him deciding to still go on with T2 during the writer strike). He is not a director for hire with little control.

Exactly.  But coupled with that.  He has the power to DO BETTER.  HE COULD MAKE BETTER MOVIES.  Directors do uncredited rewrites of their films all the time.  So yes, it is his fault that the scripts suck.  But he clearly doesn't have the ambition or interest in telling better stories when everything he's doing seems to be "working" at the box office and for Paramount and investors. 

It's movie-making for lowest-common-denominator audiences.  And it's almost disgusting, at this point.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

still don't think people should be writing this series obituary. Lots of series have been through a rough spot and didn't end there. 

Who is?  I don't think anyone's under the illusion that these cinematic debacles will end here, even though they should.

Lowest opening day for the franchise in the U.S.  Small happy sigh from me. 

By the way, this is why even Variety has problems getting trusted these days -- they can't even be accurate with casting notes.  See below.  So Tucci is the same character?  Was Tyrese in this movie??  I guess I wouldn't have known anyway, considering how chaotic everything is...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-transformers-the-last-knight-opening-day-1202475810/

Aside from Wahlberg, “The Last Knight” cast also includes Stanley Tucci reprising his role from “Age of Extinction,” alongside Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson, and John Turturro from the first three movies. Newcomers include Isabela Moner, who portrays a street kid who’s wise beyond her years, and Anthony Hopkins is in the key role of Sir Edmund Burton, an astronomer and historian who lives with several Transformers on an estate in the British countryside.

Edited by Macleod

52 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Lowest opening day for the franchise in the U.S.  Small happy sigh from me. 

By the way, this is why even Variety has problems getting trusted these days -- they can't even be accurate with casting notes.  See below.  So Tucci is the same character?  Was Tyrese in this movie??  I guess I wouldn't have known anyway, considering how chaotic everything is...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-transformers-the-last-knight-opening-day-1202475810/

Thats false haha Tucci does NOT play the same character and Tyresse is not in this movie at all. I was waiting for him the whole time. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood

1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Thats false haha Tucci does NOT play the same character and Tyresse is not in this movie at all. I was waiting for him the whole time. 

He was cut then. He was an announced cast member and shows up in a trailer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

He was cut then. He was an announced cast member and shows up in a trailer.

http://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/1104536/tyrese-gibson-transformers-the-last-knight-robert-epps-josh-duhamel-mark-wahlberg-michael-bay

According to Tyrese:

“I’m not in the next one,” he explained. “So the truth is when we were shooting Fast 8, I closed my deal for Transformers 5, and I was supposed to go from Fast 8 to T5.

“But because they shot a lot of the movie in Europe, my schedule didn’t allow for me to go from Atlanta to London in between those days.

“I mean, I was p****d. The goal was for me and Josh Duhamel to come back and surprise the fans, that two of the guys from the original Transformers were back. Josh Duhamel was available and I wasn’t. So I was p****d.”

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

That black dude was very similar to Tyrese then (it was a military running, seemed like him, it was a shot from a bit of a distance) :thinking: 

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

What's the main gripe people have with the TF films? Style over substance? Too many explosions? 

TF1-3 are dumb but fun and the action scenes are good, TF4 was dumb and hella boring. But yeah it's the whole "style over substance" that most people have a problem with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That black dude was very similar to Tyrese then (it was a military running, seemed like him, it was a shot from a bit of a distance) :thinking: 

Yeah, he's in a couple of close-ups, on the plane, etc.  Way to play it off, Bay. 

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Tyrese isn't in the movie at all. :lol: Just because there's a black guy in the movie doesn't mean it's Tyrese damn guys.

The dude they cast has a very similar look -- bald head, goatee. 

Edited by Macleod

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Tyrese isn't in the movie at all. :lol: Just because there's a black guy in the movie doesn't mean it's Tyrese damn guys.

Again, it was a shot from a distance of a military dude running with a bald head. I assumed it was him because I thought he was in the movie.