Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

49 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Well, I think Avatar 2 is going to be a pretty good movie. James Cameron has been focused on making the film the best it can be. I'm sure that it can blow people's minds. I'm still not sure how excited I am for it, but I'm definitely more excited for it than I am for other sequels that are similarly far away from release.

One main thing I'm not sure about is 3D when it comes to the DOM market.  

Speaking only for the DOM market, it is on a clear downturn and has been for a while.  On the other hand, I presume that Cameron will want as many showings as possible to be 3D, as he's a clear believer in it.  So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he/Disney mandates that as many showings as possible be in 3D for various Avatar sequels.

On my tracks of major movies over the last couple of years, I've noticed a couple of things.  1) Again in the DOM market, 3D is declining, and at really good clip.  2) Some films have a higher local 3D screen penetration than others, and I presume director preference is at least a little at play.

And Cameron has more than enough clout to try to get as many 3D showings as possible.

Now all of the above is DOM only.  I know in other markets (Germany, India, China, for some examples) 3D is either King or Dominant.  So I ain't talking about international gross here.

But how the DOM market reacts to a 3D heavy film is something I'm really interested in seeing.  I presume most folks will just shrug their shoulders and pay the upcharge.  But it's also clear that all things being equal even for films where one would think 3D would have a benefit, that the DOM is drifting more and more away from 3D if they're given half the chance.

What happens if the 2D:3D split for DOM showings is 20:80 instead of what seems to be the new norm of 80:20?  Sure, there's the wow and spectacle angle, so don't worry I ain't discounting that.  But I also was kinda expecting a decent sized uptick on 3D for TLK and I didn't see that in local sales.  Which... makes me curious.  Not doubtful (I learned a LONG time ago to never doubt JC).  Not skeptical (ditto).  Just curious.

Can/will Avatar 2/3/4/5 reignite a 3D preference, at least for his films?  Will the 2D:3D screen split be mandated to be heavily 3D?  I'm really really curious to see how it all plays out.  Fascinated, even.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

no need to start something. Avatar and Endgame are both alright movies.

Yeah, my bad. I thought I was in the Fanboy Wars thread for some reason. I edited the post.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

What happens if the 2D:3D split for DOM showings is 20:80 instead of what seems to be the new norm of 80:20?  Sure, there's the wow and spectacle angle, so don't worry I ain't discounting that.  But I also was kinda expecting a decent sized uptick on 3D for TLK and I didn't see that in local sales.  Which... makes me curious.  Not doubtful (I learned a LONG time ago to never doubt JC).  Not skeptical (ditto).  Just curious.

Can/will Avatar 2/3/4/5 reignite a 3D preference, at least for his films?  Will the 2D:3D screen split be mandated to be heavily 3D?  I'm really really curious to see how it all plays out.  Fascinated, even.

I think the best strategy for Avatar 2 is to have a 50:50 or so 2D/3D ratio domestically and let audiences pick. There's no doubt that even in domestic Market, Avatar 2 will have a higher premium showing percentage than most if not all other blockbusters, people will be very aware of the visual spectacle nature of upcoming Avatar films. 3D may be on the decline domestically, but once in a while, there's got to be an exception (Gravity for example). 

80:20 3D ratio might discourage some ticket buyers though, wouldn't want that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I think the best strategy for Avatar 2 is to have a 50:50 or so 2D/3D ratio domestically and let audiences pick. There's no doubt that even in domestic Market, Avatar 2 will have a higher premium showing percentage than most if not all other blockbusters, people will be very aware of the visual spectacle nature of upcoming Avatar films. 3D may be on the decline domestically, but once in a while, there's got to be an exception (Gravity for example). 

80:20 3D ratio might discourage some ticket buyers though, wouldn't want that.

I think where Disney/Cameron might try to tip the scales is putting all/nearly all PLF prints* as 3D.  Or mandate a 3:1 3D:2D print on PLF screenings.  Making PLF 3D heavy is one place I still see recent films trying to manipulate things and it wouldn't surprise me one iota to see it happen here.

Honestly, might be a tiny bit surprised to see any 2D PLF showings.

Like I said, fascinating to see it all play out. :)

* Yes, I know they're not prints anymore.  I'm an olds though, so habits die hard and all that. :lol:

Edited by Porthos

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think where Disney/Cameron might try to tip the scales is putting all/nearly all PLF prints* as 3D.  Or mandate a 3:1 3D:2D print on PLF screenings.  Making PLF 3D heavy is one place I still see recent films trying to manipulate things and it wouldn't surprise me one iota to see it happen here.

Honestly, might be a tiny bit surprised to see any 2D PLF showings.

Like I said, fascinating to see it all play out. :)

* Yes, I know they're not prints anymore.  I'm an olds though, so habits die hard and all that. :lol:

I think they should not do that. Force people that can't good seats but 3d Imax sucks big time versus traditional IMAX or Dolby. I loathe it. 

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I think they should not do that. Force people that can't good seats but 3d Imax sucks big time versus traditional IMAX or Dolby. I loathe it. 

I didn't say they should do it, I simply predicted they would.  If forced to guess, I think 3:1 3D:2D PLF showings is probably what's going to happen. 

What they also might do is try to get theater to upgrade on projectors.  That's another place where I'm interested in seeing the undeniable clout of James Cameron play out. 

I think it is pretty undeniable that some theater projectors aren't as... crisp and sharp as others. Or as good at displaying darker colors.

So that's somewhere else I'm fascinated in seeing: Whether or not there's an attempt to get theaters to upgrade their equipment.   Here I'm not as certain about James Cameron getting his way though.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I didn't say they should do it, I simply predicted they would.  If forced to guess, I think 3:1 3D:2D PLF showings is probably what's going to happen. 

What they also might do is try to get theater to upgrade on projectors.  That's another place where I'm interested in seeing the undeniable clout of James Cameron play out. 

I think it is pretty undeniable that some theater projectors aren't as... crisp and sharp as others. Or as good at displaying darker colors.

So that's somewhere else I'm fascinated in seeing: Whether or not there's an attempt to get theaters to upgrade their equipment.   Here I'm not as certain about James Cameron getting his way though.  

Oh I know I'm just saying I hope they don't. I agree they will. End game pushed 3d hard too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

God Twitter and Reddit is a cesspool now that there's a new #1. At this rate Avatar 2 should make 3 billion just to shut everyone the hell up.

Didn't bother with Twitter, Reddit though from what I've seen has been quite kind to Cameron and Avatar, at least in r/boxoffice

One of the side effect of Avatar unloading the worldwide crown, is that some of the unjustified hatred is also being unloaded. I predict a sudden spur of new found appreciation for Avatar, I think it has already started.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

God Twitter and Reddit is a cesspool now that there's a new #1. At this rate Avatar 2 should make 3 billion just to shut everyone the hell up.

Twitter is always shit. Reddit is nice I don't think you read it carefully

They should push 3D and other formats hard, making the theater visit worthwile.

The only reason 3D was even so prevalent was Avatar, before that you could have looked at the numbers and predicted it wont catch on. 

Theaters will upgrade their stuff the second they realise there is money to be made and at some point they will just have to anyway with streaming, tv and so on are steadily improving.

The atmosphere here is more toxic than on reddit, there atleast the shitt, comments are downvoted.

• Like 1

Just one thing i want to say to all that. Deceiving the forum by making multiple accounts is kind of a shitty thing to do. That's all.

Hopefully the off-topic shitposting is over and instead on individual users we can concentrate on the films again.

Edited by Elessar
  • Thanks 1

Some of the best imax 3d screens I've seen still sucked in comparison to Dolby or IMAX 2d. Plus the headaches and fuzzy screen if you take the glasses off for one second. Paying $5 extra for a worse product....ugh.

Love that many Dolby have the nice recliners. 

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Theaters would be insane to invest in 3D. It's trash

28 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Some of the best imax 3d screens I've seen still sucked in comparison to Dolby or IMAX 2d. Plus the headaches and fuzzy screen if you take the glasses off for one second. Paying $5 extra for a worse product....ugh.

Love that many Dolby have the nice recliners. 

I agreed 3d sucks and adds nothing so even if it was free, I would always pick 2d

But I disagree about IMAX 3d, while still bad, it is better than regular 3D.  But that's just my experience and I still would pick 2d every time if I have the choice even for Avatar 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 75Live said:

I agreed 3d sucks and adds nothing so even if it was free, I would always pick 2d

But I disagree about IMAX 3d, while still bad, it is better than regular 3D.  But that's just my experience and I still would pick 2d every time if I have the choice even for Avatar 2

That's what I mean imax 3d  is worse than IMAX 2d. I pick regular 2d over imax 3d