AdamKendall

Space Jam: A New Legacy | July 16 2021 | WB | Malcolm D. Lee to direct, Ryan Coogler producing. Lebron James to star

On 3/9/2020 at 5:55 PM, WittyUsername said:

This is starting to sound like WB’s answer to Ralph Breaks the Internet, which is kind of lame. I can only hope that there’ll at least be more hand-biting humor in this case, since WB is generally less obsessed with maintaining a squeaky clean image compared to Disney. 

More like WB and Lebron James dunking on Kingdom Hearts and Ralph.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Omfg, I heard that 

Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

lmao, who is coming up with these ideas?

Bugs Bunny about to get the old in-out

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Omfg, I heard that 

Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

lmao, who is coming up with these ideas?

Spoiler

I am very scared to see him and Pepe Le Pew together

The original was no Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and its lasting legacy was contributed by a man who is currently serving time in jail for a lengthy list of sexual abuse. The NBA should consider rebooting Air Bud before this. Reboot it with Cats. It can't be any worse than that awful film directed by an award winning director.

Edited by ThePhasmid

Looking at the box office for the original movie, it occurred to me that it actually made less money in North America than Star Trek: First Contact. With the way the movie is talked about, you would think it was this major 90s cultural event, but even for 1996, the box office wasn’t exactly Earth shattering. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Looking at the box office for the original movie, it occurred to me that it actually made less money in North America than Star Trek: First Contact. With the way the movie is talked about, you would think it was this major 90s cultural event, but even for 1996, the box office wasn’t exactly Earth shattering. 

A lot of kids likely watched it on video or TV.

Yeah, for kids of that era, Space Jam was a gigantic cultural milestone, though more of that status is owed to its shelf life on video afterward than to its theatrical run. It was a theatrical hit, no doubt - it did open at #1 in a competitive November weekend, after all. It also had a pretty massive advertising blitz with tons of tie-ins. The problem as far as its theatrical release went was that Disney gave an even bigger, even more effective push to their live action 101 Dalmatians remake that opened two weeks later, and that emerged as the big family blockbuster of the season and cut Space Jam's legs short.

Anecdotally, I was in kindergarten at the time, and I remember a few of my friends going to see it theatrically (I did not). But once it hit video that spring, it felt like just about everyone my age saw it. We even watched it for movie day on a Friday afternoon at school that spring.

I too am waiting for news as to if they're going to hand draw the movie.

Weirdly I was talking about Space Jam to my dad last night.  We went to see everything when I was a kid, and we didn't see this, despite being huge Looney Tunes fans - plus I was frequently decked out in Jordan Air gear.  

We concluded we didn't go because we recalled it looking like a poor man's Roger Rabbit.  This is exactly why the live action/animated hybrid in its most traditional form never really went anywhere - it was too damn difficult to do, and WFRR set the bar so high it was almost pointless trying to take it on.  I mean, they haven't even made a sequel to Zemeckis's classic for that very reason.

Yet with this Jam sequel, if it isn't going to be hand drawn then what's the appeal?  You might as well drop LeBron into their world, than have the Tunes in ours if they're going to be CG.  Even with the 'not as good as RR' effort of the original, there was still some magic to be had seeing hand-drawn mixing with live action.

I do not want to see computer animated looney tunes characters in a live action movie.  It'd be pissing over Chuck Jones and everything the brand and characters stand for.  Sonic and the Smurfs do not have the tradition and legacy of Looney Tunes, so I hope they respect the form of hand drawn and try to make something that's worth the 25 years it's taken for them to get round to following it up.  It will certainly be easier to make as you can CG the live action objects they interact with.  But if I have to watch a CG Bugs Bunny that resembles the form of what they did with Sonic the Hedgehog - count me out.  

DRAW THE CHARACTERS!!  The ones we all love.  It's so rare to see these days that I guarantee that will form the biggest appeal to those on the fence.

Speaking of Roger Rabbit - man if they did do a sequel with Zemeckis (I know it's been written and mooted for many years), and they promised to at least hand draw the characters like before - that would be some event.  I would much rather he made that movie than the live action Pinocchio he has in the works.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:46 PM, WittyUsername said:

Jumanji wasn't either a major event or mega hit in the 90s, nor it was culturally omnipresent before the new movies. Doesn't mean the new one will blow up like Jumanji but it's certainly way more remembered than the Star Trek movie.

33 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Jumanji wasn't either a major event or mega hit in the 90s, nor it was culturally omnipresent before the new movies. Doesn't mean the new one will blow up like Jumanji but it's certainly way more remembered than the Star Trek movie.

It’s definitely more remembered. No question about that.