Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I definitely think it’s a mistake to lift the review embargo so late in the game, unless the movie is truly bad. 

It´s not late that way, when the movie is truly bad they lifted hours before previews, not 2 days prior 

And reactions will be out 10 days prior, so they´re not hiding the movie, which then would be worrying 

Yes, it´s too close, but for some reason that´s the rule with Disney recently. NWH, BP2 and Thor 4 embargos dropped with the exact same strategy and only 1 of them wasn´t well received.

Edited by ThomasNicole

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It´s not late that way, when the movie is truly bad they lifted hours before previews, not 2 days prior 

And reactions will be out 10 days prior, so they´re not hiding the movie, which then would be worrying 

Yes, it´s too close, but for some reason that´s the rule with Disney recently. NWH, BP2 and Thor 4 embargos dropped with the exact same strategy and only 1 of them wasn´t well received.

NWH not Disney though, swap it with DS2. But DS2 also didn't allow reactions until that Tuesday. This strategy is identical to BP2 and Thor 4, and those two movies themselves had very different reception, so I don't think it means much. 

• Like 4

Man, how quickly peeps forget, but this is also the SW model (non-Solo edition). Disney likes to do this for their event movies, especially December ones.

Wouldn't be a surprise if this had an early review lift.  It 100% isn't a surprise that it's a Tuesday lift. 

At least it isn't a surprise to me.

Edited by Porthos
moved a sentence for better flow/clarity of point
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

YouTube views and social media reaction is so weak yet again. 

In every movie each time a new trailer drop the views stats also drop, there's nothing unusual about it. 

And they release another full trailer like 20 days ago (which have pretty similar views to the already huge teaser so there wasn't anything weak about it). 

The trailer yesterday was much more to announce the tickets than anything else, and it's doing it's job.

The reveiew emabargo dropping that late is fine. Disney has done it with almost every movie now and WB did it with The Batman aswell. I would be more worried if they dropped the reactions embargo later. I would argue it´s actually smart of them to drop the embargo that week. Build up the Buzz at that week instead of a week before. That´s just me tho

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Man, how quickly peeps forget, but this is also the SW model (non-Solo edition). Disney likes to do this for their event movies, especially December ones.

Wouldn't be a surprise if this had an early review lift.  It 100% isn't a surprise that it's a Tuesday lift. 

At least it isn't a surprise to me.

Yep. IIRC TFA lifted even later on wednesday and we all know regardless of how fans feel about the trilogy now, that film had EXCELLENT critical reception.

It is true that early lift speaks confidence towards a film but the opposite is not necessarily true, even moreso when preview embargo is getting lifted fairly early.

Obviously this doesn't mean the film will certainly get raves, but I don't think that was certain regardless anyway, even as incredible as Cameron's track record is.

Edited by JustLurking

good news keeps dropping everyday, feels like momentum is on our side avabros

A snippet from an interview with Cliff Curtis who plays Tonowari in The Way of Water

Q: so can we talk avatar 2?

Yeah, happy to. So, I’m in Auckland now, but I was in Wellington with James Cameron just yesterday and he was showing me some new footage. I was stunned beyond belief — by how beautiful and emotional it is, and the genius of the sensations it gives you. I can’t even describe what I experienced, just watching a few clips and sequences. I can’t wait to see the whole movie. I genuinely think it’s going to be one of the most amazing cinematic experiences I’ve ever had. I don’t think the world’s really ready for what’s going to happen. It’s beyond exciting. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/avatar-2-cliff-curtis-james-cameron-interview-muru-1235267886/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Yep. IIRC TFA lifted even later on wednesday and we all know regardless of how fans feel about the trilogy now, that film had EXCELLENT critical reception.

It is true that early lift speaks confidence towards a film but the opposite is not necessarily true, even moreso when preview embargo is getting lifted fairly early.

Obviously this doesn't mean the film will certainly get raves, but I don't think that was certain regardless anyway, even as incredible as Cameron's track record is.

Disney has been gun shy after Eternals early reviews backfired so spectacularly on them.

It will be mighty impressive if this scores higher than Wakanda Forever but I doubt it. 

Edited by Spidey Freak