CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

43 minutes ago, TMP said:

Inside Out didn't get a Best Picture nomination, so... doubt.

And there is a reason for this.

In 2009 and 2010 when UP and TS3 got best picture nominations, the amount of best picture nominee was mandated at 10, which isn't that different from now (almost always between 8-9), except that in those years, the system allows members to choose up to 10 films for their personal nomination list, which is why the slate for those two years looked so refreshing (Up, TS3, District 9, Inception etc...), now even though the system still technically allows up to 10 BP nominee, each member only nominate 5, so they naturally go back to their old habit of nominating more "baity" movies. Academy members tend to be more "adventurous" if they allow an expanded slate for nomination. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCsoft said:

And there is a reason for this.

In 2009 and 2010 when UP and TS3 got best picture nominations, the amount of best picture nominee was mandated at 10, which isn't that different from now (almost always between 8-9), except that in those years, the system allows members to choose up to 10 films for their personal nomination list, which is why the slate for those two years looked so refreshing (Up, TS3, District 9, Inception etc...), now even though the system still technically allows up to 10 BP nominee, each member only nominate 5, so they naturally go back to their old habit of nominating more "baity" movies. Academy members tend to be more "adventurous" if they allow an expanded slate for nomination. 

True, though I'm not sure IO would have made it under the old rules either. TS is animation royalty. I can't remember who revealed it, but I know someone with insider knowledge said several years ago that TS1 missed a BP nom back in 96 by a very tiny margin. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

True, though I'm not sure IO would have made it under the old rules either. TS is animation royalty. I can't remember who revealed it, but I know someone with insider knowledge said several years ago that TS1 missed a BP nom back in 96 by a very tiny margin. 

That's definitely believable, back in the days when Best animated feature category wasn't created, there was no other way to award them, so even when there's only 5 slots, truly exceptional animations still could receive large amounts of support, that's how Beauty and the Beast got in anyway, Toy Story was definitely special, Wall-E might not be too far away either. 

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

That's definitely believable, back in the days when Best animated feature category wasn't created, there was no other way to award them, so even when there's only 5 slots, truly exceptional animations still could receive large amounts of support, that's how Beauty and the Beast got in anyway, Toy Story was definitely special, Wall-E might not be too far away either. 

Wall-E getting a snub at the awards in 2009 was a helping hand to Up getting nominated the next year. The big change up over the next couple years was a direct response to specifically Wall-E and The Dark Knight getting passed over.

9 hours ago, UserHN said:

If it's super well received like TS3, then we can't rule it out. Although I'm having my doubts. I think TS4 will have 95% on RT, which is very good, but it won't match the 100%/100%/99% of the previous three.

It could get 100% with a 9.5 rating average and it wouldn't get a best picture nod.

On 8/16/2015 at 9:29 AM, WrathOfHan said:

TS4 will decrease from 3. I know DM3 won't match 2's box office domestically and given Minions' legs in the US it's possible it goes below 300M. WW it can probably be another Ice Age.

hmm.

On 6/9/2019 at 4:35 AM, Shawn said:

This weekend has convinced me of how ready this movie is to pounce on the summer box office. Get ready, folks.

Well, only because Aladdin will have had enough by then. :) And there's nothing else on.

But taken by itself, we can all agree TS4 is the most useless film ever.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Well, only because Aladdin will have had enough by then. :) And there's nothing else on.

But taken by itself, we can all agree TS4 is the most useless film ever.

Okay, make your club then. Just so I can firmly write in it that I'm out. Lol. Presales indicate that this will outgross TS3 domestically, in its OW at least. Don't know about international but it seems like the GA are saving their money on TS4, FFH, and TLK this summer.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

If this is Pixar-good, would definitely be a nice shot in the arm for their future with Unkrich and Lasseter gone. Cooley would be the first "new face" to establish himself as one to watch.

I still hope they wait awhile to make another sequel; I want them to hold to their more originals promise even if half of them are crap.

• Like 1