Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, Agafin said:

$1 = €0,98, £0,83, ¥136...

The dollar is at a 20 year high currently. This is almost early Harry Potter/Lotr bad. Seems like Avatar won't be as lucky with exchange rates this time around. 

that might (might) change by september

44 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

9nq550wy56a91.jpg?width=2048&format=pjpg

Me and the boys seeing the box office billies flying in fast in december

I posted this shot earlier under a spoiler tag, now that it's out in the open. Any thoughts on what the hell Spider is doing with the RDA (Wainfleet and possibly Norm in the background)? 

Some interesting shots posted in the Empire feature. 

eqv1movy56a91.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

gs4tuovy56a91.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

7abg4pvy56a91.jpg?width=2048&format=pjpg

57 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I posted this shot earlier under a spoiler tag, now that it's out in the open. Any thoughts on what the hell Spider is doing with the RDA (Wainfleet and possibly Norm in the background)? 

I assume it's a 'conflicted about where he belongs' storyline, Jakes a stern Dad which pushes him away, the RDA pretend to be accepting and do some fun stuff with him to use him etc.. I hope it's handled well, that stuff from teenagers can come of a little CW. 

Edited by FilmFincher

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I heard Avatar 2 runtime is at 3 hour 15min+

Whatever it ends up, it's going to be over 3 hours most likely.  

Well, for the un-devoted folks, the last 15 minutes will probably be the enormous credits, anyway...  😉

Edited by Macleod

On 6/25/2022 at 8:05 PM, Deuce66 said:

He made it clear that Avatar The Way of Water will be mastered specifically for every type of projection system to ensure "best quality". I don't think he expect owners to upgrade their systems at all. 

I was in a function with two cinema circuits. The purpose of the function is to determine if the expansion 4K laser projector is a worthy investment. We run few clips and Avatar 2 teaser was one of the clip. After comparing the before-after of 2k vs 4k by switching in between the standard hall and 4k hall back-and-forth, I can say the 3d effect in laser 4k is noticeably better. We even pause a few scenes to mark the difference. If I were to quantify it, it is at least 30%-50% better in term of brightness, depth and contrast., compared to the regular 2k. It just make 3D more 3D. The problem is, majority of the standard screen is still in 2K (at least at where I am) and there are only handful of 4K screen, not to mention the one with laser-based projection. 

It is saddening to realise just how most people will end up having watching a sub-optimal version of the film. However, Avatar 2 can really kick off the first major transition in a decade as cinema upgrading their projector to 4k in large scale, like how Avatar 1 sent off a shockwave of converting film to digital in early 2010s. 

Still, hope more cinema can embrace the 4K technology as soon as possible before year-end. It is actually not too hard to have a 4k projector but the key is how to convince cinema to deploy 4k to a larger scale.  

• Like 3

On 7/7/2022 at 2:12 PM, Deuce66 said:

posted this shot earlier under a spoiler tag, now that it's out in the open. Any thoughts on what the hell Spider is doing with the RDA (Wainfleet and possibly Norm in the background)? 

On 7/7/2022 at 3:09 PM, FilmFincher said:

I assume it's a 'conflicted about where he belongs' storyline, Jakes a stern Dad which pushes him away, the RDA pretend to be accepting and do some fun stuff with him to use him etc.. I hope it's handled well, that stuff from teenagers can come of a little CW. 

I'm guessing he wants to be a Navi like the rest of his family and the RDA "befriend" him with promises of giving him what he wants. Obviously that'll lead to a betrayal all around and the ramifications of that will play out in the film. 

- Cameron argues the improvements in technology mean the characters look "more sophisticated, more real", but acknowledges, "I don't think the audience gives you points for that. If they're swept away by the story, they just go with it." He is aiming for a "dynamic equipoise between that which is beautiful and that which is terrifying." 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

Seeing so much horrid CGI these days in 2022 movies I'm now eagerly waiting to finally watch a movie with proper CGI.

I would be hella surprised if the CGI in this isn't absolute top-of-the-line

It will be the best CGI we’ve ever seen in a film. 

I was gonna hold off rewatching the original for the re-release (haven't seen since 2010) but couldn't wait. Insane how well it holds up visually, still looks better than just about anything since...and then the trailer for 2 makes it look dated! That final battle is not talked about enough, it's one of the greatest action set pieces in a blockbuster ever. The 3D at home is pretty good but I'm sure it'll be insane in theatres.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I was gonna hold off rewatching the original for the re-release (haven't seen since 2010) but couldn't wait. Insane how well it holds up visually, still looks better than just about anything since...and then the trailer for 2 makes it look dated! That final battle is not talked about enough, it's one of the greatest action set pieces in a blockbuster ever. The 3D at home is pretty good but I'm sure it'll be insane in theatres.

I always 'joke' that Avatar 2 will be what regular tent-pole blockbusters will look like in 2035.

The remastered rerelease is going to be interesting in september, I wonder what improvements they're going to do. It's going to be 4k no doubt, but I wonder if they'll use the upgraded render systems and tech from Avatar 2.

Maybe even the HFR as a test? Upgraded 3D?

I think HFR as a test run would be really smart, though the live action shots probably were shot in 24fps

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I always 'joke' that Avatar 2 will be what regular tent-pole blockbusters will look like in 2035.

The remastered rerelease is going to be interesting in september, I wonder what improvements they're going to do. It's going to be 4k no doubt, but I wonder if they'll use the upgraded render systems and tech from Avatar 2.

Maybe even the HFR as a test? Upgraded 3D?

I think HFR as a test run would be really smart, though the live action shots probably were shot in 24fps

The Titanic rerelease apparently has HFR so he could apply it to Avatar 1 I suppose. I think the big improvements for the remaster is mostly gonna be enhanced depth in the 3D and Atmos sound. I do agree though that the cgi will likely be re-rendered in the new software with some upscaling. Perhaps some AI upscaling enhancements too? That’s shown promise, fans remastered 480p copies of Deep Space Nine into HD. They’re not gonna redo it all from scratch to match 2 but it’ll still look better, just maybe not a night and day difference.  

Edited by TheDude391