AdamKendall

Space Jam: A New Legacy | July 16 2021 | WB | Malcolm D. Lee to direct, Ryan Coogler producing. Lebron James to star

I believe Space Jam is WAG's highest grossing non Lego film OW wise, in fact it's only $2m off from what The Lego Movie 2 did on its OW and that film didn't have HBO Max.

I think WAG will be IP driven for its film and indeed looking at the slate, there is no original films planned. Everything is either based on something owned by Warner Bros or another familiar source material like Dr Seuss. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I believe Space Jam is WAG's highest grossing non Lego film OW wise, in fact it's only $2m off from what The Lego Movie 2 did on its OW and that film didn't have HBO Max.

I think WAG will be IP driven for its film and indeed looking at the slate, there is no original films planned. Everything is either based on something owned by Warner Bros or another familiar source material like Dr Seuss. 

Bleak and depressing 

"It’s absolutely frightening to imagine being trapped in a world where algorithms are in charge of all the “content” we can see, not just because they’re suggesting that content to us but because they’re creating it, too. Or at least because they’re strongly influencing the direction in which the money flows."

https://www.vox.com/22576116/space-jam-2-review-new-legacy-lebron-algorithm

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Macleod said:

"It’s absolutely frightening to imagine being trapped in a world where algorithms are in charge of all the “content” we can see, not just because they’re suggesting that content to us but because they’re creating it, too. Or at least because they’re strongly influencing the direction in which the money flows."

https://www.vox.com/22576116/space-jam-2-review-new-legacy-lebron-algorithm

I think there's a lot to be said about how movie ironically captures the direction Hollywood is moving towards and it all feels dystopian, but I don't think the movie is geniunely self-aware of something like that unlike RPO.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

I know what I was going into with the IP stuffing - that seems like the only thing WAG feels comfortable doing - but when the Looney Tunes feel like set dressing in a Space Jam movie, something has gone wrong.

• Like 1

So, the critics blew both big kid movies this summer...

Space Jam 2 is unironically more fun and entertaining than Luca, and thus a better film.

I gave Luca a C, truly only for its art vs its entertainment (which was much, much lower).

I give Space Jam 2 a B/B-, and my boys gave it an A.  It's so nicely done between the 2D and 3D animation switch.  While it takes awhile to get going (see why it's not gonna approach A level), once it does and the Looney Tunes appear, it's everything you want in an "easy, breezy, beautiful" summer kid movie:)...

Funny fact - theater audience was all over the place for the discount Tuesday afternoon.  3 families with kids, a row of 17-19 year old men with one woman, and 2 older white gentlemen, one with a walker.  It was like the UN at this screening, which is exactly why the WB movie won the weekend.  It did cross over everywhere, and everyone seemed to enjoy the film. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1