Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

All I'm willing to predict for China is that the screens they do it show it on will sell really damn well. I'll leave it to the China experts to figure out what that means in $$$

Simple. The lower the Covid-case in China, the higher the box office gross. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Can't believe I beat you folks to this???  

‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ on Track to Open to $150 Million to $175 Million

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-2-way-of-water-box-office-tracking-1235440832/

they posted it in the tracking thread!

I'll be sad if my 190m ow prediction is too low, i should have never have doubted myself

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Macleod said:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-2-way-of-water-box-office-tracking-1235440832/

Think this range is a bit too limited,  it could land here but I can also definitely see a higher OW happening atm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Basically what i said ages in this thread. I think people predicting $200+mil are not thinking it through (although its crtainly possible to hit that.

This films is a 4 hour slot with commercials and previews, that combined with it not really being a fanboy driven film like a Marvel film, means IMO a $150-180mil OW, but very good legs, 5x legs if not more for me.

Edited by stuart360

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Better than i expected. Isn't tracking usually quite conservative?

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

A $185 million opening weekend which could lead to a $275 million week #1 total, assuming typical Cameron legs I could see this easily ending up with over $700 million domestic. If week #2 only drops 20-30% we're off to the races. This will be an easy $2B + China movie. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cap said:

Wish Monkey Paw GIF by Leroy Patterson

Don't think I didn't consider that as I was typing!!!

The monkey paw probably curled earlier here:

On 11/19/2022 at 2:30 PM, Porthos said:

FWIW, I think I'm still around +/- 750m DOM total.  How it gets there, I have no idea.  Wouldn't surprise me at all to do much better than that (stars aligning) and also wouldn't surprise me to see it do less (how much less, I have no idea whatsoever thanks to the wildcards at play).

and that post you just quoted was me realizing it. :sadfleck:

• Haha 1

So does anyone still think A2 is going to make less than 2 billion worldwide now?
With it tracking at $150m-$200m opening weekend right now domestically, and with a china release confirmed. I think it's looking crazy unlikely to go under $2b even entirely from a logical non-view fan view.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

So does anyone still think A2 is going to make less than 2 billion worldwide now?
With it tracking at $150m-$200m opening weekend right now domestically, and with a china release confirmed. I think it's looking crazy unlikely to go under $2b even entirely from a logical non-view fan view.

If you look on reddit you'll find people still debating whether or not it's going to make $1 billion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Covid is still a massive factor with China. Combine that with WE2 coming out a month later you could only be looking at 100-200 million USD. 2 billion is more likely now... But not a forgone conclusion

6 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

A $185 million opening weekend which could lead to a $275 million week #1 total, assuming typical Cameron legs I could see this easily ending up with over $700 million domestic. If week #2 only drops 20-30% we're off to the races. 

Christmas Eve will have a big impact on its second weekend drop. If it opens to $185 Million and drops 30% 1 Billion Domestic is happening. If it drops 20% 2 billion is possible. Lol. 

1 hour ago, hw64 said:

If you look on reddit you'll find people still debating whether or not it's going to make $1 billion.

It's always curious to me how there is a large portion of people completely uninformed about box office in r/boxoffice, it's not like it is the Youtube comment section we're talking about. You'd think they gather there precisely because they are interested in box office...