CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

btw the whole "unnecessary" complaint is dumb. Like 1% or less of movies could be considered  "necessary" lmao

Or unnecessary, for that matter.

Is it entertaining? Or in a different direction, thought provoking? Did it illicit an emotional response (and not a negative one)?

Then it justified its existence, full stop.  

get what folks are saying, especially with the closure of TS3. I totes do.  But, eh.  Whatever.  See my above comment as my rebuttal. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

btw the whole "unnecessary" complaint is dumb. Like 1% or less of movies could be considered  "necessary" lmao

Deep, bro.

Toy Story 4 can’t shake a feeling of being redundant. And when it aims for the tears, there’s a distinct feeling of “This stung more last time”. It’s the nature of sequels.

Edited by ViewerAnon

(Collider member, not sure if RT approved or not)

Think I'll call it a night there, unless I see a mixed/negative reaction. 

Up next, RT Watch. About  10 hours and twenty minutes from now.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Think I'll call it a night there, unless I see a mixed/negative reaction. 

Up next, RT Watch. About  10 hours and twenty minutes from now.

This is the closest I've found so far when it comes to a mixed reaction:

Seems to be still fresh, but maybe three out of four or three and a half out of five.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Seems to be still fresh, but maybe three out of four or three and a half out of five.

Damn I have Nemo in my Top 5 Pixar (though everyone's Top 5 is different).

Anyhow very good reactions. My only concern with Toy Story 4 was that it would just be "another" adventure without naturally continuing the themes and ideas of the first three and also retroactively ruining Toy Story 3's resolution. Thankfully doesn't seem to be the case though I am someone who was perfectly happy with what we got with Dory and Incredibles 2.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

I really was not planning on seeing this given I was disappointed with The Incredibles 2 despite the great reviews and Toy Story 3 was such a perfect conclusion that I was worried that it might feel worn out. The comments about it being unnecessary make sense in that regard, but the main problem I had with The Incredibles 2 is that it was really forgettable in comparison to the first movie. The tweets about Toy Story 4 being weird and emotional give me hope, however. Those are good signs that it might actually have a legacy to leave behind if it feels different in a good way. 

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Bob recently shifted his review scale to x/10 after he got back on the Escapist. Sounds like a 7/10 from him.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

*got time for a drive by comment*

Way too many RT approved critics nowadays for blockbusters like this.  I think the ceiling is probably 97/98.  It's the x/10 where the real battle will be, IMO. 

agreed, RT have approved so many critics/publications over the past few years that the usual number of critics that used to review movies went up from 200-300 (which was the norm only few years ago) to up to 350-450 critics in 2018/2019. 

which is why we see less and less movies having an above 95% approval rating nowadays. 

but Metacritic seem to stick with their 50 review capacity, I wonder when they'll finally change their mind and start approving more publications. 

11 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

agreed, RT have approved so many critics/publications over the past few years that the usual number of critics that used to review movies went up from 200-300 (which was the norm only few years ago) to up to 350-450 critics in 2018/2019. 

which is why we see less and less movies having an above 95% approval rating nowadays. 

but Metacritic seem to stick with their 50 review capacity, I wonder when they'll finally change their mind and start approving more publications. 

MC's critics are overwhelmingly the same as RT top critics.

The difference in avg is because they assign scores to non score/grade reviews and have their own weighted algorithm based on publication.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Pretty good chance @BoxOfficeZ has seen it by this point or will by the end of tonight, I reckon.

Any comment, BOZ?

One of the better Pixar sequels IMO. I'll be honest I had big doubts about it being on par with the original trilogy but thankfully its far more memorable than say Incredibles 2 or Dory. I'd say its on par with TS3 but the first two Toy Storys are still better. But its not 100% easy comparing the trilogy and the new one though. TS4 definitely spices it up with some unexpected things. 

Weird story elements aside, it is also fucking hilarious and pretty sure I cried a lot. Animation is gorgeous and the voice acting is as great as ever. I definitely need to chew on it some more but Pixar definitely didn't throw this together for a episode. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 9

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

One of the better Pixar sequels IMO. I'll be honest I had big doubts about it being on par with the original trilogy but thankfully its far more memorable than say Incredibles 2 or Dory. I'd say its on par with TS3 but the first two Toy Storys are still better. But its not 100% easy comparing the trilogy and the new one though. TS4 definitely spices it up with some unexpected things. 

Weird story elements aside, it is also fucking hilarious and pretty sure I cried a lot. Animation is gorgeous and the voice acting is as great as ever. I definitely need to chew on it some more but Pixar definitely didn't throw this together for a episode. 

Do you think the door is left open for more sequels?

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Don't think the embargo has even lifted but eh, he don't care.

I've never watched one of his reviews before.... That was rough... Couldn't make it half way.

Happy to see the buzz is good though (no pun intended)

Edited by Shrugged